DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

13 hours ago, The GOAT said:

In case it's not immediately clear to everyone, portal vein thrombosis (PVT) is not the rare blood clot of concern that was cited for the AZ and J&J vaccines. That was cerebral venous sinus thrombosis.

Very important difference, the cerebral vein is in the brain and the portal vein leads to the liver. Blood clots in the former are much, much more likely to cause permanent damage.

It's also very important to note (and the original source makes this clear) that the data for COVID-19, the mRNA vaccines, and influenza come from a completely different database than the data for the AZ vaccine. This is particularly of concern for the PVT comparison, which is much less severe than CV(S)T and so it's possible that many cases were missed in the large European dataset.

That said, this does bear further investigation, since if it's true that Pfizer and Moderna also carry an elevated risk of CVST and the clotting disorder known as VITT/VIPIT, it may actually have something to do with cross-reactivity of antibodies against the RBD of the coronavirus and platelet factor 4. In that case, a (very) low risk of VITT and blood clots might be unavoidable for COVID vaccines.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
On 4/16/2021 at 4:01 AM, fmpro said:

Not good news for countries who have this chinese crap on order

You should read a little more...

Chile vaccination

From Washington Post 

On Friday, Chile published its study on the efficacy of CoronaVac in the country, with more promising results than some expected. It showed that among the 10.5 million people it followed from Feb. 2 to April 1 — one-third of whom had received both doses — hospitalizations were reduced by 85 percent and ICU admission by 89 percent two weeks after a second dose.”

Spouse and oldest are through Pfizer #2.  Spouse needed a day to recover (it hit him much harder than me, but only for about 20 hours) - oldest had pretty much zero reaction (she had a few hours yesterday when I told her she looked tired, and she did, but she denied it...and that's it).

Just in case the 16-24 on the board need some data points for how it goes, too.  She never had anything more than a flu shot reaction to either shot...my next 2 oldest are now asking every day when 12-15s get approved, so they can get it done, since the oldest went so easily...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 6
56 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Spouse and oldest are through Pfizer #2.  Spouse needed a day to recover (it hit him much harder than me, but only for about 20 hours) - oldest had pretty much zero reaction (she had a few hours yesterday when I told her she looked tired, and she did, but she denied it...and that's it).

Just in case the 16-24 on the board need some data points for how it goes, too.  She never had anything more than a flu shot reaction to either shot...my next 2 oldest are now asking every day when 12-15s get approved, so they can get it done, since the oldest went so easily...

12 plus likely will be available in May at least for Pfizer.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

12 plus likely will be available in May at least for Pfizer.

That's what we're hoping - we want to go to FL to see family and then come back and get them the shots in early June before camps and another later trip this summer:)...I figure a few weeks of letting all the normal adults finish up will mean I don't have to stalk appointments for them in my area:)...

My youngest wants the shots, too, but I told him I didn't think he'd be able to get them before Christmas, but we'll see;)...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, lor15 said:

You should read a little more...

Chile vaccination

From Washington Post 

On Friday, Chile published its study on the efficacy of CoronaVac in the country, with more promising results than some expected. It showed that among the 10.5 million people it followed from Feb. 2 to April 1 — one-third of whom had received both doses — hospitalizations were reduced by 85 percent and ICU admission by 89 percent two weeks after a second dose.”

Interesting that the chances of death were 80%... Which is less than the chances of getting a hospital bed (85%).

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No reaction on either Pfizer shot from Yours Truly, for the record. 👍

Of the 9 people i know who got Pfizer, not a single one had any sideeffects at all

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm definitely envious as someone who felt fairly crummy for about 24 hours after the second shot. ;)

It wasn't that bad in the grand scheme of things, though - just a headache, tiredness, and off-and-on chills. My attitude to the whole thing was that compared to the alternative of actually getting the disease it protects against, I'll take it. It just came directly between two wicked stressful weeks of work, so being largely out of commission on a Saturday (as opposed to being able to get up and enjoy said Saturday) before needing to get right back to needed tasks on Sunday was annoying.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Porthos said:

My arm was hurting real bad for 2 days and I had a swollen lymph node on my armpit. I’ve heard some people have worse side effects with the second shot so I’m hoping that’s not me.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

My arm was hurting real bad for 2 days and I had a swollen lymph node on my armpit. I’ve heard some people have worse side effects with the second shot so I’m hoping that’s not me.

