google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

It has happened, brothers and sisters. 

I have been chosen! Soon I will become clean and pure. Purified by the goddess Moderna. 

Look upon me and know me. 

Sad Cry GIF by Team Coco

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1,610 covid deaths in UK today, that the highest daily toll so far and brings the total deaths to 91,470.

One bright side is that the daily cases are now 33,355 which is still huge buts its down 50% from a couple weeks ago so it looks like Lockdown V3 is working. Won't show in reduced deaths for maybe another week or so.

I think worldometer should add a new column with # of vaccine doses administered, currently at 4.27 million here.

• Like 3

You may be surprised to learn that of the trio of long-awaited coronavirus vaccines, the most promising, Moderna’s mRNA-1273, which reported a 94.5 percent efficacy rate on November 16, had been designed by January 13. This was just two days after the genetic sequence had been made public in an act of scientific and humanitarian generosity that resulted in China’s Yong-Zhen Zhang’s being temporarily forced out of his lab. In Massachusetts, the Moderna vaccine design took all of one weekend. It was completed before China had even acknowledged that the disease could be transmitted from human to human, more than a week before the first confirmed coronavirus case in the United States. By the time the first American death was announced a month later, the vaccine had already been manufactured and shipped to the National Institutes of Health for the beginning of its Phase I clinical trial. This is — as the country and the world are rightly celebrating — the fastest timeline of development in the history of vaccines. It also means that for the entire span of the pandemic in this country, which has already killed more than 250,000 Americans, we had the tools we needed to prevent it .

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/12/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-design.html

• Like 1

At last we got a president who levelled with the people about the Covid VIrus, and  how the next couple of months will be the worst yet.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 10:19 AM, AndyK said:

1,610 covid deaths in UK today, that the highest daily toll so far and brings the total deaths to 91,470.

One bright side is that the daily cases are now 33,355 which is still huge buts its down 50% from a couple weeks ago so it looks like Lockdown V3 is working. Won't show in reduced deaths for maybe another week or so.

I think worldometer should add a new column with # of vaccine doses administered, currently at 4.27 million here.

It’s just shocking. That’s almost double the total deaths in Australia in just one day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

It’s just shocking. That’s almost double the total deaths in Australia in just one day. 

Yeah it seems people don't care anymore. No changes in lifestyles from what i can see, more people taking walks than ever, busy roads, parties and government blaming. When we first hit 1000 deaths people were shocked, now we hit 1800 and people are all 'meh'. I've stuck to the rules from day one and we are still in this shit worse than ever so its getting to the point where I don't care either now, we reap what we sow.

Maybe i should just start drinking Fosters 

Edited by Chicago
  • Sad 1

Shouldn't be surprised by this but it is truly sad and once again just shows the complete dereliction of duty.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/politics/biden-covid-vaccination-trump/index.html

Newly sworn in President Joe Biden and his advisers are inheriting no coronavirus vaccine distribution plan to speak of from the Trump administration, sources tell CNN, posing a significant challenge for the new White House.

But in the immediate hours following Biden being sworn into office on Wednesday, sources with direct knowledge of the new administration's Covid-related work told CNN one of the biggest shocks that the Biden team had to digest during the transition period was what they saw as a complete lack of a vaccine distribution strategy under former President Donald Trump, even weeks after multiple vaccines were approved for use in the United States.

"There is nothing for us to rework. We are going to have to build everything from scratch," one source said.

Another source described the moment that it became clear the Biden administration would have to essentially start from "square one" because there simply was no plan as: "Wow, just further affirmation of complete incompetence."

• Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

You know the world is going to the dogs when even the BBC starts shitposting...

"No eveidence virus levels decreasing"

...and then includes a graph showing prevalence plunging.

_116597368_uk_daily_cases_with_ra_20jan-

• Haha 1

When you wish you'd kept your mouth shut...

EU - There are extra doses in the Pfizer vials - issues edict to use them

Pfizer - fair enough, we'll reduce the number of vials we send you and still be in contract.

20 minutes ago, AndyK said:

This doesn't surprise me if true. We have to keep in mind that these vaccines were rushed out much more quickly than any previous vaccine and the amount of time spent testing and collecting data is far less than any previous vaccine. Given smaller test numbers and shorter testing windows there is likely to be a greater variation in effectiveness as they are used in mass populations vs small studies. These early results included just a couple months data, so the efficacy of 90%+ is only known for 2 months, whethrer it really remains that over a longer time period or as they are instituted on large numbers of people is not really a known quantity yet.

