google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

However, Trump can take huge credit in creating a market for the vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First night away from kid in over 4 years in 12 days.

That seems insane

Covid hotel deal. Place normally would cost nearly double the rate. 

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

Defense Sectratary   Espy just fired ;I ma betting Fauci is next. We are in for a tough couple of month.

Of course about five minutes after Fauci is fired, he will get a phone call from Biden saying that just about any Health related job in the US Governmenet he wants is his...

My bet is that Dr. Birx doesn't stay on for Biden's Presidency.  She's been here through Bush, Obama, and Trump, but I think there will simply be too much baggage. 

Opinions?  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/09/politics/deborah-birx-biden-coronavirus/index.html

Edited by Macleod

Great news on the vaccine development. But we still have a long winter to go before most will be able to get it.

Makes even more sense now to take precautions as much as possible.

The US continues to worsen quickly. Probably tomorrow we will have our highest hospitalization number ever. Given our current deaths are a reflection of where we were 2-3 weeks ago, I shudder to think of where our deaths are going to be in 2-3 weeks. 

1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

I shudder to think of where our deaths are going to be in 2-3 weeks. 

Should be about 2k 7-day average in 3 weeks:

On 11/8/2020 at 1:35 PM, cax16 said:

@Jason

Seems like Ford and co have given up in Ontario right? We seem pretty screwed with case counts rising and easing of restrictions? And those new lockdown metrics are a joke right? 

Yes, the new guidelines for restrictions are basically waving the white flag while trying to pretend otherwise. The choice of thresholds for lockdown restrictions are basically a joke, they're 4x higher than what the province's own panel of experts recommended.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yes, the new guidelines for restrictions are basically waving the white flag while trying to pretend otherwise. The choice of thresholds for lockdown restrictions are basically a joke, they're 4x higher than what the province's own panel of experts recommended.

What's going on, some context please?

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Cases in Toronto and Peel are huge today and keeping those places lockdown while opening other things in York Region just makes no sense. Anyone from Toronto can just cross Steeles and come eat in York region etc. Ford has really done a terrible job since the Summer and things look to be heading to disaster level now.

17 minutes ago, AndyK said:

What's going on, some context please?

Our Premier in Ontario has basically stopped listening to doctors and opened things back up(In certain areas that border even harder hit regions), and when I say border I mean people who live in Toronto and can walk across one street to my region and eat in our restaurants etc.

Our cases are at an all time high, our contact tracing situation is awful and the new guidelines they set for lockdowns are an absolute joke which means things are only going to get (even more)ugly, fast. 

Edited by cax16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

Our Premier in Ontario has basically stopped listening to doctors and opened things back up(In certain areas that border even harder hit regions), and when I say border I mean people who live in Toronto and can walk across one street to my region and eat in our restaurants etc.

Our cases are at an all time high, our contact tracing situation is awful and the new guidelines they set for lockdowns are an absolute joke which means things are only going to get (even more)ugly, fast. 

I fuess for is Canada's answer to the governor of Florida...

Apparentlyl the new vaccine takes at least two shots to become effective,and at best we will have Ten to Fiftene Million doses in the first batch..not nearly enough.

Bottom line is even with a new vaccine we will have to have social distancing and other restrictions for months to come. TGhis is going to be a long.long, haul.

Real problem is a total lack of leadership it the US and a couple of other countires as well. Politicians think they have to happy talk and make people feel good all the time, rather then level with them and prepare them for sacrifices that will have to be made. We need a Winston Churchill ..someone who can give a "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat" type speech.

• Thanks 1

We are being warned to expect the worst Covid numbers yet in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile Trump seem intent on burning the house down. GOd, the US is in deep shit.

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Bottom line is even with a new vaccine we will have to have social distancing and other restrictions for months to come. TGhis is going to be a long.long, haul.

I'd say we have to dive through this whole winter without the vaccine (or nearly as if there was none) ... let's say mass distribution begins in Jan and distribution gets restricted to medical personnel and people with a lot of social contacts (police / teachers ...), then it would take at least until, say, mid-March (those are a lot of people, already, and the 2nd "booster" is given three weeks after the first). Until then, we need more or less severe restrictions. Once medical personnel and so on are vaccinated, I guess we could return to "normal" measures (mask use, distancing).

