google-site-verification=EzRt-ZmNlc4J5RNLXiuJpAEGjNviG678nNB1w49cgZg Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Recommended Posts

On 3/1/2021 at 8:31 AM, AndyK said:

Germany is bucking the world trend and showing an increase in cases despite lockdown.

 

They also seem to be quite bad at administering vaccines, they have significantly larger supplies than they are getting into people's arms.

We might have done good last March, but since then we kinda have fallen behind in pretty much everything (testing etc.) and lockdown doesn’t mean people are following it.

(and we have Federal election in September - no idea for whom I should vote, they all suck) 

 

And well - as noble as it might have been the whole EU ordering together, so 27 states all wanting a say, that was doomed to at least be somewhat slow and now most EU countries are doing rather bad and while that side got fucked last year, the actual vaccination plan took forever and most states have done little to expand their capacity. And the overreaction to the „lower“ share of people older than 65 in the Oxford/AZ trials added to it and then messaging, our politicians are probably worse than democrats in the USA prior to an election, so OX/AZ was primarily for people below the age of 65 which lead to further doubt, despite early results from the UK already indicating that the difference between below 65 and above are pretty much like expected (all / almost all vaccines do somewhat worse in older people), that didn‘t change until yesterday or so, let’s hope that means that vaccination rates will catch up.


 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Thousands of people demonstrated in cities across Argentina on Saturday to protest the "VIP vaccinations" scandal that forced the health minister to resign.

Gines Gonzalez Garcia quit a week ago at the president's request after it emerged that his friends had been able to skip the line for coronavirus inoculation.

Protesters carrying signs reading "Give me my vaccine" and "Stop wasting our money" gathered outside the government headquarters in Plaza de Mayo in Buenos Aires.

 

"They started by vaccinating friends of the government. It is not appropriate. They are stealing someone else's life," protester Irene Marcet told AFP.

Since Argentina began vaccinating its people, only healthcare workers had received the jab until Wednesday, when over-70s in Buenos Aires province were also invited to be immunized.

On Monday, the government released a list of 70 people who received the vaccine outside of the official campaign, which included the 38-year-old economy minister and former president Eduardo Duhalde, his wife and their children.

On the railings in front of the Casa Rosada, the seat of the government and the president's office, protesters hung mock black body bags with the names of pro-government leaders vaccinated.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210228-thousands-protest-over-argentina-vip-vaccinations-scandal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2021 at 12:13 PM, Brainbug said:

 

Its a complete shitshow here. Honestly, im baffled. Or i shoud say, im not THAT baffled, since ive experienced the shortcomings of our federal system and the incompetence of our political leaders for some time now.

Do you think people may have just gotten complacent after having such a good reaction to the first wave compared to other western countries?

Edited by Chicago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

UK vaccine supplies expected to double this month, vaccination program should be complete by mid July if all goes to plan.

 

Evat4glXMAEcHpP?format=png&name=small

 

and then there is this....

 

Quote

Covid vaccines may stop spread ‘almost completely’ with jabs working ‘better than any of us could have imagined’

Fresh boost for Britain as vaccines appear to block virus transmission

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-results-public-health-england-b921793.html

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago said:

Do you think people may have just gotten complacent after having such a good reaction to the first wave compared to other western countries?

Amon others yes and while politicians in other countries like the the UK and even Trump started to get active ours started to slow down (initially there was the idea to buy vaccines in a small group but then the EU idea came up so everyone was like “the Eu does it, if not today, maybe tomorrow or next year”).

And I think a significant amount don’t want lockdowns and don’t think they are necessary and closing down shops etc too (in December) led to growing amount of people that don’t really care anymore.

 

And talks about opening up are kinda prevalent by now, especially among areas that have been below 50/35 for some time now.

 

And I don’t think they know who actually is responsible for everything xD. (Federal Goverment or the states, because theoretically it’s the states but that is sometimes a little impractical)

 

On a side note, apparently the lower saxonian Health minister stepped down because of her health, well not like we are the worst in vaccination in Germany.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biden says vaccine will be widely available to everyone by end of May, 2 months ahead of schedule 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Biden says vaccine will be widely available to everyone by end of May, 2 months ahead of schedule 

Send some extras to us in Canada please.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Madness.

Really wish this clown wasn't my governor. We didn't even have long to go until we could open up but he just has to rush. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Biden says vaccine will be widely available to everyone by end of May, 2 months ahead of schedule 

Not quite. He says there will be enough for every American by end of May. And you can expect that schedule to come up further, the Biden strategy here has been a very consistent under promise.    
 

Widely available to general population comes much sooner. Late March-ish. Most people who are super desperate for a vaccine will have had their final shot before May 7.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

First day stormless data. Looks great (although to a minor extent you could argue that last week was artificially bad with catchup reporting, making this week’s daily changes look artificially good...).  
 

 

Case avg down 3.2% (with generation of 5 days, corresponds to R .85) and hosp avg down 2.5% (raw hosp barely dropped today after two huge drops recently, probably some day-of-week effect). % positive still around 4%, continues to decrease 7-day.    
 