Brazil announced in the last week or two that the Chinese vaccine has been much less effective than early trials suggested, with an efficacy rate of just over 50%.

Also, just wanted to add on a personal note that my best friend's father passed away last night with complications from COVID. He went into ICU on Christmas Day and never recovered. Have known for a couple of weeks that this was the likely outcome but it still sucks.

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

You know the world is going to the dogs when even the BBC starts shitposting...

"No eveidence virus levels decreasing"

...and then includes a graph showing prevalence plunging.

_116597368_uk_daily_cases_with_ra_20jan-

27 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Has it already been 3 weeks?

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Pfizer - fair enough, we'll reduce the number of vials we send you and still be in contract.

Has it already been 3 weeks?

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

Not surprised. Trump was not only evil, but stupid and incompetent.

Worst President in American History. I held out for James Buchanan, but Trump easily wins.

• Like 3

New South African variant may not be covered by vaccines. I want to stress these are not definitive, but more research will need to be done.

New coronavirus variant could be problematic for vaccines, a second study in two days suggests

From CNN's Senior Medical Correspondent Elizabeth Cohen

As researchers around the world race to see if new coronavirus variants will pose a problem for the vaccines, a second study in two days says a variant from South Africa could possibly do just that.

The variant was first spotted in South Africa in October and has now been found in more than a dozen countries.

In both studies, the work was done in the lab and not in people, so more research is needed to gauge the true threat of the new variant.

In the most recent study, which was small, researchers took antibodies from six people who had been hospitalized with Covid-19 before the new variant was discovered. They found, to varying degrees, that antibodies for all six of the survivors were unable to fully fight off the virus.

It's unclear whether this means someone would be vulnerable to the new variant if they'd already had Covid-19, or what this might mean for people who've been vaccinated.

The findings of this study were very similar to those of a study released Tuesday by the National Institute for Communicable Diseases in South Africa.

"When you see two groups independently arriving at same basic answer, that's good -- there's more consonance that they are correct," said Jesse Bloom, a virologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

A third study also released Tuesday was more optimistic. It showed that mutations in the new variant allowed them to evade some of the immunity induced by vaccination, but it was far from a complete escape.

That study looked at three mutations in the variant. The South African studies looked at eight.

None of the studies was peer reviewed or published in medical journals.

The most recent study was posted on the website for KRISP, the Kwazulu-Natal Research Innovation and Sequencing Platform.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

Our goverment here is FURIOUS with Pfizer for doing this stunt. They will pay for this in years to come. Eu will punish them the first chance they get and will try to take their buisness elsewhere. But for now their hands are tied

• Like 1

FWIW, here are the latest US vaccination numbers from the Washington Post

14.3 million vaccinatedThe number of people who have received the first dose of the vaccines,
covering 12.5% of the prioritized population
and 4.3% of the total population.

This includes more than 2.2 million people who have been fully vaccinated.
36 million doses have been distributed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

This doesn't surprise me if true. We have to keep in mind that these vaccines were rushed out much more quickly than any previous vaccine and the amount of time spent testing and collecting data is far less than any previous vaccine. Given smaller test numbers and shorter testing windows there is likely to be a greater variation in effectiveness as they are used in mass populations vs small studies. These early results included just a couple months data, so the efficacy of 90%+ is only known for 2 months, whethrer it really remains that over a longer time period or as they are instituted on large numbers of people is not really a known quantity yet.

Brazil announced in the last week or two that the Chinese vaccine has been much less effective than early trials suggested, with an efficacy rate of just over 50%.

Also, just wanted to add on a personal note that my best friend's father passed away last night with complications from COVID. He went into ICU on Christmas Day and never recovered. Have known for a couple of weeks that this was the likely outcome but it still sucks.

I’m so sorry. Condolences to you and your best friend and their family. 

20 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’m so sorry. Condolences to you and your best friend and their family. 

Ditto.

Just to add, recently I have had 2 indirect relatives die from Covid. The first is a brother in law's wife's father, who went into hospital after a fall with a broken hip, contracted Covid in hospital and died. The second is a sisters husband's mother where virtually the same thing happened.

Hospitals are the last place you want to be for anything other than Covid right now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1