Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Recommended Posts

52k cases in France for October 25. It completely derailed, I didn't want that but we're going back to lockdown, it's like 90% sure now even if the government really doesn't want it for obvious reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

52k cases in France for October 25. It completely derailed, I didn't want that but we're going back to lockdown, it's like 90% sure now even if the government really doesn't want it for obvious reasons.

The number of deaths the next few weeks is gonna be horrifying. Lockdowns need to be reinstalled like yesterday all over Europe. I wonder if people will respect the rules this time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Covid numbers are going to rise sharply in most  countries in the Northren Hemisphere as Winter comes in.

Edited by dudalb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The number of deaths the next few weeks is gonna be horrifying. Lockdowns need to be reinstalled like yesterday all over Europe. I wonder if people will respect the rules this time

 

I won't even watch/read news, I don't want to see this again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fullbuster said:

 

I won't even watch/read news, I don't want to see this again.

Sticking your head in the sand does not do any good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Sticking your head in the sand does not do any good.

 

It does so much good, actually. As I got anxiety crisis because of negative news, since I drastically reduced my interest my health strongly improved and my well-being too. only exception was during the 1st wave in March/April and because of that my anxiety came back, it took months after that to be anxiety-free and I won't deteriorate my health once again.

 

Besides, I did all I needed to do to not get this virus, I've done what health experts told without ever being careless, it's not my fault if all these people will die, it's not worth sacrificing my health.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Sticking your head in the sand does not do any good.

It won’t make covid numbers any better, but it won’t make them worse either. Probably good for personal mental health. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think the Covid numbers are going to rise sharply in most  countries in the Northren Hemisphere as Winter comes in.

Truly shocking. Who could have seen this coming. If only there was a very similar pandemic 100 years ago, whose seasonal progression could have been used as a predictive guide...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

It won’t make covid numbers any better, but it won’t make them worse either. Probably good for personal mental health. 

Maybe, but I have found out that hard way that running away or ignoring tough problems only makes things worse.

That is the bad thing about ignoring reality...it always comes back to kick you in the butt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dudalb said:

Maybe, but I have found out that hard way that running away or ignoring tough problems only makes things worse.

That is the bad thing about ignoring reality...it always comes back to kick you in the butt.

Ignoring your own problems often doesn’t end well, but being able to deemphasize other people’s problems is a key skill in the modern informational environment.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

Truly shocking. Who could have seen this coming. If only there was a very similar pandemic 100 years ago, whose seasonal progression could have been used as a predictive guide...

Public Health Experts have been warning about a Cold weather Second wave since the pandemic began, but, as usual, people did not listen .

One of the major problems with the virus has been people not wanting to face the reality.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WandaLegion said:

Ignoring your own problems often doesn’t end well, but being able to deemphasize other people’s problems is a key skill in the modern informational environment.

Then the modern information  environement will lead us to catastrophe.

I see the idea of "Public Duty As A Citizen" does not have much of a place in your reality.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Then the modern information  environement will lead us to catastrophe.

I see the idea of "Public Duty As A Citizen" does not have much of a place in your reality.

 

Explain to me how obsessively following every bit of COVID news is related to "public duty as a citizen"?

Edited by Menor
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Then the modern information  environement will lead us to catastrophe.

I see the idea of "Public Duty As A Citizen" does not have much of a place in your reality.

 

Feels like you’re just being willfully obtuse about this at this point.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree for me I got tired of watching daily updates of watching covid-19 numbers and stats when I knew it didn't mean any change of status. Not for a lack of caring though since I've been doing the right thing since lockdowns have begun.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Truly shocking. Who could have seen this coming. If only there was a very similar pandemic 100 years ago, whose seasonal progression could have been used as a predictive guide...

Actually, the Imperial model which guided the first lockdowns also predicted a bigger second wave.

 

Perversely, the model also predicted no or much smaller second wave if there were no lockdowns for the first wave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2020 at 2:08 AM, DeeCee said:

 

 

The lockdown has been controversial. It’s treating the problem with a sledgehammer but it has been highly effective. @Darth Lehnsherr would know more about what it’s been like living in Melbourne for the last few months. 


*In Australia all new arrivals from overseas must go into 14 days of hotel flights. If you leave Victoria and go to another state you also must hotel quarantine for 14 days. 

Lockdown has proved to be the only successful way of reducing cases. Track & trace is failing in  pretty much every European country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Menor said:

Explain to me how obsessively following every bit of COVID news is related to "public duty as a citizen"?

 

There's only one "public duty as a citizen": doing everything you can to not get infected, which will help hospitals and health workers.

That's all.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the internet age, I think we have often confused what "our public duty as a citizen" is....we're always thinking we have to think in these huge, broad terms now...when the best thing we can do is start at home and branch out.  Nobody really needs to know at all times every single solitary detail about Covid and foreign policy and economic status, etc, etc.  But they do need to know how to keep themselves safe, healthy, and secure...and then how to do the same for their immediate family...and then how to help their extended family, friends, and neighbors with the same...and spiraling out as far as one is able...like ripples in a pond...

 

It's the old "charity begins at home" concept...you can bring about the most effect on that which is closest to you, and you need to have that positive effect...if you forget that which is close to wage a campaign on that which is far, you normally fail both, and get wildly discouraged through the process...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the surge in cases, it seems like the surge in deaths is also beginning in Europe :( 367 deaths today in the UK, 221 in Italy.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.