I’m not saying that premature reopenings and variants can’t cause any problems, but it seems we’re still on basically the same nice trajectory that we started seeing in mid-Jan. 

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Chicago said:

 

I'm bored of seeing people say we took risks. We didn't, we used scientific advice which was frowned upon by the world yet is now looking like the best option. Intelligent decisions can look risky to less intelligent minds. Ironic thing is your government will end up copying us.  

 

Boris Johnson has his issues but atleast he didn't talk down a life saving vaccine leading to an entire continent to refuse to take it. Spreading misinformation is incredibly damaging when your own government do it

 

 

 

When Germany decided to not allow AZ for over 65, data was as follows: 

Studys showed immune response in adults over 65, but it was a lack of participants and people who later caught the virus that lead to the decicion, that data was not sufficient.

 

What you can do is critizise the government to sticking with the usual procedure during a pandemic ( and we all know that the usual procedure was not REALLY the usual procedure, as everything went way faster than it normally would)

 

And yes, we will copy your effort, because your government threw you right in there and the rest of the world now has a chance to have a life sized safety study, just like the world got to see what happens, when the government shut down the country way too late in march 2020. What a difference a week made...

 

Another lesson the world learned was, that you can't open up the country in the middle of winter, 3 weeks before christmas, with a base incidence in the 100s. So again, there was a risk, your government wanted to give your economy a chance and the result was a faster spreading mutation that got a super boost by that decision and is now keeping the world in alarm. Again and even more.

 

Boris Johnson is a gambler and again, he was in a position where he didn't even have another chance but to go all in with vaccinations. So far it seems it worked. Others will follow, maybe 1 or 2 months later, but the UK already paid a very high price for many bad decisions and btw. many of those decisions were taken against scientific advise. 

 

England and Wales, to this point, lost 107.000 aditional lifes to the pandemic compared to a "normal year" (starting March 2020) 

Upscaled to Germanys population, that's 150k.

Germany so far stands at 70k. 

 

No, I can't see the future. I don't know how and if a third wave hits Germany and hell, a lot of mistakes have been made over here, but again, looking at where we stand, no, I wouldn't want to be in the UKs position and governed by a person, that let people down and will now be celebrated as a hero that took the right risk when the biggest damage was already done and he had nothing more to lose. At least he will by some. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Poseidon said:

 

When Germany decided to not allow AZ for over 65, data was as follows: 

Studys showed immune response in adults over 65, but it was a lack of participants and people who later caught the virus that lead to the decicion, that data was not sufficient.

 

What you can do is critizise the government to sticking with the usual procedure during a pandemic ( and we all know that the usual procedure was not REALLY the usual procedure, as everything went way faster than it normally would)

 

And yes, we will copy your effort, because your government threw you right in there and the rest of the world now has a chance to have a life sized safety study, just like the world got to see what happens, when the government shut down the country way too late in march 2020. What a difference a week made...

 

Another lesson the world learned was, that you can't open up the country in the middle of winter, 3 weeks before christmas, with a base incidence in the 100s. So again, there was a risk, your government wanted to give your economy a chance and the result was a faster spreading mutation that got a super boost by that decision and is now keeping the world in alarm. Again and even more.

 

Boris Johnson is a gambler and again, he was in a position where he didn't even have another chance but to go all in with vaccinations. So far it seems it worked. Others will follow, maybe 1 or 2 months later, but the UK already paid a very high price for many bad decisions and btw. many of those decisions were taken against scientific advise. 

 

England and Wales, to this point, lost 107.000 aditional lifes to the pandemic compared to a "normal year" (starting March 2020) 

Upscaled to Germanys population, that's 150k.

Germany so far stands at 70k. 

 

No, I can't see the future. I don't know how and if a third wave hits Germany and hell, a lot of mistakes have been made over here, but again, looking at where we stand, no, I wouldn't want to be in the UKs position and governed by a person, that let people down and will now be celebrated as a hero that took the right risk when the biggest damage was already done and he had nothing more to lose. At least he will by some. 

 

It was meddling by politicians pure and simple.

 

Quote

"I think the EU made a grave mistake. Our politicians don't make scientific judgements of vaccine efficacy and I would expect their politicians to do the same thing – this is a scientific discussion."

 

The JCVI member went on to say that the political decision was not grounded at all in science: "There's no biological plausibility that a vaccine that works well in a 60 year old would not work in a 70 year old."

 

He clarified that the issue was not with EU scientists, as they came to the same conclusions as British scientists. "I think European politicians were wrong, I don't think their regulators said the same thing.

 

"Their regulators looked at the evidence and gave the same – broadly the same decision that our regulators did."

 

Tom pushed the infectious disease expert, noting that the EU were "not just wrong, catastrophically wrong. Costing lives wrong."

 

"Politicians have to listen to the advice of their scientists," Professor Read said, adding that "wherever that is practice, health benefits will accrue."

