google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

THis is an excellent article showing what it took to get the latest relief bill across the finish line. For better and worse, this is what real governing looks like.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/21/how-stimulus-bill-got-done-449722

Just to add to some of the discussion from above, it should be noted that every country has its own culture and the US is no exception. There is a strong mistrust of government built into US culture going all the way back to its founding. At times it can turn destructive (like we are seeing now) and at times it can be helpful. But that mistrust was built into the government itself. Unlike many countries, if a majority of people approve of a policy, that is not good enough. You need more of a supernajority, 60%+, in order to be able to implement policy as a law. That was created from the very beginning with how the Federal government was set up. You have to have a proposed bill that can pass both houses of Congress as well as a potential Presidential veto. And when it comes down to it there are not alot of policies in the US that can clear that 60%+ margin. 

It also means that anything that passes is going to have to be a compromise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dudalb said:

Not really, you pay for it in your taxes.

A duel earning family making 50000 pounds ($66k USD) takes home 55k USD after income taxes and NI.

In US for the $66k gross income you are looking at $9598 in taxes (FICA/Federal) and state income taxes. Average family insurance premium is $1100 monthly and dental is separate (Add $1k per year)

$66000-$9600-$12100-$1000= Take is $43300. UK is way better because their out of pocket expenses are way way lower.

It's literally not even close. I lived in England for 3 years.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 12:42 AM, AndyK said:

That's crazy, I have private health insurance here in the UK, it costs £2000 per year and until the kids were adults, it covered everyone in the family.

I had a tendon repair operation on the shoulder around 10 years ago and the surgical costs and private hospital cost £1500.

You are being ripped off royally.

Don't I know it! I lived in England for 3 years and spent next to nothing. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cdsacken said:

A duel earning family making 50000 pounds ($66k USD) takes home 55k USD after income taxes and NI.

In US for the $66k gross income you are looking at $9598 in taxes (FICA/Federal) and state income taxes. Average family insurance premium is $1100 monthly and dental is separate (Add $1k per year)

$66000-$9600-$12100-$1000= Take is $43300. UK is way better because their out of pocket expenses are way way lower.

It's literally not even close. I lived in England for 3 years.

There's quite a high threshold before you start paying tax here, around £12k. But taxes can be quite steep for a middle income single earner.

Tax rate is 21% from 12 to approx 38k, then 40% above that. On top of that there is National insurance, which is another 12% on the first 33k and 2% after that. Plus employer pays another 12% national insurance.

I would say personal taxes are pretty high, the problem we have here is not enough people are in the middle/high brackets to give a decent tax take so indirect taxes like VAT and fuel duty are also quite high.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Tax rate is 21% from 12 to approx 38k, then 40% above that

is that gradual (on a sheet looking like a curve, not sure about the correct term in English) or in one big step?

20 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

is that gradual (on a sheet looking like a curve, not sure about the correct term in English) or in one big step?

One big step.

In other news 

The good news, Pfizer says it can tweak the vaccine in 6 weeks.

Edited by AndyK
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

One big step.

that seems to be.... excessive 

Here its gradual, and the increase counts only for what is above the previous (little) step

the tweaking possibilities seem to be good, I hope it holds

The new variant was detect due to the UKs comprehensive surveillance but other countries are not doing this, why not?

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

The new variant was detect due to the UKs comprehensive surveillance but other countries are not doing this, why not?

It's almost as if the UK is being penalised for being honest and helpful with their findings

4 hours ago, AndyK said:

One big step.

In other news 

The good news, Pfizer says it can tweak the vaccine in 6 weeks.

But, testing the tweak will take a bit longer than 6 weeks, or?

9 minutes ago, Thomas Beck said:

But, testing the tweak will take a bit longer than 6 weeks, or?

I would imagine the general formula remains the same with tweaks used from previously tested ingredients. Then again I'm not a scientist  

10 hours ago, AndyK said:

There's quite a high threshold before you start paying tax here, around £12k. But taxes can be quite steep for a middle income single earner.

Tax rate is 21% from 12 to approx 38k, then 40% above that. On top of that there is National insurance, which is another 12% on the first 33k and 2% after that. Plus employer pays another 12% national insurance.

I would say personal taxes are pretty high, the problem we have here is not enough people are in the middle/high brackets to give a decent tax take so indirect taxes like VAT and fuel duty are also quite high.

Definitely. My example was two 25k GBP earners

Taxation for my wife was brutal 31% but again I loved it there. Cant wait to retire in Europe. I hope UK is back with the EU by then. 

Edited by cdsacken

Holiday travel up in the US from last year.

Which means another huge spike in January.

God, maybe Mankind is just too stupid to deserve to survive.

• Sad 3

53 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Holiday travel up in the US from last year.

Which means another huge spike in January.

God, maybe Mankind is just too stupid to deserve to survive.

Holiday travel is down 40%. Much better than Thanksgiving, still gonna see a spike

• Like 2

Tested negative 2nd time for Covid. Got sick but at least it's not covid!

• Like 4

39% of COVID cases over the past month in hotel quarantine in Sydney come from the USA. 

The Northern Beaches outbreak also comes from the US. 

Also, Australia has sequenced the genome for almost 60% of all covid cases. 

• Like 1

Sadly, anti vaccine Conspriacy BS is spreading faster then the COvid.

Most bizarre thing is that many Trump supporters are pushing the Antivax theories while Trump is climing credit for the vaccine...but then, on one has accused the Die Hard Trump supporters of being the brightest bulbs in the room.