Might consider massaging your arm where you get shot off and on, especially the first 15-30 minutes.  As I understand it, it helps promote blood flow to the area of the shot and might lessen symptoms.

I know I've been told to do that for flu shots so I figured it can't hurt.

• Thanks 1

Apparently an 8% rise in 14 days in the USA is a "surge" .

As of 16 April, the US saw an average of 70,117 cases daily, a surge of 8% from the mean 14 days ago, with hospitalizations increasing 9%, according to the New York Times. A minimum of 21 states have seen at least a 10% increase in daily positive coronavirus cases, CNN reports of recent Johns Hopkins University data. However, deaths are down 12% in this period.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/17/us-coronavirus-cases-rise-health-restrictions

• Thanks 1

My family got our 2nd doses of Pfizer on Wednesday. No significant issues. A little soreness in the arms, my wife and son both had slightly elevated temperatures for about 24 hours but that was it.

FWIW, it looks like the US no longer has a supply issue, it is now starting to face a demand issue.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/18/us/covid-vaccine-slowing-us-demand/index.html

Basically, those who really wanted the shots have mostly gotten them, now it is about convincing everyone else to get one. Unfortunately right now the US is at 84 Million people completely vaccinated, 25.4% of the US population. 129M have received at least 1 shot (39.5%). 

NH is the only state right now with over 50% of population having at least partially vaccinated

CT, ME, NM, RI are tied at 32% being completely vaccinated. 

A number of states are starting to wonder whether they will be able to get to 50% of their populations completely vaccinated. 

So will the US be able to convince enough of its citizens to get a vaccine to get anywhere close to herd immunity?

18 States have had rises in cases of at least 20% over the last 14 days. 26 states have had increases of at least 10% over the last 14 days.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

My family got our 2nd doses of Pfizer on Wednesday. No significant issues. A little soreness in the arms, my wife and son both had slightly elevated temperatures for about 24 hours but that was it.

FWIW, it looks like the US no longer has a supply issue, it is now starting to face a demand issue.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/18/us/covid-vaccine-slowing-us-demand/index.html

Basically, those who really wanted the shots have mostly gotten them, now it is about convincing everyone else to get one. Unfortunately right now the US is at 84 Million people completely vaccinated, 25.4% of the US population. 129M have received at least 1 shot (39.5%). 

NH is the only state right now with over 50% of population having at least partially vaccinated

CT, ME, NM, RI are tied at 32% being completely vaccinated. 

A number of states are starting to wonder whether they will be able to get to 50% of their populations completely vaccinated. 

So will the US be able to convince enough of its citizens to get a vaccine to get anywhere close to herd immunity?

18 States have had rises in cases of at least 20% over the last 14 days. 26 states have had increases of at least 10% over the last 14 days.

Similar to Israel, their progress slowdown a lot after 40% first shot coverage. But that was partially due to the running out of eligible adult population. 

Now that my Mrs is pregnant we decided its best she doesn't get vaccinated due to the lack of tests in pregnant women. Ill just have to get vaccinated and make sure she stays in her closet until the baby arrives

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Chicago said:

Now that my Mrs is pregnant we decided its best she doesn't get vaccinated due to the lack of tests in pregnant women. Ill just have to get vaccinated and make sure she stays in her closet until the baby arrives

If she changes her mind, I'd suggest the 2nd trimester.  That's when you definitely feel your best, and the pregnancy has "settled in."  And if she waits a few months, she'll see the studies from pregnant women now (I think they are occurring while the children's studies are occurring)...

And if I haven't said before...Congratulations!:)

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4