DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

If she changes her mind, I'd suggest the 2nd trimester.  That's when you definitely feel your best, and the pregnancy has "settled in."  And if she waits a few months, she'll see the studies from pregnant women now (I think they are occurring while the children's studies are occurring)...

And if I haven't said before...Congratulations!:)

Yeah it was the lack of data for pregnant women that was the concern. She wasn't concerned about feeling rough from side effects but if the results are promising then great. The advice from our NHS if you're pregnant suggests if she works on the front line or is of high risk then its recommended you take it.  

Thank you, I'm sure you had said it :)

• Like 3

Too bad many of the military are purposely waiting until forced to get the vaccine. Horrible example to set.

I think we will easily get to 50%, especially with 12+ likely opening next month. Getting to 70% with Republicans becoming nearly 50/50 antivax? Probably not ever.

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Too bad many of the military are purposely waiting until forced to get the vaccine. Horrible example to set.

I think we will easily get to 50%, especially with 12+ likely opening next month. Getting to 70% with Republicans becoming nearly 50/50 antivax? Probably not ever.

I'm more optimistic:)...I think we'll easily get to 70% of total population once we have 12+ included:)...sometimes, it just takes a few months to soften positions and see it's all okay.

Especially since many people's antivax position doesn't stem from the normal anti-vax position, which would be much harder to break.  Most of them are just mad or scared - take your pick at what...but the thing with anger and fear is that it does dissipate and then more logical thinking kicks in.  We just need to give them some time and hand-holding.  We'll get there.  Just keep pitching the good news on vaccines, and keep it all positive:)...

• Like 4
1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

Annual Re-vaccinations....................

60% higher prices now for Pfizer. Supply and demand i guess. Ohhh catitalism how you show your ugly face sometimes. But looks like EU learned their lesson. Pay what they want

And will it stop them from making a vaccine that last 3-5 years just to keep the $ coming in?

Edited by fmpro
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, fmpro said:

60% higher prices now for Pfizer. Supply and demand i guess. Ohhh catitalism how you show your ugly face sometimes. But looks like EU learned their lesson. Pay what they want

And will it stop them from making a vaccine that last 3-5 years just to keep the $ coming in?

Europe will have its own mRNA vaccine soon.

CureVac is coming.

7 hours ago, AndyK said:

CureVac is coming.

I know. I expect approval i late May and first doses right after. But they are also a private company and will likely do the same if its a fantastic vaccine and EU buys more in the years to come

Danish company Baverian Nordic is also working on a vaccine if approved will come in early 2022 and they say they have a vaccine on their hands that will be effective 3-5 years minimum. But is that even possible with all these mutations? I doubt it

14 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Annual Re-vaccinations....................

If they charge rich countries 2 or 3 times the price in order to supply poorer countries at half the price, then that is fair.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

# of cases at an all-time high worldwide as pandemic accelerates.

Particularly bad in Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/20/europe/who-global-covid-cases-rise-intl/index.html

if you think of this as a race between variants vs vaccines it feels like variants currently have the lead.

also, this article has research suggesting natural immunity to COVID (what you gain if you actually contract COVID) appears to last for 6-7 months and may help to partially explain why areas with high seropositivity have seen large second waves in India.

https://www.businesstoday.in/latest/trends/20-30-recovered-people-lose-natural-immunity-against-covid-19-in-6-months/story/436312.html

Canada is another place where cases have surged (thankfully deaths have not surged to this point)

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/18/americas/canada-hospitals-brace-third-wave/index.html

On 4/20/2021 at 11:31 AM, RamblinRed said:

also, this article has research suggesting natural immunity to COVID (what you gain if you actually contract COVID) appears to last for 6-7 months and may help to partially explain why areas with high seropositivity have seen large second waves in India.

I wasn't able to find the original study but I very strongly suspect that what has actually happened is the 20-30% of people who have been reinfected in India are being infected by a different strain, and would continue to be immune to the wild-type strain.

