google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

In better news, looks like immunity might be on the longer side.... For most people:

EnCvnaDXMAEACKS?format=png&name=900x900

EnDbC7EVgAA9I7_?format=jpg&name=small

Now this research has NOT been peer-reviewed yet (or even published yet in a scientific journal according to the NYT link).  If confirmed, this would be fantastic news for the long term, IMO.

And it does seem to make some sense as this part of the NYT article mentions:

And the research squares with another recent finding: that survivors of SARS, caused by another coronavirus, still carry certain important immune cells 17 years after recovering.

Now all diseases are different, of course.  But this might be an encouraging sign that COVID-19 might be more like SARS than the common cold.

Wait for peer-review and other studies, of course.  But an encouraging sign, nonetheless.

Like to get @Jason's thoughts on this if I could to see if he agrees or not as well as to see what sort of pitfalls might be lurking here.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

On 11/18/2020 at 8:48 PM, lab276 said:

Only seven people online atm! I hope this forum doesn't die out even if the box office does.

Jinx 

• Haha 1

Just f'ing vertical spikes everywhere.

At the current rate hospitalizations would hit 100K on Thanksgiving.

(I'm assuming BoF was down for a while. This is the first ive been able to access it in over a day)

• Sad 1

South Australia went into an extremely harsh lockdown simply because one person claimed he picked up a pizza rather then say he actually worked at the pizza place. 

Cruising to a new 7-day avg daily death record in ~13 days. This is gonna be a grim fucking December — I would consider less than 100k deaths in the month a relatively good outcome at this point. Previous monthly record is April with just (“just”) 60k!

• Sad 1

Super glad at least the transition is going smoothly, and Biden will have access to all of the important information for covid. What a great country.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Jinx 

That was unlucky. But I still can’t access on my laptop. Only my phone for some reason. 

On 11/18/2020 at 7:45 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Is this more of your herd immunity nonsense? 10% of people getting short-term immunity won't make vaccines redundant dude.

Did you not read the articles?

Germany seems to be heading for stricter measures as well... after the "lockdown light" of the last three weeks, measures are poised to become tougher after next weeks government-states discussions. Rate of increase has decreased a bit but numbers of daily infections are still high with a new record set today. It still seems that everything is done to prevent schools from closing again, though more and more states are at least contemplating hybrid models of schooling and early christmas breaks.

It is assumed they will re-introduce the rule that only members of two households can meet at the same time nation-wide (it is a recommendation right now and only a rule in some states). They will probably not yet decide on what measures will be in place for christmas. While some argue that the strict rules must specifically be implemented for christmas to prevent the holidays from becoming a super-spread-event in itself, others want "lighter" rules for the 24-26th with stricter rules again afterwards and a cancellation of all new year's eve gatherings/parties, including a ban on fireworks in order to not further add pressure on hospitals and emergency rooms.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 1

It’ very simple, there should be no multi-household Thanksgiving allowed this year and no multi household Xmas allowed.   

I suspect many govts will not follow through that basic truth.

• Like 1

FWIW, yesterday's deaths total was the 18th highest since the pandemic began in the US.

The death numbers right now look very similar to the 1st-2nd week of April (4/7-4/12). Deaths peaked 2 weeks later- but of course at that time you had our shelter at home going on and you didn't have 2 Holidays and colder weather coming.

21 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

It’ very simple, there should be no multi-household Thanksgiving allowed this year and no multi household Xmas allowed.   

I think there will be recommendations to limit the holidays to one household... but in most countries it will not be a rule that is enforced. Maybe a limitation to 2-3 households but not one. The fear that a "cancellation" of the holidays will stir more opposition to the restrictions will be too high to make this politically "opportune". And I kind of get it.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

FWIW, yesterday's deaths total was the 18th highest since the pandemic began in the US.

The death numbers right now look very similar to the 1st-2nd week of April (4/7-4/12). Deaths peaked 2 weeks later- but of course at that time you had our shelter at home going on and you didn't have 2 Holidays and colder weather coming.

Let’s enjoy the sub-3000 death days while we still can 🙃🙃🙃🙃

I don't really believe they will make a "one household christmas" in Germany (or the US).

Maybe I am wrong but those countries that have it mostly under control seem to be either situated on an island, have very strict lockdowns (for a few weeks) or both. 

While Germany is doing a little bit here, a little bit there.

I am currently still a student (about one year left), but already teaching four hours at a school - chemistry in grade 8 - I simply can't believe that it took the senator of education (Bremen) until Wednesday to finally implement any real kind of rule for schools and now kinda acts like she is miss "get things done" and kinda sounds like she didn't just last week say no class should be split in half, no masks in classes and whatever.

What really pisses me off are those ********** parents that put the child on stage and let her say that she feels like Anne Frank: What the bloody f*** is wrong in their head to compare the current situation to the holocaust and they are completely unfit to be parents: You don't put an eleven year old child on stage and let her say that.

And those comparisons of the Infektionsschutzgesetz (Infection protection law) with the Ermächtigungsgesetz (Enabling act of 1933) make me just as mad, what goes on in their mind to say that those situation are in any shape or form comparable. Chancellor Merkel and the government can't do whatever they want (which they could if it actually were a new enabling act), they are still bound by the basic law (our constitution). And the protesters act like they aren't allowed to protest (which they are and do and even if they don't wear a mask the police quite often does nothing or warns them and then takes forever to move in, they now once (I think) actually used water cannons), like they can't say what they think (which they do, constantly everywhere, while not being open to discuss anything).

Like they say they aren't nazis but have no problems walking with Nazis (people that say Germany (as BRD) doesn't exist, the GG (basic law) isn't our constitution so they don't have to follow and whatever other things they say or think) or using the talking points of Nazis and they have zero problems comparing everything the government does to the Nazis.

And regarding the "Unverletzbarkeit der Wohnung) (the government can't enter homes), there are already certain cases named in the basic law that allow the law enforcement / government to enter (apart from the "ordered by a judge" to find evidence to convict a known criminal (arrest warrant) etc., they can when someones life is in danger or the public safety is in danger or to protect teenagers and kids from danger and they can in the case of an infectious disease - without that point getting specified) -> it has to get specified in a law (the infection protection law). And despite that governments can't enter when ever they please (entering a home without any real reason won't hold in front of any court). If there is a person that has COVID-19 and they know that and enter (if there is a party happening) that's a different thing.

I do think that the government didn't do a great job and should have gotten the parliament involved during the summer, while cases were few. Considering ruling with government orders is something that I simply can't agree with, during the first wave in March, April (and May) that was obviously the way to go to insure a quick reaction, but we had a rather calm May, June, July and August (with low case numbers especially in June and July) so there was the time to get it done to talk about it in the parliament and decide on a law.

If the government would try something like Australia (or any other country the did real lockdowns, not a lockdown light), I am pretty certain protest would increase in numbers a lot and they probably will turn (more, they tried to get into the parliament building and apart from that they were mostly peaceful) violent.

• Like 2

185 045 new cases and 2045 deaths.  First day with more than 2000 deaths since early May.

9 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

How the hell do you enforce that rule?

Not to menition that in the US even trying to enforce it would be probably be unconstitutional.Governments can recommend and jawbone something like this, bu they can't really enforce it.

Yeah, they can't make people avoid gathering with their families in their homes for the holidays. They just need to hope that everyone will use good judgement (which unfortunately a lot of people won't because "it's a free country" blah blah blah).

Edited by filmlover