DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Posted (edited)

One thing I want people in the States to think about is ramifications to your personal situation should a strong or even mild second wave occur.

My wife's hospital has not recovered. Benefits were ripped hard and they screwed with her hours big time but compensation for 6 months stayed the same. Now she is forced to work 10% more or take a 10% pay cut and she has no choice. Some of her friends were furloughed without pay so life could be WAY worse.

We're fine, we have been super conservative the past 6 months and insane as it sounds I was promoted right at the epicenter of COVID. I accepted a job in February of this year and started after the new company had already closed and went remote. To all those who can please be cautious and do you best to prepare for bad situations. I hope the majority of you are able to avoid such scenarios. All the best. 

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

One thing I want people in the States to think about is ramifications to your personal situation should a strong or even mild second wave occur.

My wife's hospital has not recovered. Benefits were ripped hard and they screwed with her hours big time but compensation for 6 months stayed the same. Now she is forced to work 10% more or take a 10% pay cut and she has no choice. Some of her friends were furloughed without pay so life could be WAY worse.

We're fine, we have been super conservative the past 6 months and insane as it sounds I was promoted right at the epicenter of COVID. I accepted a job in February of this year and started after the new company had already closed and went remote. To all those who can please be cautious and do you best to prepare for bad situations. I hope the majority of you are able to avoid such scenarios. All the best. 

From all I have been reading, it almost certain a second wave will happen with the coming of cold weather.

If Trump is relected, and then the virus gets even worse, I predict a level of turmoil and violence we have not seen snce the Civil War.

So the latest Presidential misinformation is his tweet today of flu killing over 100,000 and we don't shut down for that.

There is so much wrong with that tweet. First, the highest number we have for a flu season is an estmated 61,000. Second, even that number is the estimated modeling number two years later. The actually number of confirmed deaths would have been less than 15,000.

We have over 210,000 from COVID and that doesn't take into account the undercounting and excess deaths. 

• Thanks 2

If Trump is reelected the death tollin the US will go over a million after he adapts a "Herd Immunity "policy.

On 10/2/2020 at 7:31 AM, AndyK said:

I don't wish it on any one, but if he gets symptoms he might start taking things seriously and stop being a prize twat.

Small hope.....

Vanishingly small as it turns out.

And Trump managed to crash the market today with his breaking off of the Corona stimulus talks.

I am realy begging to think the anti viru drugs he id on are impacting his mind.

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Vanishingly small as it turns out.

It was non-existent from the start,

Stephan Miller, White House Adviser, White Supremists, and archetiect of Anti Immigrant campaign, came down tithe the virus today.

COuld not happen to a more deserving person.

Europe struggling as it approaches winter

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/07/europe/europes-gold-standard-countries-struggling-analysis-intl/index.html

Europe is bracing for a long and difficult winter. The continent's second surge of Covid-19 is well and truly here, and a summer of more relaxed restrictions is now drifting back towards the dark days of lockdown.

Even countries that had been lauded for managing to keep their coronavirus cases and deaths relatively low are witnessing historic spikes, and imposing new restrictions as a result.
According to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Controls (ECDC), as of Wednesday, none of the 31 EU, EEA and UK countries it reports data on are reporting fewer than 20 cases per 100,000 people over the past 14 days, a threshold many experts recognize as cause for alarm.
The three worst-affected nations are the Czech Republic, which reported 346.1 cases per 100,000, Spain, which has 305 cases per 100,000 and the Netherlands, which recorded 270.2 per 100,000.

Even Iceland -- which appeared over the summer to have almost eliminated the virus -- has introduced new measures that will see gyms, pubs, restaurants and nightclubs close. A recent surge has taken Iceland's cases per 100,000 to 185.4.

How can it be that countries which coped so well with the first phase of Covid are now suffering? "When you put these measures in place, you only suppress the virus, you don't eradicate it," said Simon Clarke, associate professor in microbiology at the UK's University of Reading. "When you start to lift these restrictions, it doesn't really matter what you've done previously.

Gabriel Scally, president of epidemiology and public health at the Royal Society of Medicine, believes that the European countries which initially saw success against the virus did so because "they introduced strict lockdown measures early on."
However, Scally says that when restrictions were lifted, things like quarantines and contact tracing "were not adequately enforced," unlike in places such as New Zealand and Taiwan.

"It will be very difficult to stop the virus spreading if lots of people are gathering indoors, sharing the same air," said Robert Busch, a senior lecturer in molecular immunology at the University of Roehampton.
"It's a depressing thought, but it's fair to say that closing down as many things as possible is the most effective way to suppress the virus," said Clarke. He adds that he is not optimistic that a vaccine will arrive any time soon. "In a best-case scenario, it is going to take at least two years before we know that we have a fully-effective cure. If you produced the vaccine now and started injecting it into people, you couldn't be sure that it wouldn't needing boosting again in a few months."

