DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Things are bout to get really ugly in the states

In Michigan, the delusional republicans want to impeach the governor, who enjoys broad support among voters. Meanwhile we're heading toward more than 10,000 cases a day here and our hospitals are on the brink of collapsing under the strain. I think the temporary hospitals that were created back in the spring are going to have to be recreated. I am assuming they were decommissioned a while ago.

https://www.fox47news.com/news/coronavirus/michigan-hospitals-filling-with-covid-19-cases-at-an-alarming-rate

Michigan hospitals filling with COVID-19 cases at an alarming rate

Beaumont, Spectrum Health, Henry Ford and Munson Healthcare leaders are asking everyone to help frontline workers by following the health department guidelines for Coronavirus as inpatient volume has now tripled over the last 4 weeks.

Capacity issues are happening at hospitals around the state now as they're seeing a significant escalation in community spread of COVID-19.

I'll keep this non-political, but the views encountered by this nurse are exactly why COVID is not controlled and will not be controlled in the US. The well has been poisoned.

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I'll keep this non-political, but the views encountered by this nurse are exactly why COVID is not controlled and will not be controlled in the US. The well has been poisoned.

And this is why I am so tough on the denial of reality we see here. It might start in a seemingly harmless way...saying a flop of failed movie is somehow a huge sucess..but that kind of though process tends to spread, and soon you  have  situation in the above tweet.

I am becoming so cynical about this that I am almost at a "Well, it's evolution in action;natutr is culling the herd and improving the breed" excpet the bozos might spread it to other people.

• Like 1

More good news on the vaccine front,but it will take months for the vaccines to become wildly available  and it going to be a horrid five or six months.

People still want a quick ,instant silver buller fix. It's not going to happen.

41 minutes ago, dudalb said:

More good news on the vaccine front,but it will take months for the vaccines to become wildly available  and it going to be a horrid five or six months.

People still want a quick ,instant silver buller fix. It's not going to happen.

I think it will be toward the end of 2021 or into 2022 before much of the US, Canada, Europe, etc have been vaccinated to the point that it has an impact. Wide availability is not close, and for both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines remember that two doses are required so you have to cut the quoted supply in half to get an idea of how many people they will cover.

Edited by doublejack
  • Like 2

It’s all a bit surreal watching this play out from a place where we have returned to normal or as near can be without a vaccine. 

I mean here if u look at the second wave here, it really only hit Victoria which after heavy lockdowns has managed to stop the spread. (17+ days of 0 new cases). At its peak it reached close to 1000/day. That is in a city of over 4m. This virus can be controlled. It may look like overreactions but that little of pain can return quicker to normal instead of a never ending battle. 

rn there is small cluster in Adelaide (up 20 or so atm) but nearly all states have shut borders and Adelaide has returned to restrictions (not fully but u get the idea)

anyway as a result it means in QLD at least cinemas and restaurants are allowed to fill again. Major football match tomorrow will be allowed 100% capacity. The list goes on. With some sense this can be controlled and we can live it as a result. 

sad to see how other counties are dealing.  Wishing everyone good health. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, doublejack said:

Not to be insensitive, since it's unfortunate for their families and friends, but it's hard to feel sympathy for any of them when they easily go along with the flagrant idiocy this incompetent administration is spouting and sticking with it all the way to the bitter end instead of admitting they were wrong.

Whoever said in this thread earlier that once our (thankfully) soon to be ex-president and his cult-like followers (who lap up anything he says even if it has zero basis in reality) politicized the disease we were officially at the point of no return is right on the money.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, IndustriousAngel said:

@AndyK - finally a REAL arument against masks - they're outright dangerous it seems!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8953491/Cocker-spaniel-puppy-Ralph-dies-eating-fabric-Covid-face-mask.html

@AndyK

(Industrious, your ping was not ~ marked, so I think it didn‘t work)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, IndustriousAngel said:

@AndyK - finally a REAL arument against masks - they're outright dangerous it seems!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8953491/Cocker-spaniel-puppy-Ralph-dies-eating-fabric-Covid-face-mask.html

Dogs are indeed dangerous.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/17/dog-walkers-are-78-more-likely-to-catch-coronavirus-13606498/

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So this how Australia reacts to an outbreak /cluster. 20 or so cases total in part of Adelaide (pop 1m approx)

full lockdown for 6 days in Adelaide to stop it in its tracks. All state borders closed to SA.  🤔 possibly an overreaction but if it stops the virus here then worth doing. 

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/sa-covid-restrictions-lockdown-for-adelaide-essential-workers-only-no-exercise-c-1602556

NSW hasn’t closed the border. 

Meanwhile, in Brisbane. 

The Federal government could be doing a bit more IMO. A large measure of Australia's success has been our Premiers willing to take decisive action, sometimes against the wishes of the federal government, and then when they do succeed, ol' Scott can kick and take credit. But almost all of our outbreaks have been linked in some way to insecure and/or casualised work, which for a long time has appeared to be the Coalition's endgame.

FWIW, I think we are extremely fortunate to live in Australia, the only other Western country not to completely blow it is NZ. We have somehow managed to luck our way to success again. We are the lucky country after all, but of course the full quote is "a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck". I'd like the federal government to step up to the challenge a bit more and swallow their ideological pride. 

• Like 1

Only seven people online atm! I hope this forum doesn't die out even if the box office does.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 11:53 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Fuck, first covid case in my family (at least that we know of). Just found out earlier that my grandad got covid.

Passed away a couple hours ago. I wasn't very close with him but this still sucks quite a bit.

• Sad 10

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

Is this more of your herd immunity nonsense? 10% of people getting short-term immunity won't make vaccines redundant dude.

• Like 2

Board's been janky all day (and still is on some of my devices) so I wasn't able to post this earlier, but looks like the US is gonna hit 2000 deaths in a day again real soon now:

EnJkJAsVoAIo9Ix?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by Porthos
  • Sad 1