google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

I just got my refund from England for the year ending April 5th 2020. 

Lmao took 2 months to get a check in America. Now I have to figure out how to deposit it. I have a platinum checking account that supposedly accepts foreign checks......./crosses fingers

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

Now at least no more misinformation about Covid coming from a certain twitter account.

:sparta:

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, JJ-8 said:

Apparently the desire here is to stop the spread before it can start. We had 1 case of the more virulent uk strain walking around for 5 days. 

yeah where I live is on a 3 day lock down. The streets are virtually deserted here this morning. 

5 days?.

You are fooked.

Actually, I've taken to wearing my mask outdoors.

Not because of Covid, it's freezing cold here and it keeps my face warm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Poseidon said:

She fell sick after only one dose though. 

Either way, 90% or 95%, 1 out of 10 or one out of 20 will still get sick. 

Yeah the real question is, did she still need hospital assistance?

2 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Yeah the real question is, did she still need hospital assistance?

The other question is, would the AZN vaccine have protected her?

Which leads to another question, would one shot of Pfizer followed by one shot of AZN protect more people than just the one flavour of each?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, AndyK said:

1,325 dead today, the 3rd day of 1000+ deaths.

UK is in a bad way, lockdown is about to get harsher.

Yeah it's getting to the point where my facebook feed is getting more and more people claiming to be in hospital. I have 2 friends at the age of 30 in ICU right now. England is having a rough time. 1400 deaths in 1 day is like 7000 deaths in the US with population taken into account

Edited by Chicago
  • Sad 4

14 hours ago, AndyK said:

For a second I thought this is a new deal, but I realised that the "September" isn't referring to September 2021 but rather to the deal in September 2020. But in September it was said, that those doses could only be delivered after BioNTech/Pfizer fulfilled it's EU deal. And I was surprised that no one said anything about it last year.

18 hours ago, fmpro said:

In Denmark were i live the goverment just annouced that all citizens that want the vaccines can be done with the 2nd shot by June 27th if everthing goes right..

1,5-2% of the population are expected to be vaccinated every day in early summer where vaccine deliverys are at its highest

That sounds very early. I think Germany is something like hopefully October (or later or never (considering we have one of the highest shares of anti-vax people but not as high as france at least). Though with the way some states (Lower Saxony etc.) are currently doing it, I don't think we will be at that point in the fall.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyK said:

5 days?.

You are fooked.

Actually, I've taken to wearing my mask outdoors.

Not because of Covid, it's freezing cold here and it keeps my face warm.

Apparrently the tracing is going well so far with 70 contacts traced from her. and all of those have tested negative to date and are now in a 14 day quaratine.  so far looking good for us to get out of lockdown on monday night.  

never seen the streets so quiet though...

• Sad 1

I just got a SPAM email still shilling for hydroxychloroquine ; I guess they particullar snake oil will never leave us.

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

In 4 weeks, my towns infection rate has gone from 8/100K to over 2000/100K.

That's how infectious this UK variant is.

Over 80K UK deaths now, will probably reach 100K deaths in a couple weeks.

Edited by AndyK
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 5

8 hours ago, AndyK said:

In 4 weeks, my towns infection rate has gone from 8/100K to over 2000/100K.

That's how infectious this UK variant is.

Over 80K UK deaths now, will probably reach 100K deaths in a couple weeks.

Damn that's like 500k in USA but then US will soar past 400k before February. 

6 hours ago, AndyK said:

Modelling confirms the UKs real vs measured IR is pretty similar to the USA = 5 X number of confirmed cases.

That puts the UK at 22% although in some areas 50% of the population have had the virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2021/jan/10/one-in-five-have-had-coronavirus-in-england-new-modelling-says

This is why the ones who clamor for herd immunity are so off their rocker.

22% would mean you are only at about 1/4 to 1/3 of where you need to be. So 2-3X more the hospitalizations and deaths still to come. No health system in the world can handle those types of numbers, they would all crash.

It's awful again here were I live. Don't remember if I mentioned this but my best friends dad is in ICU. He needs dialysis as part of the treatment (it has been attacking his kidneys) but so many techs have been out sick with COVID that he has only been able to get that twice since he went into the hospital.

Nobody is really talking about it much yet, but there is already significant rationing of care going on because there simply are not enough personnel to do everything. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Its amazing how a country like Japan can keep deaths down so low without the need for mass restrictions like many western countries. I think we've learned that blaming governments for the handling of the virus has been our biggest mistake, the real reason many countries have so many cases is strictly down to the people being careless. I find people from the US and UK have been watching too many movies and now everything must be a conspiracy to make real life seem more interesting. It would be interesting to see how the virus would have been handled if most of us were like the good people of japan 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

Its amazing how a country like Japan can keep deaths down so low without the need for mass restrictions like many western countries. I think we've learned that blaming governments for the handling of the virus has been our biggest mistake, the real reason many countries have so many cases is strictly down to the people being careless. I find people from the US and UK have been watching too many movies and now everything must be a conspiracy to make real life seem more interesting. It would be interesting to see how the virus would have been handled if most of us were like the good people of japan 

I think social distancing and hygene is baked into the Japanese psyche. They wear masks, they don't shake hands (they bow), they wear gloves when handling food etc 

Beyond that, no country in Asia had really suffered with this virus like the west. There must be something else that's going on.

3 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I think social distancing and hygene is baked into the Japanese psyche. They wear masks, they don't shake hands (they bow), they wear gloves when handling food etc 

Beyond that, no country in Asia had really suffered with this virus like the west. There must be something else that's going on.

Yeah they listen to the advice given to them. We don't listen to the government then when shit hits the fan we blame the government 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

Yeah they listen to the advice given to them. We don't listen to the government then when shit hits the fan we blame the government 

And America had its worst when you dont even have a proper government to listen to.

• Like 1