 

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/tom-swarbrick/astrazeneca-vaccine-eu-grave-mistake-cost-lives-jcvi/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Poseidon said:

 

When Germany decided to not allow AZ for over 65, data was as follows: 

Studys showed immune response in adults over 65, but it was a lack of participants and people who later caught the virus that lead to the decicion, that data was not sufficient.

 

What you can do is critizise the government to sticking with the usual procedure during a pandemic ( and we all know that the usual procedure was not REALLY the usual procedure, as everything went way faster than it normally would)

 

And yes, we will copy your effort, because your government threw you right in there and the rest of the world now has a chance to have a life sized safety study, just like the world got to see what happens, when the government shut down the country way too late in march 2020. What a difference a week made...

 

Another lesson the world learned was, that you can't open up the country in the middle of winter, 3 weeks before christmas, with a base incidence in the 100s. So again, there was a risk, your government wanted to give your economy a chance and the result was a faster spreading mutation that got a super boost by that decision and is now keeping the world in alarm. Again and even more.

 

Boris Johnson is a gambler and again, he was in a position where he didn't even have another chance but to go all in with vaccinations. So far it seems it worked. Others will follow, maybe 1 or 2 months later, but the UK already paid a very high price for many bad decisions and btw. many of those decisions were taken against scientific advise. 

 

England and Wales, to this point, lost 107.000 aditional lifes to the pandemic compared to a "normal year" (starting March 2020) 

Upscaled to Germanys population, that's 150k.

Germany so far stands at 70k. 

 

No, I can't see the future. I don't know how and if a third wave hits Germany and hell, a lot of mistakes have been made over here, but again, looking at where we stand, no, I wouldn't want to be in the UKs position and governed by a person, that let people down and will now be celebrated as a hero that took the right risk when the biggest damage was already done and he had nothing more to lose. At least he will by some. 

 

Yes i will criticise a government following a normal procedure during un-normal times when thousands are dying a day, but hey lets follow the normal slow procedure and make sure we have all the important paperwork compiled in order before we distribute our jabs.

 

UK's death rate wasn't that far off with the average European death rate per capita until the Kent strain hit us. I'm not the sort of person who blames the government when people start ignoring a clear set of rules like they did over the winter period. You also forget England is twice as densely populated as Germany so you're comparing apples to oranges here.

 

I don't think governments can be blamed for people ignoring a clear set of rules, it just makes people sound more edgy when they slag off their own governments 24/7. My family, friends and I stuck to the rules since day 1 and guess what, we never caught it. Realistically I knew from the start that the odd idiot would keep the virus spreading, the government has very limited control over that, so instead theyve focused on something they could control, the successful purchase and distribution of vaccines to all citizens in as limited time as possible.

 

As for trying to start the economy, well yes, we can't stay indoors forever, the economy needs to get going, people have lost their businesses and livelihoods and most of us are happy with the odd risk here and there.

 

Also please dont try blaming us for a new strain spreading across the globe, we aren't the only country to have new strains and the more people say comments like yours, the more rude you sound. If you're that worried about our variant spreading across the globe, speed up your vaccination programme. If your leaders cared more about saving lives than saving money on jabs, you wouldn't be so worried about our spreading variant

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the question of all questions: Are all those countries with reasonable governments better off because of their leaders being greater role models in terms of sticking to the rules or did populist lead counries at average just get dumber? Or were they always dumber? 

 

Oh yes, you CAN blame Boris Johnson for what he did to his country!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alabama had a huge case backlog dump, cases as far back as May 2020 😆

 

Accounting for that about 2% drop in case avg, 2-2.5% in hosp. Have finally decelerated a bit from the Jan-Feb descent, but also clear that last week was just reporting quirks. 
 

On the vaccine front, 7-day passes 2M on a quick path toward 2.5M. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Poseidon said:

So the question of all questions: Are all those countries with reasonable governments better off because of their leaders being greater role models in terms of sticking to the rules or did populist lead counries at average just get dumber? Or were they always dumber? 

 

Oh yes, you CAN blame Boris Johnson for what he did to his country!

 

 

I think you're confusing Boris Johnson with Dominic Cummings when it comes to setting examples. But yes, we are just a dumb country with dumb scientists that make dumb decisions to lead the vaccine race in western countries. We've always been dumb though, ever since having to stop other countries from trying to achieve world domination.... twice. It really took its toll on our state of mind.

 

Try not sounding like every other teenage uni student

 

Edited by Chicago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Alabama had a huge case backlog dump, cases as far back as May 2020 😆

 

Accounting for that about 2% drop in case avg, 2-2.5% in hosp. Have finally decelerated a bit from the Jan-Feb descent, but also clear that last week was just reporting quirks. 
 

On the vaccine front, 7-day passes 2M on a quick path toward 2.5M. 

If the current pace can be maintained we could be at the trough that we saw between the previous surges in about 2 more weeks. 

That would be truly excellent news. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.