1 hour ago, IndustriousAngel said:

I'd say we have to dive through this whole winter without the vaccine (or nearly as if there was none) ... let's say mass distribution begins in Jan and distribution gets restricted to medical personnel and people with a lot of social contacts (police / teachers ...), then it would take at least until, say, mid-March (those are a lot of people, already, and the 2nd "booster" is given three weeks after the first). Until then, we need more or less severe restrictions. Once medical personnel and so on are vaccinated, I guess we could return to "normal" measures (mask use, distancing).

At least in the US, there will be about Ten Millin doses in early 2021, but those will go to themost vulnerable..senior citizensand health workers probalby. probably. The idea that once we have a baccine everything will be back to normal overnight is stupid....but you know a lot ofpeople will believe that because they want to beleive it.

October hospitalization peak bites the dust. With today’s numbers it seems that we may head for over 1M cases this week alone and beat Spring ICU peak and spring 7-day avg death peak before Dec!    

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

State health officials in the US have told CNN that they are feeling “overwhelmed” and “daunted” at the prospect of distributing Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine, should it become widely available soon.

On Monday, Pfizer announced that early data from its Phase 3 trial showed its vaccine was more than 90% effective. The drug giant could apply for authorization from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as early as this month. 

The vaccine's handling requirements are stringent — it has to be stored at about minus-75 degrees Celsius (minus-103 Fahrenheit), more than 50 degrees Celsius lower than any other vaccine currently on the market in the US.

The required conditions are far colder than the temperatures in freezers kept in doctors' offices, pharmacies and public health clinics.

Molly Howell, who’s in charge of the immunization program in North Dakota, said she felt “overwhelmed” and “daunted” while watching a webinar last month on how to distribute Pfizer’s vaccine. 

"How are we going to do this?” she texted a colleague who was also on the webinar. 

Her colleague responded with an exploding head emoji.

Pfizer has offered “thermal shippers” about the size of a suitcase to keep the vaccine cold. They’re only temporary, and need to be replenished with dry ice every five days. 

“It would be hard to with a straight face say, ‘Oh, we're all set,’” said Christine Finley, Vermont’s immunization program manager. 

“[This] equals a challenge I don’t think we’ve ever seen before.” 

HHS Director Azar says that Pfizer is contracted for 20M doses a month - so that is 10M people. 

There is a little bit of a double caveat with the Pfizer vaccine. First, it takes 2 doses - which causes complications in itself. More importantly, the supple chain isn't figured out yet. How do you transport it? How do you store it? 

California surpasses 18,000 coronavirus deaths, nears 1 million cases

Texas set a new record for Covid-19 cases identified in a day

Oregon pauses reopening amid "frightening reality" as case rises threaten hospital capacity

Philadelphia in a "dangerous period" as city reports record number of new cases

70% of Covid-19 outbreaks linked to private gatherings, bars and restaurants, says Minnesota governorMinnesota Governor Tim Walz said that more than 70% of the state's outbreaks between June and November were linked to weddings, private social gatherings, and late nights at bars and restaurants. 

Vaccine could be available to average Americans by April, says Fauci

Iowa hospital capacity "at risk" as state reports more than 21,000 Covid-19 cases in seven days 

Restaurants, gyms and cafes account for large majority of Covid-19 cases in cities, modeling study finds

A small minority of places people frequent account for a large majority of coronavirus infections in big cities, according to a new modeling study.

The study, published in the journal Nature on Tuesday, suggests that reducing maximum occupancy in such places -- including restaurants, gyms, cafes and hotels -- can substantially slow the spread of illness.

"Our model predicts that capping points-of-interest at 20% of maximum occupancy can reduce the infections by more than 80%, but we only lose around 40% of the visits when compared to a fully reopening with usual maximum occupancy," Jure Leskovec, an author of the study and associate professor of computer science at Stanford University, said during a news briefing on Tuesday.