google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

The vaccine reserve that was supposed to start rolling out next week literally doesn't exist.

So basically whatever reopening plans you had, kick them back about 3 months for sheer incompetence. Every person who was involved with this train wreck needs to go to prison.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Avatree said:

I grew up understanding that as an adult in my country (UK) I am treated as an autonomous person. I get to make my own choices about what happens to my body

Not really, only as long as no eg plague is breaking out and other reasons why others can have a right to decide for you

Its the same with eg tolerance, freedom of speech..,. works not for people who are extremists.... If someone subscribing to massive intolerance, or reducing the rights of others gets the freedom of speech in a too big way, gets allowed it without setting limits, the freedom of speech will get lost the moment those kind of people brainwash too many people or take the power with force.

In a normal situation, for a person who uses the freedom, ethics,... goals of a tolerant society as a guide for his / her behaviour you get that ideal you think as counting always, the moment that behaviour damages others, even risks the lives (or long term health) of others, and a person is being too insisting on ideas like you presented, others have the right to intervene.

See the freedom of speech: as long as the speech does no harm to others, the moment in a medical crisis your refusal or behavior risks or damages others, you are the one who ignored the other part of the rule.

Btw, in my POV a lot of the hate mongers, religious fanatics and others miss that part in a big way, and societies should have reacted way earlier. Becuase that is not freedom, its the misuse of freedom rules for its own personal power gain, laziness, arrogance or whatnot

48 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The vaccine reserve that was supposed to start rolling out next week literally doesn't exist.

So basically whatever reopening plans you had, kick them back about 3 months for sheer incompetence. Every person who was involved with this train wreck needs to go to prison.

It's not going to kick back reopening by 3 months. Biden in office in a few days and will accelerate the time time table greatly. We have 2 more vaccines incoming. This does suck though, I was hoping to get the vaccine next month. Almost no chance now

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

It's not going to kick back reopening by 3 months. Biden in office in a few days and will accelerate the time time table greatly. We have 2 more vaccines incoming. This does suck though, I was hoping to get the vaccine next month. Almost no chance now

I still think people are underestimating the huge logistical effort this is. We will get there, it won't be as fast as we hope, but hopefully won't be as long as some fear.

The US hasn't tried to roll out something of this size in generations. i hope we can hit the 100M in 100 days, though i'm somewhat skeptical until I see otherwise. Just changing administrations doesn't mean the government is all of a sudden going to become super efficient. Being somewhat competent would help.

My bigger fear right now is will the new variant overtake the US at a faster rate than the US can vaccinate its population. If that occurs then improving the rate at which we administer vaccines is still a good thing, but would still lead to high numbers for an elevated amount of time as the rate of spread of the new variant outpaces the rate of vaccine administration.

New, more contagious coronavirus variants mean US must double down on mitigation, vaccination, CDC says

From CNN’s Maggie Fox

The threat of new, more contagious variants of the coronavirus means the US must double down on efforts to protect people until a large number can be vaccinated, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday. 

A variant first identified in Britain known as B.1.1.7 is being found in the US as well, and modeling indicates it could worsen the already terrible spread of the virus across the country, the CDC researchers said.

“Multiple lines of evidence indicate that B.1.1.7 is more efficiently transmitted than are other SARS-CoV-2 variants,” the CDC team wrote in the agency’s weekly report, the MMWR.

“Variant B.1.1.7 has the potential to increase the U.S. pandemic trajectory in the coming months.”

That means people need to do more to make sure everyone uses masks, tries harder to maintain social distancing and takes other measures known to reduce the risk of transmission. “Higher vaccination coverage might need to be achieved to protect the public,” the researchers added. 

Plus, the CDC needs to do more to keep an eye out for new variants, and for the appearance of this one. 

“CDC has also contracted with several large commercial clinical laboratories to rapidly sequence tens of thousands of SARS-CoV-2– positive specimens each month and has funded seven academic institutions to conduct genomic surveillance in partnership with public health agencies, thereby adding substantially to the availability of timely genomic surveillance data from across the United States,” the team wrote.

“In addition to these national initiatives, many state and local public health agencies are sequencing SARS-CoV-2 to better understand local epidemiology and support public health response to the pandemic.” 

