DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

15 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

It’s genuinely staggering just how badly the UK government has handled this. These hilariously ineffective “tiers” are clearly not working but BoJo and his mates seem content to sit at the nose of the Titanic while it sinks.

I saw a report earlier today on ITV News that London currently had an R rate of 2.8 (and rising) but is still somehow in tier 2? Utterly ludicrous, and it just shows where their priorities are: Money over health.

I can’t wait to vote these clowns out.

The UK's government handling of this, bad as it is, is a freaking model of competence compared to how the US under Trump had handled it......

9 hours ago, AndyK said:

In hindsight, the first lockdown was a mistake.

We were already over the peak and heading into summer when they locked down and spent 15+% GDP doing it.

Now we are at 100+% debt/GDP and nothing to show for it, right back where we started.

Sweden held their nerve and are sitting at 37% dept/GDP and have money in the bank for anything that hits them this winter. 

God, you just will l not  give up on Herd Immunity, will you?

9 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

So it's okay now measure thousands of dead people in % of GDP? How many dollars or pounds cost exactly a human life? Next step would be that it's okay to let old people die because they are useless for the national ecomomy. That's pretty much what Sweden did. 

I think money matters more then people to most advocates of Herd Immunity...though never expect them to  admit it.

Couple of COVID related articles.

First, Pence hasn't been on a Task Force planning call in over a month

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/29/pence-absent-coronavirus-calls-433637

second, Dr. Birx made a decision after a Task Force meeting in August that she would never attend another one that had Dr. Atlas in it. Instead she would travel directly to states

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/29/politics/deborah-birx-task-force-scott-atlas/index.html

Dr. Deborah Birx emerged from a meeting at the White House one day in late summer with a new resolution: Never again would she sit in a meeting with Dr. Scott Atlas and listen to him pontificate on the pandemic.

That's when she went all-in on a plan to essentially abandon the White House and avoid the growing influence of Atlas, a radiologist with no expertise in epidemiology who was nevertheless rising in influence with President Donald Trump.
Birx, a physician with decades of experience in global health, told a friend that she would take her message directly to the people and simply sidestep the kind of misleading messages she'd just heard from Atlas in that meeting.

"If she can't get it done in the White House, the way to do it is go into the field and use personal diplomacy to convince politicians there is a right way to do this and a right way to approach things, and the consequences of failure are significant," 
"Without an authority coordinating things centrally, the only thing you can do is make people aware of the facts and the truth, and my guess is this is her solution,"

San Francisco halted it's reopening because of the rising virus numbers.

Trump is back saying doctors are inflating the Covid numbers, and his cultist were chanting Superman becuase he recovered.

US in on the verge of goinb back into the middle ages.

Trump will be history in three days. Hopefully Biden and his team will get things under control regarding Corona

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Trump will be history in three days. Hopefully Biden and his team will get things under control regarding Corona

The problem is he won't be done in 3 days, even if he loses.

First, his campaign is apparently drawing up plans for him to continue holding rallies post-election day. He really didn't 'govern' much the last 3 3/4 years and he certainly won't start his last 10 weeks. Heck, i'd expect him to do worse as he would see losing as Americans treating him unfairly.

Second, if he does lose on Tuesday he remains President until Jan 20, 2021. So we have at least 10 more weeks with his team as the leaders and it will be during the worst part of the pandemic in all likelihood.

Yeah, if there's one thing that has me worried about a Trump loss is that he and his crew would spend the interim period pretty much abandoning any shred of responsibility they still had and let COVID run wild so Biden has a bigger mess to clean up come January.

Edited by cookie

so we are about to have another so-called lockdown. I just hope I can still go to the office as of next week... I fucking hate working from home so much. 

On 6/13/2020 at 2:24 PM, WandaLegion said:

This reminds me of when people thought there wouldn’t be a first wave of shutdowns, lol. If you don’t take appropriate mitigation measures to force the R_0 into a manageable R_t, eventually you end up as a Lombardy/NYC with ambulance sirens 24/7 and hospitals packed with corpses. And then you lockdown.    

