google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Am sick of hearing BS regarding COVID by people around me including my family.

Some go on to say, "who knows if there is any disease or not". 

And there is absolutely zero fear. I am out for some registration work, only person wearing mask in entire office is me. There are atleast 50 people around here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

And as to flu season in Australia. 

• Thanks 1

Went yesterday to the beach in local tourist district. No mask in sight, no social distantion, restaurants, cafe, streets vendors, attractions and aquapark work pretty much as usual. Everything was really crowded.  People simply dont care anymore. And Ukraine went from 300-400 cases in May to 2000+ in August. With enough testing it would be probably at least 5000+.  Country simply can't afford another lockdown. Even small regional lockdowns are not welcome by local authorities. They believe that any hard restrictions will ruin their reputation and chances for reelection so it's better to do nothing at all.  With schools reopenings in a week the country is heading to a total disaster. 

Edited by juni78ukr
  • Sad 2

Coronavirus deaths are now under 1,000 a day in the US, amazing news as it was several hundred higher a day for several weeks straight. Looks like the current predominant strains being less virulent and affecting younger people more has worked out in the grand scheme of things. 

Also most states now are downtrending now in regards to all metrics which is very promising. Shout out to NY for going from the epicenter of the disease to being the best state in terms of numbers when taking population into account.

Edited by Reckoning55
  • Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 4:15 PM, RamblinRed said:

Just the general travel around the world is causing issues again. Right now you largely have to keep people from traveling much or the virus spreads and cases spike.

i worry about the US this fall and winter. Places like Australia and South Africa have had little flu because the measures that work for COVID also work for flu. But the US is so bad about doing any of the measures consistently for any period of time I fear unlike most countries that the US will get a double whammy of flu and COVID.

The SE and Plains could be a real mess in a couple of months. The Colleges are pretty determined to play football, and not only are they planning on playing, they are planning on playing with crowds (even if it is just 20-25% capacity). None of those places really have the spread contrained so that just feels like super spreader events waiting to happen. 

ALmost all experts predicting another surge in numbers when the cold weather starts for obvious reasons.....

1 hour ago, Reckoning55 said:

Coronavirus deaths are now under 1,000 a day in the US, amazing news as it was several hundred higher a day for several weeks straight. Looks like the current predominant strains being less virulent and affecting younger people more has worked out in the grand scheme of things. 

Also most states now are downtrending now in regards to all metrics which is very promising. Shout out to NY for going from the epicenter of the disease to being the best state in terms of numbers when taking population into account.

And this ground gained will be lost when the cold weather resurgence sets in...

On 8/22/2020 at 12:15 AM, RamblinRed said:

Just the general travel around the world is causing issues again. Right now you largely have to keep people from traveling much or the virus spreads and cases spike.

i worry about the US this fall and winter. Places like Australia and South Africa have had little flu because the measures that work for COVID also work for flu. But the US is so bad about doing any of the measures consistently for any period of time I fear unlike most countries that the US will get a double whammy of flu and COVID.

The SE and Plains could be a real mess in a couple of months. The Colleges are pretty determined to play football, and not only are they planning on playing, they are planning on playing with crowds (even if it is just 20-25% capacity). None of those places really have the spread contrained so that just feels like super spreader events waiting to happen. 

That is not the case here in the UK.

In the latest statistics from the official ONS data, in week 32 ( up to 7th Aug), there was 152 Covid deaths and 1,162 Flu deaths.

This is also the 8th straight week where Excess deaths are below the 5 year average.

Should also note that excess deaths which was at 65,000 at the peak of the outbreak are now at 35,000 as a running total for the year. Seems the outbreak bought forward quite a few deaths that were going to happen anyway 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending7august2020

Edited by AndyK

8 minutes ago, AndyK said:

In the latest statistics from the official ONS data, in week 32 ( up to 7th Aug), there was 152 Covid deaths and 1,162 Flu deaths.

There seems to be something way off with those numbers. If I would guess, 1162 is the number of confirmed deaths ALL YEAR due to Influenza in the UK. 

Finally went to a theatre. I was going to go over the weekend but got busy. Went today and watched Unhinged. There were only three people in that showing. Saw about 6 visible employees. Hardly any cars there this afternoon for this theatre so I'm guessing 10-15 patrons at around 1640. Over the weekend, it was probably triple that. It all seemed very clean and safe to me. I'm looking forward to seeing Tenet in a week. 

7 hours ago, Poseidon said:

There seems to be something way off with those numbers. If I would guess, 1162 is the number of confirmed deaths ALL YEAR due to Influenza in the UK. 

No those are the numbers for week 32.

We had already accumulated 32,000 Flu/pneumonia deaths by April.

_111872166_optimised-ons_total_deaths_ba

12 hours ago, AndyK said:

This is also the 8th straight week where Excess deaths are below the 5 year average.

Should also note that excess deaths which was at 65,000 at the peak of the outbreak are now at 35,000 as a running total for the year. Seems the outbreak bought forward quite a few deaths that were going to happen anyway 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending7august2020

This is not a like for like comparison. The UK figure is “influenza and pneumonia” and includes various cases of pneumonia caused by conditions other then influenza. 

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

This is not a like for like comparison. The UK figure is “influenza and pneumonia” and includes various cases of pneumonia caused by conditions other then influenza. 

Influenza doesn't kill people, death is mostly caused by a secondary pneumonia infection, which is probably why they are lumped together. The ONS reports what is on the death certificate.

Getting my first covid test. 99.99% chance it's negative. Living with a healthcare worker put me into the must test requirement after 2 symptoms. Argh

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Getting my first covid test. 99.99% chance it's negative. Living with a healthcare worker put me into the must test requirement after 2 symptoms. Argh

Best of luck!

On 8/22/2020 at 9:15 AM, RamblinRed said:

On 8/25/2020 at 8:24 AM, AndyK said:

11 hours ago, AndyK said:

Influenza doesn't kill people, death is mostly caused by a secondary pneumonia infection, which is probably why they are lumped together. The ONS reports what is on the death certificate.

Which has nothing to do with the point you were trying to make.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Best of luck!

Thank you kindly test was easy. Walked into a clinic no appointment. Waited 20 minutes, nurse only out the door in 30 minutes. Test results in 48 hours. Rapid test is available but typically you have to schedule it nearly a week out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Thank you kindly test was easy. Walked into a clinic no appointment. Waited 20 minutes, nurse only out the door in 30 minutes. Test results in 48 hours. Rapid test is available but typically you have to schedule it nearly a week out.

Makes sense.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Which has nothing to do with the point you were trying to make.  

The measures taken for Covid have had no effect on Flu deaths as shown on the ONS chart in that link.

That's the point I made, that's what the hard data says.

• Not Cool 1