It's not clear just how much more contagious any of the new variants are, the CDC noted. One variant first identified in South Africa and another one found in Japan among travelers from Brazil have yet to show up in US surveillance, the team said.

B.1.1.7 has been found in at least 50 countries and in a dozen US states.

• Like 3

God, can we stop the stoupid hipster Anarchism we are seeing here?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chicago said:

I think we have an anti vaxer in disguise. First you complain about the banks and now this. We had vaccinations as kids without second thoughts. From a health and safety point of view, id be happy if my employer forced these rules as i would feel safer. Those who refuse should be refused treatment should they become ill. Too many lazy people happy to receive those furlong payments 

These same people would have turned down penicillin back in the day 

I 100% agree.

it's Antivaxer combined with "Cool and Hip" Anarchism.

The poster also rants against masks mandates, and has stated masks don't work

He or She makes the statement they have a "right to do what they want to with their bodies". Problem is with a virus you are endanering other  people by your ignorance.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

I still think people are underestimating the huge logistical effort this is. We will get there, it won't be as fast as we hope, but hopefully won't be as long as some fear.

The US hasn't tried to roll out something of this size in generations. i hope we can hit the 100M in 100 days, though i'm somewhat skeptical until I see otherwise. Just changing administrations doesn't mean the government is all of a sudden going to become super efficient. Being somewhat competent would help.

My bigger fear right now is will the new variant overtake the US at a faster rate than the US can vaccinate its population. If that occurs then improving the rate at which we administer vaccines is still a good thing, but would still lead to high numbers for an elevated amount of time as the rate of spread of the new variant outpaces the rate of vaccine administration.

New, more contagious coronavirus variants mean US must double down on mitigation, vaccination, CDC says

From CNN’s Maggie Fox

The threat of new, more contagious variants of the coronavirus means the US must double down on efforts to protect people until a large number can be vaccinated, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday. 

A variant first identified in Britain known as B.1.1.7 is being found in the US as well, and modeling indicates it could worsen the already terrible spread of the virus across the country, the CDC researchers said.

“Multiple lines of evidence indicate that B.1.1.7 is more efficiently transmitted than are other SARS-CoV-2 variants,” the CDC team wrote in the agency’s weekly report, the MMWR.

“Variant B.1.1.7 has the potential to increase the U.S. pandemic trajectory in the coming months.”

That means people need to do more to make sure everyone uses masks, tries harder to maintain social distancing and takes other measures known to reduce the risk of transmission. “Higher vaccination coverage might need to be achieved to protect the public,” the researchers added. 

Plus, the CDC needs to do more to keep an eye out for new variants, and for the appearance of this one. 

“CDC has also contracted with several large commercial clinical laboratories to rapidly sequence tens of thousands of SARS-CoV-2– positive specimens each month and has funded seven academic institutions to conduct genomic surveillance in partnership with public health agencies, thereby adding substantially to the availability of timely genomic surveillance data from across the United States,” the team wrote.

“In addition to these national initiatives, many state and local public health agencies are sequencing SARS-CoV-2 to better understand local epidemiology and support public health response to the pandemic.” 

It's not clear just how much more contagious any of the new variants are, the CDC noted. One variant first identified in South Africa and another one found in Japan among travelers from Brazil have yet to show up in US surveillance, the team said.

B.1.1.7 has been found in at least 50 countries and in a dozen US states.

Agreed - that's why I referenced the VA Gov being the best guide of what's possible - if you're not a doc AND a government employee, you don't get how both sides have to work this all the way through the logistics chains to the arms and what that entails...we'll get the logistics down and the seasonality of the disease (while not as strong as flu, is still there) will help, and we'll probably progress on his timeline of "max possible" doses...and that will still be absolutely amazing...

• Like 2

Here's the Wash Post's article on the vaccine doses for those that can read it. IMO there is alot of wishcasting going on (and who can blame anyone for that), that all the of supply chain issues are going to resolve quickly, that all the logistical issues at both the Federal and State levels are going to resolve quickly. When in reality that is fairly unlikely.

