DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

19 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Only one dose needed for under 40s and those who've had a prior infection.

This further show it is time for USA or rest of the world to focus 2 shots for elderly while 1 shot for lower risk group. this is the balanced way to control both fatality rate and transmission rate at the same time.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Chicago said:

How do we know if we had it or not? 

A positive test and symptoms.

I don't know, but I think it's possible for asymptomatic infections might be dealt with by the innate immune system without generating antibodies, so just having a positive test might not be good enough.

The only real way to know is with an antibody test but why bother with that? just get 2 doses.

53 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Only one dose needed for under 40s and those who've had a prior infection.

I might revise your stated fact into a hypothesis.  One study which has a 12 week outlook has found certain information...whether that information changes as we get further out (to 6 months, 12 months, etc) is still very much TBD, so until the vaccine makers themselves, aka the ones who did all the work creating and studying these at the outset, say "okay, if you're young, just take 1 and you're good", I wouldn't advise people to only get one shot unless they are signing up for the one designed that way, and again available in the US - J&J...

• Like 1

Vaccinations will go back below 2M/day soon because of waning marginal demand. The era of trying to increase vaccine supply is basically at an end and the masking era is only going to last 1-2 months more. We’re making a big mistake helping India too slowly, but we consistently made big mistakes of a similar nature helping the US too slowly, so a big part of it is honest incompetence more than callous selfishness.

28 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Vaccinations will go back below 2M/day soon because of waning marginal demand. The era of trying to increase vaccine supply is basically at an end and the masking era is only going to last 1-2 months more. We’re making a big mistake helping India too slowly, but we consistently made big mistakes of a similar nature helping the US too slowly, so a big part of it is honest incompetence more than callous selfishness.

And you`re still getting 30-33 mill vaccines pr week and only need like half.
Great great great...

2 minutes ago, fmpro said:

And you`re still getting 30-33 mill vaccines pr week and only need like half.
Great great great...

Yeah the amount of totally unneeded vaccines delivered to states is about to skyrocket. I am optimistic that we will pivot to OS in May — though beginning with Canada, Mexico, and India.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Yeah the amount of totally unneeded vaccines delivered to states is about to skyrocket. I am optimistic that we will pivot to OS in May — though beginning with Canada, Mexico, and India.

They won't pivot in May if kids 12-15 are approved then - no way will the administration want to be "giving away" the shots parents (and teachers) want for their kids and make them wait longer...

I think that's why we got ahead and said all the delivered and getting delivered AZ is going to get shipped out - that one wasn't going on the "approve for kids" list, anyway...

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Fine with me.
As long they get of the shelves and into arms where ever they are needed.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

They won't pivot in May if kids 12-15 are approved then - no way will the administration want to be "giving away" the shots parents (and teachers) want for their kids and make them wait longer...

I think that's why we got ahead and said all the delivered and getting delivered AZ is going to get shipped out - that one wasn't going on the "approve for kids" list, anyway...

How many americans are in that age group? Aprox.

If you get 30 mill vaccines pr week for a long while you still have far more than you need and history will remember. 

What if those vaccines you could spare would prevent a mutation that fucked everything up again? No one knows but its possible

13 minutes ago, fmpro said:

How many americans are in that age group? Aprox.

If you get 30 mill vaccines pr week for a long while you still have far more than you need and history will remember. 

What if those vaccines you could spare would prevent a mutation that fucked everything up again? No one knows but its possible

In 2019, there were approximately 25M kids aged 12-17 (they don't break 12-15, but it could be about 17-18M) and another 47M 0-11.  Depending what Pfizer gets approved for (b/c I think they "win" for vaccinating kids, but I don't know if they just want approval for 12+, 5+, or even 0+), the US could need 40-140M doses (assuming some wastage) to vaccinate all kids in the short term...

In simplest terms, 73M+ under 18...https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/101-child-population-by-age-group#detailed/1/any/false/1729,37,871,870,573,869,36,868,867,133/62,63,64,6,4693/419,420

EDIT TO ADD: Some state health officials are expecting 12+ approval any day (pretty much, probably the day adults stopping wanting Pfizer), but definitely by end of May...https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/04/27/alaska-health-officials-kids-under-16-on-cusp-of-vaccine-eligibility/

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

Getting 100% on 12-15 is like 35M shots. Given demand is not 100%, more like 25M shots, 12.5M first doses (2nd doses would happen in June). That’s a little under a week, and will be covered with existing excess even if we stopped supplying any vaccines to states in Mid May.

• Like 1

1st male blood clot with the J&J vaccine in the states. 1 more woman also.

17 cases in total

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

well 

By the time they get any parts and made actual vaccines, the infections would have gone well past the peak. They need to get vaccines in arms right now not in a month's time.