DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

On 10/15/2020 at 12:11 PM, TwoMisfits said:

I thought Europe really doesn't do air conditioning...so it may confirm that the virus thrives in old HV systems...and really hates open windows and fresh air:)...

It may not be seasonal as much as really adapted to spreading in enclosed old HVAC environments...

Of course iti is seasonal; Weather gets cold, people catch colds, coughs and the flu more,and the Covid virus hitchhikes on those to spread. Very obvious except for those who are in denial about Covid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

The experience of the US this summer would like to say hello.

It still doesn't appear to be seasonal. It appears to lessen if people take mitigating measures like wearing masks and keeping distance. If you don't do that it doesn't matter what season it is.

Parts of Europe flared up very quickly toward the end of summer once they relaxed restrictions and people stopped using mitigating measures.

Depends on what you mean by seasonal. Covid can spread in all seasons,but some seasons are more favorable then others. Winter is almost certainly going to be more favorable to the spread of Covid for reasons I  habe repeated to kingdom come.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Depends on what you mean by seasonal. Covid can spread in all seasons,but some seasons are more favorable then others. Winter is almost certainly going to be more favorable to the spread of Covid for reasons I  habe repeated to kingdom come.

That's what I was getting at. I don't think it is seasonal in the sense that it is easier for it to survive or anything like that in any significant way. It's seasonal from the standpoint that as you mentioned whenever people are indoors more, its going to spread easier.'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

Utah, WI, IN, MO, Dakotas, parts of TX, NM all seeing all-time highs in hospitalizations

104% ICU capacity at U of U hospital now, 75% overall in the state

3 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Sounds like the USA decided to join Europe in its surge...one difference is that the USA never left the 1st wave while Europe got a welcoming lull.

The other difference is that European nations try to put it under control and it will work at some point while the US do nothing, at least at a federal levels.

3 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

That's what I was getting at. I don't think it is seasonal in the sense that it is easier for it to survive or anything like that in any significant way. It's seasonal from the standpoint that as you mentioned whenever people are indoors more, its going to spread easier.'

I think that people gets colds, coughs and the flu. and cough and sneeze alot more in the winter is a much a factor as peole being indoors more. Covid is going to "hitchike" on the common cold a lot.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Sounds like the USA decided to join Europe in its surge...one difference is that the USA never left the 1st wave while Europe got a welcoming lull.

The other difference is that European nations try to put it under control and it will work at some point while the US do nothing, at least at a federal levels.

Europe and The US (and Canada for that matter) have winter/cold weather at the same time, duh.

1 hour ago, Inceptionzq said:

But, but only Blue states have Covid problems.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

https://kutv.com/news/coronavirus/overwhelmed-nurses-three-out-of-four-icu-beds-in-utah-are-now-full

I'm actually shocked how few beds Utah has - the number hospitalized for Covid is only 237 (and most aren't ICU), and that's setting them in crisis...

What have they done for 7 months til now to increase possible needed hospital and ICU capacity...237 shouldn't break you no matter if you're Delaware or NY...and it can't be "we don't have enough docs/nurses" b/c they had months to figure that bottleneck out...I'd be upset if I was a Utah-an...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

The UK is doing worse than the USA. You hate to see it.

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

https://kutv.com/news/coronavirus/overwhelmed-nurses-three-out-of-four-icu-beds-in-utah-are-now-full

I'm actually shocked how few beds Utah has - the number hospitalized for Covid is only 237 (and most aren't ICU), and that's setting them in crisis...

What have they done for 7 months til now to increase possible needed hospital and ICU capacity...237 shouldn't break you no matter if you're Delaware or NY...and it can't be "we don't have enough docs/nurses" b/c they had months to figure that bottleneck out...I'd be upset if I was a Utah-an...

Right now it’s 290 in the hospital, and 96 in the ICU. And we’re not quite in crisis mode yet, but well along the way. There are about 600 ICU beds statewide, which means we still have about 150 open, but at the same time health care personnel shortages are becoming a problem. There are plans in place to increase that capacity if needed. We’ve got a site for a temporary hospital that can be built in less than a day, and can convert regular beds into ICU beds. And the Utah National Guard is on standby.

I really have no idea how many ICU beds per capita a state should have. But just quickly googling around, we are below average in the US. Even then, I’ll be more upset at Utah as a whole not doing enough to contain the spread than I will at our healthcare system starting to feel the strain.

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

The UK is doing worse than the USA. You hate to see it.

Proportionally speaking:

In terms of daily cases? Yes, slightly worse...but the UK is taking serious measures so it won't last while the US worsens very fast.

In terms of daily deaths? Nope, the US is clearly worse.

Besides, remember that the UK, like Europe as a whole, got a very peaceful, quiet June / early July with a very limited number of deaths while the USA never left the 1st wave.

More bad Covid numbers for the US today.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

More bad Covid numbers for the US today.

20181211-RVS-Hotels-19-Camera-Point-002-

Thank you for your contribution

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

20181211-RVS-Hotels-19-Camera-Point-002-

Thank you for your contribution

I know, but a lot of people don't really follow the news.....

Question:  Considering Biden is highly likely to win the election, what is his plan for Corona in the US? Has he discussed his plans/measures? Hopefully things will improve once Trump is shown the door

Edited by Maggie

8 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Question:  Considering Biden is highly likely to win the election, what is his plan for Corona in the US? Has he discussed his plans/measures? Hopefully things will improve once Trump is shown the door

He has a list of proposed measures on his campaign site:

https://joebiden.com/covid19/#

• Like 2

One note from above. Even if Biden is elected, he doesn't become President for 10 more weeks, and i doubt Trump if he loses is going to be in a place where he wants to do anything helpful for the country.

So it is late January before you are likely to see any significant changes in US strategy.

• Like 1

After Sidelining Scientists, Europe Plays Catchup with new Coronavirus Wave

https://www.politico.eu/article/scientists-eu-coronavirus-second-wave/

Some scientists say they're aghast at the complacency of political leaders, given that they had projected caseloads would rise in any event with the colder weather and social life returning indoors.

“We see exactly the same thing happening again — it’s like we have a communal loss of memory of what happened six months ago,” said Debby Bogaert, a professor of infectious diseases at the University of Edinburgh.

Bogaert lamented that politicians are moving at "their own speed" — and it's much slower than experts would move.

"They wait and wait and wait, whereas people in public health ... know that you need to act now — not in a week or next month — because then you're running again after the fact," she said.

But some warn a rise in deaths is now almost certain — it's simply a matter of math.

“The death rate — given the age distribution and given the incidence rate — will be exactly what it was in the spring,” said Karl Lauterbach, a German scientist and parliamentarian from the Social Democrats. And the situation will be worse, he said, in countries that “postpone important, necessary measures the longest.”

Bahar Tuncgenc, a psychologist at the University of Nottingham, said government should not blame citizens but communicate more clearly.

She said she was perplexed at why politicians didn't prepare the public for a resurgence. “There's no way governments didn't know that this would continue into the winter," Tuncgenc said. "All scientific advice was saying that.”

Looks like  a lot of new countries will join the million club this week. US 10M probably can’t quite happen before the election, likely in the week after. And started to see the inevitable increase in deaths in European countries where the 2nd wave started surges a couple weeks ago. Much more death to follow over the next several months, it would seem. And more lockdowns.