Studies that have tested immunity by looking for antibodies and T-cells that respond to the original infecting strain have found that at least partial immunity lasts at least 6 months for the vast majority (~95%) of people. (https://science.sciencemag.org/content/371/6529/eabf4063)

Real-world data relying on deep sequencing of the virus from re-infected individuals also suggests that re-infection in successive waves is happening nearly exclusively because of escape variants.

On 4/15/2021 at 4:09 AM, AndyK said:

Interesting that although both AZ and Pfizer generate the same amount of antibodies, the AZ vaccine produces 3 times as many killer T-Cells.

This is from a while back but I was reminded of it by replying to the above post. This is one of the proposed advantages of viral vector vaccines; by actually introducing a virus they trigger a strong immune response from the set of immune cells that is specifically equipped to deal with viral infection. (They are called killer T-cells because they kill infected cells before the virus can be produced and released by those cells; antibodies are only effective at neutralizing viruses that are outside cells.)

It will be interesting to see if the higher T-cell counts result in more lasting immunity over the longer-term compared to the other vaccines. (Antibody counts tend to fall over time, memory T-cells are long-lived and help to create lasting immunity to viral infection in general.)

On 4/20/2021 at 2:36 AM, fmpro said:

Danish company Baverian Nordic is also working on a vaccine if approved will come in early 2022 and they say they have a vaccine on their hands that will be effective 3-5 years minimum. But is that even possible with all these mutations? I doubt it

Something worth noting is that viruses can only mutate while they are replicating inside a host. So once we get the pandemic under control (which will ultimately require vaccinating against existing escape variants), it's expected that in the future the production of new variants will be reduced compared to now.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, Jason said:

I wasn't able to find the original study but I very strongly suspect that what has actually happened is the 20-30% of people who have been reinfected in India are being infected by a different strain, and would continue to be immune to the wild-type strain.

Studies that have tested immunity by looking for antibodies and T-cells that respond to the original infecting strain have found that at least partial immunity lasts at least 6 months for the vast majority (~95%) of people. (https://science.sciencemag.org/content/371/6529/eabf4063)

Real-world data relying on deep sequencing of the virus from re-infected individuals also suggests that re-infection in successive waves is happening nearly exclusively because of escape variants.

This is from a while back but I was reminded of it by replying to the above post. This is one of the proposed advantages of viral vector vaccines; by actually introducing a virus they trigger a strong immune response from the set of immune cells that is specifically equipped to deal with viral infection. (They are called killer T-cells because they kill infected cells before the virus can be produced and released by those cells; antibodies are only effective at neutralizing viruses that are outside cells.)

It will be interesting to see if the higher T-cell counts result in more lasting immunity over the longer-term compared to the other vaccines. (Antibody counts tend to fall over time, memory T-cells are long-lived and help to create lasting immunity to viral infection in general.)

Something worth noting is that viruses can only mutate while they are replicating inside a host. So once we get the pandemic under control (which will ultimately require vaccinating against existing escape variants), it's expected that in the future the production of new variants will be reduced compared to now.

Thank you for the answer. Maybe a mix between Viral Vector and mRna in a 2 jab combination could do the trick?

On 4/20/2021 at 11:58 AM, AndyK said:

If they charge rich countries 2 or 3 times the price in order to supply poorer countries at half the price, then that is fair.

But isn't it actually the other way around.

On 4/20/2021 at 12:46 AM, AndyK said:

CureVac is coming.

Bio/Pfizer is already a shared one. And BionTech alone has larger production capacities than CureVac with its current contractors. If we get it under control in the EU it will be with Bio/Pfiz, OxAZ, J&J and Moderna.

Schools will close again in more parts of Germany (rising numbers and new rules).

The county I live in is above 100 again (with 105 above the first peak of the third wave and only barely below the peak of wave 2).

Deaths are on the rise again in Germany, were at 1095 in KW13, KW 14: 1440, KW15: 1552, KW 16: probably 1400-1600 (but still down significantly from peak in KW 1 (6146 deaths)).

• Like 1