Some public health experts believe that certain European countries relaxed lockdowns too much over summer and are now suffering consequences not seen elsewhere in the world.
"Had more European countries followed the example of New Zealand or Taiwan, we might not be suffering such long-term misery and the prospect of a winter locked inside," said Scally. He points out that both placed a strong emphasis on isolating cases and border control. 

Which brings us back to the rock and the hard place where governments find themselves: the only way to guarantee reducing infection rates is to lock people down, yet every lockdown carries the risk of public fatigue leading to a lack of compliance.
As Clarke puts it: "Hopefully governments will be able to tone it down so the things we have to do are less onerous and less restrictive, but this isn't going away. In the short-term the best we can hope for, even with a really good vaccine, is to live with restrictions that are manageable."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dudalb said:

If Trump is reelected the death tollin the US will go over a million after he adapts a "Herd Immunity "policy.

Unfortunately, it is not out of the picture that we surpass 1M COVID deaths in the US even if Biden wins. COVID is everywhere. I fear what's going to happen in the next four months as the weather gets colder. Trump is not leaving until Jan 20th at the earliest if he loses.

On 10/5/2020 at 7:39 PM, cdsacken said:

This hits home with me. I was supposed to be let go end of August because the primary customer I support left. Well, one of my coworkers decided to retire and his last day was 8/31. So I'm still around, for now. Customers keep leaving and my employer is shipping hundreds of jobs offshore. We learned that a couple weeks ago. 

I'm actively looking because I don't feel any security at all. The job market is not good, though. In 2-3 months of looking I've only had one interesting lead, and they didn't even interview me. So we continue to hoard money and keep our eyes open. The holidays are going to be extremely scaled back in the household.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, doublejack said:

This hits home with me. I was supposed to be let go end of August because the primary customer I support left. Well, one of my coworkers decided to retire and his last day was 8/31. So I'm still around, for now. Customers keep leaving and my employer is shipping hundreds of jobs offshore. We learned that a couple weeks ago. 

I'm actively looking because I don't feel any security at all. The job market is not good, though. In 2-3 months of looking I've only had one interesting lead, and they didn't even interview me. So we continue to hoard money and keep our eyes open. The holidays are going to be extremely scaled back in the household.

Prayers to you and your family.

To add insult to injury for my wife's family her brother just quit his job without another line up. Before people think that's insane it's likely that half the team will be fired. He got 6 months paid with 6 months benefits. Better to get out now and start looking. They are willing to move so he's looking all over the country.

• Like 2

I'm the opposite, I've got more work than I can handle. Being driven by EV market and shipping tons of high value stuff to China and Japan.

Looking to take on some junior design  engineers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

FWIW, WI is opening a field hospital for COVID patients as the outbreak continues to worsen there.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/us/wisconsin-covid-outbreak/index.html

To combat the outbreak, Gov. Evers issued an emergency order limiting public gatherings to no more than 25% of a room or building's capacity. The state had previously allowed bars and restaurants to operate at 50% capacity.

The order, which went into effect Thursday morning, applies to any gatherings at locations open to the public, including stores, restaurants and other businesses with public entry, according to the release.

Still, the move is likely to be challenged in court by state Republicans, who have repeatedly sued to stop Evers' moves to stem the spread of the virus. In May, the Wisconsin Supreme Court struck down the state's stay-at-home order after Republican legislators filed suit.

Evers said Wisconsin's surge in cases began in early September and was concentrated among 18-to-24-year-olds in college communities. But over the last few weeks, new cases have shifted to older populations, he said.

_____^^^
The above is another example of the idea of keep the vulnerable safe and everyone else just get on with life does not work. It hasn't anywhere in the world.

Bringing this back around to this thread. I can't imagine this outbreak is going to help Trump in WI.

(Crosspost to a more appropriate thread)

This is exactly what has been happening in Utah. If we don’t turn it around quick, we will be in the same situation. Record high cases and hospitalizations today.

On 10/7/2020 at 11:25 AM, AndyK said:

I'm the opposite, I've got more work than I can handle. Being driven by EV market and shipping tons of high value stuff to China and Japan.

Looking to take on some junior design  engineers.

Awesome that's good to hear. I hope you can help some people that need it.

33 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Awesome that's good to hear. I hope you can help some people that need it.

Difficult because the people who are mainly affected by the restrictions and lockdowns are service sector workers. We need technical and skilled manufacturing staff, there's not many of them around and they generally aren't short of work.

3 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Difficult because the people who are mainly affected by the restrictions and lockdowns are service sector workers. We need technical and skilled manufacturing staff, there's not many of them around and they generally aren't short of work.

That stinks. Assuming you can't hire internationally because it would be tough for them to get a visa?

Like to get @Jason's thoughts on this article when he gets a chance.  Does seem to ring plausible to my non-educated look at it though.

Focusing on k though... Well, not exactly a great omen for movie theaters. qnqGT0e.png