DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

3 minutes ago, AndyK said:

UK is currently running at 93% take up.

But isn't UK first shot coverage is still slightly below 50% of total population? That means UK have about 40% of the population aged <18?

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Is that a polled number?  In the last decade, polling has been atrocious, so I think we'll be happily surprised by the beginning of June on how far off that number ends up being...think positive, we are getting there:)!

Demand is already plummeting which is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

But isn't UK first shot coverage is still slightly below 50% of total population? That means UK have about 40% of the population aged <18?

UK is running strict age order.

Currently doing 40+.

First shots have really slowed down, most are now going into second doses....around 500K/day.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Vaccine passports helps to concentrate minds. Scheme is running in Israel and will be up and running in UK soon.

Biden has ruled them out which will not help USAs numbers.

We definitely should have them. Make them voluntary but make it a giant pain in the ass if you don't have them. So many people are purposefully avoiding the vaccine for solely political reasons.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

In a few places, b/c it makes for good "news" - there's no slow down in TONS of states, and I wouldn't worry yet...even if we have a "pocket" like there was during the autism-anti-vax phase of a few decades ago, it will probably stay a pocket and probably scare that area straight.

Again, think and keep positive - it will get us to the line.  We could and would never get there by now - I've always said Independence Day from the get go, but I'm hoping now for early June...but we will get to herd immunity like Israel and the UK:)...

And if we don't, come back and grab this post, and say I was too optimistic:).  I mean, America is dysfunctional, but we are dysfunctional family:).  When push comes to shove, we have each other's back, and lo the person who tries to come at our family:).  Push comes to shove, we get this done, just like we always have, if with a few more grudging participants than normal:)...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Vaccine passports helps to concentrate minds. Scheme is running in Israel and will be up and running in UK soon.

Biden has ruled them out which will not help USAs numbers.

Very much agree here. Same in Denmark. Vaccine passports helps to get people out of the door and get their jabs. We are around 93-95%

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

And more and more vaccines keeps bulking up in stock while people die everwhere around the world. And America is the greatest country in the world?

Atleast get those AZ`s out the door and in to arms in other countries.. We have allready begun donating our AZ away

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

In a few places, b/c it makes for good "news" - there's no slow down in TONS of states, and I wouldn't worry yet...even if we have a "pocket" like there was during the autism-anti-vax phase of a few decades ago, it will probably stay a pocket and probably scare that area straight.

Again, think and keep positive - it will get us to the line.  We could and would never get there by now - I've always said Independence Day from the get go, but I'm hoping now for early June...but we will get to herd immunity like Israel and the UK:)...

And if we don't, come back and grab this post, and say I was too optimistic:).  I mean, America is dysfunctional, but we are dysfunctional family:).  When push comes to shove, we have each other's back, and lo the person who tries to come at our family:).  Push comes to shove, we get this done, just like we always have, if with a few more grudging participants than normal:)...

I hope so. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

I wish I share you optimism, But unless they are prioritizing 2nd shot than first or largely under coverage J&J . Some of the smaller, less populated and skewed Republican states like Alaska, North dakota, Wyoming, west Virginia all showing way lower first shot/2nd shot ratio( all <1.25x) than the national average(currently at 1.5x) . And all those have actually opened their vaccine eligibility to adult which should warrant some demand. All the signs showing they are hitting or at least closing the celling of willing to take-up rate.

But luckily those states are less populated too, so their impact to overall vaccination campaign should also minimal. As long as big states like Cali, NY, Texas, Florida, Penn, Illonis are in full force (relatively), the overall goal of herd immunity is still achievable.      

• Like 1

This export ban on raw materials for vaccines from the US seems incredibly selfish to me, especially when they're doing far better in terms of supply of vaccines than most other countries in the world. But I guess that's the American government for you.

• Like 1

In good news on getting us to the finish line, I had dinner with my friend and her family tonight, and after 3 months of visits and slight happy nudges, I've slowly changed their minds and they are sending the "guinea pig" (my friend) in for her 1st shot in 2 weeks.  If that goes well, the spouse and oldest kid will follow:).

Now, to work on my brother and his family, who may have already changed their mind, but we don't chat again til next Saturday (we have weekly emails and monthly chats, but it doesn't tend to come up in email:)...

Then, everyone I know (left, right, old, young, and everyone in between) will have gotten their shots:)...

PS - We get there getting people we know over the hump one at a time:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 8

The US has excess vaccines now anyway. The daily pace is falling fast because demand has basically been satiated. It’s strategically correct even in a purely self-interested manner to start doing vaccine diplomacy ASAP —

rebuild some international goodwill

Slow emergence of variants OS

Domestic right wingers might finally decide vaccines are good once we start giving them away to brown people 👀

• Like 2

USA cases have been on downward trend lately but positivity against total % is still at 5.2% (>5%) against 4.4% last month. How sure we are the cases is really coming down not because of lesser test conducted? 

3 hours ago, AndyK said:

Everything except the 30 million vaccines they are sitting on with no intention to use.

Soon to be 40-50 mill in early May i`ve read somewhere. Send em to Brazil and India ffs

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

it would be inhuman not to help India looking at the current state. I thought nothing could get worse than Brazil and India is definitely worse looking at the population and depth of carnage this wave is wrecking. If India is not at its feet impact is huge as its the big vaccine producer for many other countries as well. 

• Like 1