DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

19 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Vaccinations will go back below 2M/day soon because of waning marginal demand. The era of trying to increase vaccine supply is basically at an end and the masking era is only going to last 1-2 months more. We’re making a big mistake helping India too slowly, but we consistently made big mistakes of a similar nature helping the US too slowly, so a big part of it is honest incompetence more than callous selfishness.

I would not count on that. Masking is going to be a thing for a while. I think it will be a semi permanent fixture to some extent. like we have seen masks used seasonally in some parts of the world for several years. That practice is going to be more widely adopted. I'll be using a mask during flu season going forward. Polling has confirmed this is a widely held view. I believe I saw as many as 70% claim they will continue to mask up in public in the results of one poll out of Ohio.

In the short term, the issues are the lack of vaccinations for children and the number of people refusing to be vaccinated. This is going to make dropping mask mandates very unlikely to happen this year, I think.

On 4/27/2021 at 2:02 AM, Chicago said:

All this talk about vaccine passports is all well and good but I would be pissed off if they implemented it before people of my age are even offered a jab.

Us younglins didn't stay in for a year protecting our old only for them to go out and party the second they get their jabs lol

Huh? What age are you talking about 16+ is available for everyone. Anyone who hasn't got the vaccine it's their fault at this point

14 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I would not count on that. Masking is going to be a thing for a while. I think it will be a semi permanent fixture to some extent. like we have seen masks used seasonally in some parts of the world for several years. That practice is going to be more widely adopted. I'll be using a mask during flu season going forward. Polling has confirmed this is a widely held view. I believe I saw as many as 70% claim they will continue to mask up in public in the results of one poll out of Ohio.

In the short term, the issues are the lack of vaccinations for children and the number of people refusing to be vaccinated. This is going to make dropping mask mandates very unlikely to happen this year, I think.

While the polling indicates that I think that at best 50% of the population will adopt to utilizing mass on a reoccurring long-term basis. People see the need for it right now but when things are calmer the polling will plummet

23 hours ago, AndyK said:

A positive test and symptoms.

I don't know, but I think it's possible for asymptomatic infections might be dealt with by the innate immune system without generating antibodies, so just having a positive test might not be good enough.

The only real way to know is with an antibody test but why bother with that? just get 2 doses.

Exactly. I can honestly say that nothing infuriates me more than people joking about a pandemic that killed 600,000 people in America. Flu deaths are down 99% because of the restrictions and we still have that many people die. 

Now those same people that made fun of covid and had covid parties are pretending to be concerned about the one in a million risk with a vaccine that provides 100% protection against death from covid.

My father-in-law is the biggest Trumper ever and even he and his wife both got the vaccine. Hell that was enough in itself for me to mend some of the friction due to his intense political beliefs.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Huh? What age are you talking about 16+ is available for everyone. Anyone who hasn't got the vaccine it's their fault at this point

I'm 31, I'm talking about in the UK where we still haven't been offered a jab yet but are still discussing Covid Passports 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Not everyone lives in America. Vaccines aren’t available to younger people in most places in the world. 

Why American like to cut short the party?

Just when they have some progress in case reduction since winter surge, Texas and other move to lift the restriction COMPLETELY

And now the vaccine seem to have finally reverse the course of 4th surge, the vaccination slow down likely due to demand issue.

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

Not everyone lives in America. Vaccines aren’t available to younger people in most places in the world. 

But Pfizer is still approved for 16 years and up

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cax16 said:

Oh I see I thought we were just talking about vaccine passports in America. I'm well aware other ones are doing it which obviously has had very positive results in getting people to get the vaccine. I think you have to establish the vaccine passports before eligibility though otherwise it takes too long and then people make excuses and use politics to try to stop vaccine passports like we are doing in America. Literally people are acting like they're being treated like victims of the Holocaust in order to have to have a vaccine passport 

Edited by cdsacken
2 hours ago, Chicago said:

I'm 31, I'm talking about in the UK where we still haven't been offered a jab yet but are still discussing Covid Passports 

I think for England which has a huge delay between the first and second shot It would make sense for those that at least have their first shot on their vaccine passport to have the same privileges conditioned upon them getting the second shot as well within the same criteria. Age 1 I bet you'll be able to get it in a couple weeks so it won't even be an issue for you hopefully

31 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I think for England which has a huge delay between the first and second shot It would make sense for those that at least have their first shot on their vaccine passport to have the same privileges conditioned upon them getting the second shot as well within the same criteria. Age 1 I bet you'll be able to get it in a couple weeks so it won't even be an issue for you hopefully

I'm not looking at travelling anytime soon but the covid passports have been mentioned for a couple of months here now and they were taking about implementing the system not just for foreign travel but also cinemas etc. First doses here have also slowed down considerably now the 12 weeks have gone by making the focus on 2nd doses so it seems doubtful that ill get my jab by the time cinemas open in 3 weeks, especially under 30's.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Oh I see I thought we were just talking about vaccine passports in America. I'm well aware other ones are doing it which obviously has had very positive results in getting people to get the vaccine. I think you have to establish the vaccine passports before eligibility though otherwise it takes too long and then people make excuses and use politics to try to stop vaccine passports like we are doing in America. Literally people are acting like they're being treated like victims of the Holocaust in order to have to have a vaccine passport 

I don't think the passport idea contributed that much in terms of persuading people to get vaccinated here. Polls seemed to suggest we were happy to take it early on. The vaccines were coming out at a point where we were having 2000 deaths a day (imagine that as 10k in the US, or 40,000k in India) and we saw the effect it had in reducing deaths ever since so it was a no brainer even with clotting news.

We also just wanted the pleasure of drinking that first of many cold pints with our buddies like before and a vaccine would get us one step closer to that bitter sweet end.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I don't think the passport idea contributed that much in terms of persuading people to get vaccinated here. Polls seemed to suggest we were happy to take it early on. The vaccines were coming out at a point where we were having 2000 deaths a day (imagine that as 10k in the US, or 40,000k in India) and we saw the effect it had in reducing deaths ever since so it was a no brainer even with clotting news.

We also just wanted the pleasure of drinking that first of many cold pints with our buddies like before and a vaccine would get us one step closer to that bitter sweet end.

I wish Americans cared more about drinking and less politics my friend. I'm not sure why I'm surprised we have more flat earthers in the United States per capita than any other country in the world

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I wish Americans cared more about drinking and less politics my friend. I'm not sure why I'm surprised we have more flat earthers in the United States per capita than any other country in the world

UK politicians are currently more concerned with who paid for BoJo's curtains in 10 downing street than they are with raging pandemics.

Madness is not a US specific thing.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, AndyK said:

That's bad news for countries uing the Sputnik vaccine; the problem however is probably bad QC during manufacturing. Might be better if this were produced somewhere with more expertise.