google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

First 300k doses of AZ arrived in Australia yesterday. Local CSL production of the AZ vaccine starts to get distributed towards the end of March. 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 1:22 PM, terrestrial said:

To assume zero bias based on one number seems atypical optimistic, you surprised me with that. A lot.

What ? Why would you say that, maybe the article behind the paywall did show the bias clearly, I am just saying that raw numbers like that does not seem to necessarily point for one, that not assuming either way.à

On 2/27/2021 at 1:22 PM, terrestrial said:

Beside that, its not only elderly that are in group one, especially as I think the non whites are trice as much in danger to end in hospital

Those statistic are often age adjusted, non hispanic white are 61.35% of the estimated Covid deaths in the USA according to:

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Deaths-involving-coronavirus-disease-2019-COVID-19/ks3g-spdg

Which is more than their estimated share of the American population around 60.7%

You can design more complicated and better assignment of risk than raw age (and those would be more racially diverse) but you gain in complexity and lost dose in exchange.

If I was going to assume, I would assume that not all the discrepancy would be explaining by both elderly share of the population and population attitude (https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2020/12/03/intent-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-rises-to-60-as-confidence-in-research-and-development-process-increases/, https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021/01/is-mistrust-within-the-black-community-keeping-its-covid-vaccination-rates-low-in-nj.html):

PS_2020.12.03_covid19-vaccine-intent_00-

But that most of it would.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Tomorrow should be the last time the change in 7-day avg is still affected by winter storm stuff. I would like to see strong improvements again in cases/deaths starting Mar 2.      

percent positive continues to trend down, raw hospitalizations see a 2nd large decline in a row.   

• Like 1

Stupid Washington state is only getting 61k j&j vaccines right away. Proportional amount should have been 93k. Wth? 😩

Germany is bucking the world trend and showing an increase in cases despite lockdown.

They also seem to be quite bad at administering vaccines, they have significantly larger supplies than they are getting into people's arms.

4 hours ago, AndyK said:

Germany is bucking the world trend and showing an increase in cases despite lockdown.

They also seem to be quite bad at administering vaccines, they have significantly larger supplies than they are getting into people's arms.

Its a complete shitshow here. Honestly, im baffled. Or i shoud say, im not THAT baffled, since ive experienced the shortcomings of our federal system and the incompetence of our political leaders for some time now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its a complete shitshow here. Honestly, im baffled. Or i shoud say, im not THAT baffled, since ive experienced the shortcomings of our federal system and the incompetence of our political leaders for some time now.

and yet that same federal system was really effective at running test and trace.

Its baffling why it should be less good at vaccine administration.

42 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I'm hearing on the radio right now that Germany and Austria will be back tracking on their decision to not give the Oxford Vaccine to over 65's. France however are still refusing to give over 65's the AZ vaccine even if they request it. 

Politics seems to be getting in the way of saving lives across the pond.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I'm hearing on the radio right now that Germany and Austria will be back tracking on their decision to not give the Oxford Vaccine to over 65's. France however are still refusing to give over 65's the AZ vaccine even if they request it. 

Politics seems to be getting in the way of saving lives across the pond.

They are also discussing extending the time between doses.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-vaccines-will-germany-follow-the-uks-example/a-56722478

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Chicago said:

Maybe the UK should just run the EU?

The death count says probably not.

Israel leading the vaccination charge also has the highest Covid levels...weird.

EvZ0KTpXEAck1vr?format=jpg&name=large

...and this is interesting,

Reanalysis of the Pfizer mRNA BNT162b2 SARS-CoV-2 vaccine data fails to find any increased efficacy following the boost: Implications for vaccination policy and our understanding of the mode of action.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.23.21252315v1

Edited by AndyK

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

The death count says probably not.

Israel leading the vaccination charge also has the highest Covid levels...weird.

EvZ0KTpXEAck1vr?format=jpg&name=large

...and this is interesting,

Reanalysis of the Pfizer mRNA BNT162b2 SARS-CoV-2 vaccine data fails to find any increased efficacy following the boost: Implications for vaccination policy and our understanding of the mode of action.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.23.21252315v1

I wasn't being serious. We've done enough ruling over the centuries.

Posted (edited)

The effect of vaccines are showing up in the data

EvaWOpiXMAIOChO?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

% and hosp good, case and death 7-day change still hard to interpret. Starting tomorrow the change in 7-day avgs will be pretty much flushed of storm effects, would really like to see good trend resume (and I assume it will based on the remaining good % positive).

Edited by WandaLegion

11 hours ago, Chicago said:

Maybe the UK should just run the EU?

The UK took risks they only had to take, because the government fucked up for 2 different waves. No, thanks, we have problems in Germany, big ones, but Boris  and the UK approach can stay where he is right now. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Poseidon said:

The UK took risks they only had to take, because the government fucked up for 2 different waves. No, thanks, we have problems in Germany, big ones, but Boris  and the UK approach can stay where he is right now. 

I'm bored of seeing people say we took risks. We didn't, we used scientific advice which was frowned upon by the world yet is now looking like the best option. Intelligent decisions can look risky to less intelligent minds. Ironic thing is your government will end up copying us.  

Boris Johnson has his issues but atleast he didn't talk down a life saving vaccine leading to an entire continent to refuse to take it. Spreading misinformation is incredibly damaging when your own government do it

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 1