The only way to avoid locking down is by effectively deploying gentler mitigation measures in time instead, but if the public won’t cooperate enough...

Evergreen post, lmfao

So yesterday in the US we were avg more than 1 case per second and 1 death less than every 2 minutes (but the numbers are almost nothing according to Jr).

i suspect within a couple of weeks that deaths in the US will be at a rate of 1 per minute or worse.

Down to zero community transmission in Australia yesterday. That’s the 24 hours to 8pm Saturday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fauci criticizes White House, new interview with Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/fauci-covid-winter-forecast/2020/10/31/e3970eb0-1b8b-11eb-bb35-2dcfdab0a345_story.html

“We’re in for a whole lot of hurt. It’s not a good situation,” Anthony S. Fauci, the country’s leading infectious-disease expert, said in a wide-ranging interview late Friday. “All the stars are aligned in the wrong place as you go into the fall and winter season, with people congregating at home indoors. You could not possibly be positioned more poorly.”

Fauci said former vice president Joe Biden’s campaign “is taking it seriously from a public health perspective.” Trump, Fauci said, is “looking at it from a different perspective.” He said that perspective was “the economy and reopening the country.”

Fauci said the White House coronavirus task force meets less frequently and has far less influence as the president and his top advisers have focused on reopening the country. “Right now, the public health aspect of the task force has diminished greatly,” he said.

“I have real problems with that guy,” Fauci said of Atlas. “He’s a smart guy who’s talking about things that I believe he doesn’t have any real insight or knowledge or experience in. He keeps talking about things that when you dissect it out and parse it out, it doesn’t make any sense.”

Fauci said he actually appreciated chief of staff Mark Meadows saying last weekend on CNN that the administration was not going to control the pandemic. “I tip my hat to him for admitting the strategy,” he said. “He is straightforward in telling you what’s on his mind. I commend him for that.”

At one point during the interview, Fauci said he needed to be careful with his words because he would be blocked from doing appearances in the future.

Judd Deere, a White House spokesman, offered blistering criticism of Fauci for his comments in a statement to The Washington Post on Saturday. Deere said Fauci “knows the risks [from the coronavirus] today are dramatically lower than they were only a few months ago.”

“It’s unacceptable and breaking with all norms for Dr. Fauci, a senior member of the President’s Coronavirus Task Force and someone who has praised President Trump’s actions throughout this pandemic, to choose three days before an election to play politics,” Deere said. “As a member of the Task Force, Dr. Fauci has a duty to express concerns or push for a change in strategy, but he’s not done that, instead choosing to criticize the President in the media and make his political leanings known by praising the President’s opponent — exactly what the American people have come to expect from The Swamp.”

Earlier in the pandemic, Fauci said he and Birx would agree on a message that Birx, who works out of the White House and once met with the president almost every day, would deliver to Trump.

“All of a sudden, they didn’t like what the message was because it wasn’t what they wanted to do anymore,” he said. “They needed to have a medical message that was essentially consistent with what they were saying.

“And one of the ways to say the outbreak is over is [to say] it’s really irrelevant because it doesn’t make any difference. All you need to do is prevent people from dying and protect people in places like the nursing homes,” Fauci said. “And because of that, Debbie almost never ever sees the president anymore. The only medical person who sees the president on a regular basis is Scott Atlas. It’s certainly not Debbie Birx.”

“He insists he’s not somebody who’s pushing for herd immunity,” Fauci said of Atlas. “He says, ‘That’s not what I mean.’ [But] everything he says — when you put them together and stitch them together — everything is geared toward the concept of ‘it doesn’t make any difference if people get infected. It’s a waste of time. Masks don’t work. Who cares,’ and the only thing you need to do is protect the vulnerable, like people in the nursing homes,” Fauci said.

Fauci said that many people who catch the virus recover “virologically” but will have chronic health problems.

“The idea of this false narrative that if you don’t die, everything is hunky dory is just not the case,” he said. “But to say, ‘Let people get infected, it doesn’t matter, just make sure people don’t die’ — to me as a person who’s been practicing medicine for 50 years, it doesn’t make any sense at all.”