Basically what happened is the Trump administration changed its approach at the end of December and started sending out all doses instead of holding 2nd doses in reserve, but didn't really communicate that to anyone. The official explanation is that they felt confident in the supply chain so they didn't need to hold any back for 2nd doses. That could very well be true, it could also be they just wanted to show more doses being distributed to states so they took the backup supplies and shipped them without telling anyone it was the backup supplies. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/15/trump-vaccine-reserve-used-up/

When Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced this week that the federal government would begin releasing coronavirus vaccine doses held in reserve for second shots, no such reserve existed, according to state and federal officials briefed on distribution plans. The Trump administration had already begun shipping out what was available beginning at the end of December, taking second doses directly off the manufacturing line.

Now, health officials across the country who had anticipated their extremely limited vaccine supply as much as doubling beginning next week are confronting the reality that their allocations will remain largely flat, dashing hopes of dramatically expanding access for millions of elderly people and those with high-risk medical conditions.

The shift, in both cases, had to do with increased confidence in the supply chain, so that Operation Warp Speed leaders felt they could reliably anticipate the availability of doses for booster shots

But it also meant there was no stockpile of second doses waiting to be shipped

Those in line for their second shots are expected to get them on schedule since states are still getting regular vaccine shipments. But state and local officials say they are angry and bewildered by the shifting directions and changing explanations of supply.

The health director in Oregon, Patrick M. Allen, was so disturbed that he wrote Azar on Thursday demanding an explanation.

“If true, this is extremely disturbing, and puts our plans to expand eligibility at grave risk,” Allen added. “Those plans were made on the basis of reliance on your statement about “releasing the entire supply” you have in reserve. If this information is accurate, we will be unable to begin vaccinating our vulnerable seniors on Jan. 23, as planned.”

But the issue of supply was most troubling to state health officials.

“States were shocked and surprised that they did not see an increase in their allocations, and when they asked for explanations, some of them were told there was not a large stockpile of second doses to draw from,” said an official working with numerous states on vaccination planning who spoke on the condition of anonymity to recount sensitive conversations. “They thought they were getting more doses and they planned for more doses and opened up to 65 and up, thinking they were getting more.”

Edited by RamblinRed
  • Sad 1

They had the option to buy 100m more doses last year and didn't. It's all on trump

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

They had the option to buy 100m more doses last year and didn't. It's all on trump

Look up what the EU did and the US suddenly seems to be doing quite good.

• Like 1

Trump lied about the number of vaccine doses available, Just plain old lied to make himself look good.

More Americans will die becuase of his lying.

• Sad 1

Pfizer are reducing vaccine supplies to Europe.

Think they are upgrading their facilities to allow enhanced production in the near future.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/15/pfizer-to-temporarily-reduce-covid-vaccine-deliveries-to-europe.html

Also..

UK variant now accounts for 90% of all cases in the UK.

Edited by AndyK

Manaus in Brazil, the epicenter for the first wave back in march is now in the grip of a huge second wave.

Most worrying about this is that 70% of the population were infected in the first wave, a second wave this big shouldn't be possible.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/15/brazil-premature-babies-manaus-coronavirus-covid-19

The biggest vaccination campaign in history has begun. More than 37.9 million doses in 50 countries have been administered, according to data collected by Bloomberg. The latest rate was roughly 2.41 million doses a day, on average. (WORLDWIDE) 

Vaccinations in the U.S. began Dec. 14 with health-care workers, and so far 13 million shots have been given, according to a state-by-state tally by Bloomberg and data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In the last week, an average of 844,387 doses per day were administered. (United States)

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

• Like 2

Should hit a 1M 7-day average right around inauguration. All that’s required for Biden’s 100M in 100 days pledge is to not actively backslide.    

In a period with multiple new vaccines being approved.

• Like 1

US Health and Human Services Sectrary resigned today. He will not be missed.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

US Health and Human Services Sectrary resigned today. He will not be missed.

FAKE NEWS

Hosp/ICU/%+/cases/tests all heading the right direction recently. I think last week was the peak, but not sustained enough yet to be sure.   

This is mostly before we see any effect of vaccines too.

• Like 1

One of the great things NSW Health does is every week they release an extremely detailed epidemiological report. It’s a fascinating look at testing and contact tracing. With detailed reports about individual clusters. Here is the latest. 

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Documents/covid-19-surveillance-report-20210109.pdf

Historic reports. 

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Pages/weekly-reports.aspx

• Like 1