DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

This export ban on raw materials for vaccines from the US seems incredibly selfish to me, especially when they're doing far better in terms of supply of vaccines than most other countries in the world. But I guess that's the American government for you.

the theory here is that America want to pressure India in buying not raw material but vaccine.

That's another matter than Indian vaccine makers are completely milking the situation. In West you have vaccine sold at say .2-2 hours of minimum wage. In India the private rate is par 3-5 days of minimum wage. The private selling in India is at $8-17 while they are exporting to EU at $2.25 and many other countries at less than $6.

India will need 2.75B plus doses, at the current prices to govt, they are making $15B plus.

• Like 1

International help is not only humane, but also necessary from the ecomomic POV ... the way international economies are intertwined, you can't simply contentrate on yourself and case closed. As long as major ecomomies like India or Brasilia have wild spreads, there'll always be new mutations and new clusters and international trade and traffic will suffer accordingly. This crisis will only be over when it's over in every major country around the world.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, IndustriousAngel said:

International help is not only humane, but also necessary from the ecomomic POV ... the way international economies are intertwined, you can't simply contentrate on yourself and case closed. As long as major ecomomies like India or Brasilia have wild spreads, there'll always be new mutations and new clusters and international trade and traffic will suffer accordingly. This crisis will only be over when it's over in every major country around the world.

There's no much we can do when Brazil's president is an absolute moron.

14 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

the theory here is that America want to pressure India in buying not raw material but vaccine.

That's another matter than Indian vaccine makers are completely milking the situation. In West you have vaccine sold at say .2-2 hours of minimum wage. In India the private rate is par 3-5 days of minimum wage. The private selling in India is at $8-17 while they are exporting to EU at $2.25 and many other countries at less than $6.

India will need 2.75B plus doses, at the current prices to govt, they are making $15B plus.

True.

Even BioNTech/Pfizer and Moderna are around 2 hours of minimum wage (around 20$)*.

6 hours ago, Chicago said:

There's no much we can do when Brazil's president is an absolute moron.

Sadly not, which makes things like pandemics (or climate change) so incredibly hart to tackle, especially considering that most countries already have problems within their own borders.

I don't get why our politicians (in Germany) are talking about opening the order up, we haven't even finished vaccinating group 2 of the three priority groups / barely started with group 3 and they already talk about that, what exactly was the logic in those priority groups then? Furthermore it doesn't make sense in regards to it always being the plan to open it up for everyone once those in the priority groups got their vaccine shots. So why the fuck is everyone talking about it?

But hey, at least we are at 23.4 % for the first shot, so we will cross 25 % this week.

*EDIT: That are the prices in the EU contracts, as similar to the UK in the EU there is no private buying of vaccines, only the ones through the health system.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 2
14 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

They can't coin it with the Ox/AZ vaccine, the terms of the contract say they must sell at cost price.

There should not be any ability to get a COVID vaccine privately anyway, here in the UK its illegal.

Another problem for India is the sheer population size. Say the United States gives them 20 million vaccines, It doesn't even make a dent.

After the United States has really run into demand issues and we have gotten the bulk of our country vaccinated at that point we might as well start exporting because there's no point to save up. I totally agree we should have given up all 30 million of the AstraZeneca and we've started to I hope we continue to do so. After that I would love to see us produce at least another 500 million vaccines to transfer to other countries. 

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Another problem for India is the sheer population size. Say the United States gives them 20 million vaccines, It doesn't even make a dent.

After the United States has really run into demand issues and we have gotten the bulk of our country vaccinated at that point we might as well start exporting because there's no point to save up. I totally agree we should have given up all 30 million of the AstraZeneca and we've started to I hope we continue to do so. After that I would love to see us produce at least another 500 million vaccines to transfer to other countries. 

I think it is time to offer some incentive , either by tax cut or soft-vaccine passport to encourage hesitated group to take vaccine.

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I think it is time to offer some incentive , either by tax cut or soft-vaccine passport to encourage hesitated group to take vaccine.

Private industry is starting incentives - there's a "snacks for vax" campaign that includes Krispy Kreme, White Castle, Nathan's Hot Dogs, Budweiser, and Samuel Adams already (most running through Memorial Day - some giving a single treat, and some giving daily), and more local companies seem willing to offer "a treat" with a shot (I've heard New Orleans is literally giving out "the good" shots:)...plus, we have groceries and pharmacies starting to return to their "get a discount coupon or a gift card" to shop here bennies - pushing folks towards the places with bennies and advertising the other positive fun should help push some of the borderline (especially in the young) to the right side.  I mean, no one wants to go get a free beer with friends, and then find out one friend can't get one:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Can't be from the government though. At this point you would be punishing 150 million people that did their job and encouraging anti-vaxxers. Free giveaways, vaccine promotions, private employer compensation absolutely all off the above

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Can't be from the government though. At this point you would be punishing 150 million people that did their job and encouraging anti-vaxxers. Free giveaways, vaccine promotions, private employer compensation absolutely all off the above

Yeah, and I appreciate that most of the businesses are rewarding those who already did it and the new folks (and giving a deadline to encourage "do it now or lose out")...of the national campaigns, only Nathan's has to be redeemed the day you get the shot.  All others just need to show completed (so both shots if you need 2) vax card and then you can get the benny...

• Like 1

All this talk about vaccine passports is all well and good but I would be pissed off if they implemented it before people of my age are even offered a jab.

Us younglins didn't stay in for a year protecting our old only for them to go out and party the second they get their jabs lol