DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

2 hours ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

NYC fully reopening on July 1st. That means 100% capacity everywhere. Bodes well for summer box office. 

If it lasts. Based on vaccine hesitation I'm very skeptical

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Nearly 30%

I don’t think that’s good. Don’t think enough people want to get it. 

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Cookson said:

Where are we at percentage wise of fully vaccinated people here in the United States? 

From Wash Po today...

142.7 million vaccinated - The number of people who have received at least one dose of the vaccine, covering 53.4% of the eligible population, 16 and older and 43.0% of the total population.

We are doing awesome, and clearly crossing over politically, age-wise, and health-wise:).  We're gonna get to 70% of the 16+ getting one shot - I know it - it seems there were more people waiting for J&J to come back that I thought (apparently, where I am, the current choice this week is resoundingly J&J - people want "one and done" in time for summer)...

• Like 3
On 4/28/2021 at 11:22 AM, cdsacken said:

While the polling indicates that I think that at best 50% of the population will adopt to utilizing mass on a reoccurring long-term basis. People see the need for it right now but when things are calmer the polling will plummet

This is where I got the 70% number from, a poll conducted by Ohio State University.

https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/mediaroom/pressreleaselisting/life-after-covid

The survey found that nearly three-quarters (72%) of Americans plan to continue to wear masks in public, four out of five (80%) will still avoid crowds and 90% plan to keep up frequent handwashing and sanitizer use after COVID-19.

We'll see how people's views change over time, but I have to believe that such a major disruption to every day life is going to have a lasting impact on many who lived through it. I certainly won't be going back to pre-pandemic life as it was.

For example, I will never work in an office again. If I have to take a job that requires me to be in an office daily then I will take it, but keep looking for a work from home position. My concern isn't so much getting sick in an office, it is the liberation that working from home provides. I hate commuting and don't miss the social interaction at work. There's just no appeal to being in an office for me.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, doublejack said:

This is where I got the 70% number from, a poll conducted by Ohio State University.

We'll see how people's views change over time, but I have to believe that such a major disruption to every day life is going to have a lasting impact on many who lived through it. I certainly won't be going back to pre-pandemic life as it was.

For example, I will never work in an office again. If I have to take a job that requires me to be in an office daily then I will take it, but keep looking for a work from home position. My concern isn't so much getting sick in an office, it is the liberation that working from home provides. I hate commuting and don't miss the social interaction at work. There's just no appeal to being in an office for me.

You sound like my spouse - 15-20 years ago, he'd have never said this, but things change from your 20s to your 40s:)...

• Like 2
6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Latest positivity rate in US as of week ending Apr 25 is at 4%, the lowest since mid-Mar. Hope people don't ditch testing just because of vaccination 

Meanwhile, in Michigan we are over triple that figure, clocking in at 12.2% positive rate. And that's down from where it was.

The governor just set standards for reopening in stages based on vaccination rates, with everything going fully open once 70% of the eligible (age 16+) residents have been vaccinated. I hope we get there but I don't know if we will. Michigan is hovering just below 50% vaccinated which is good, but the vaccination rate is dropping like a rock. We're down 75% week to week in the number of new vaccinations. Vaccine resistance is a huge issue here.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, doublejack said:

The fact they do not seem to show the actual survey anywhere and that they have numbers so different than other survey of the sort (and such extraordinary numbers)

Consumer report have a more possible a bit under 20% (18%):

https://article.images.consumerreports.org/prod/content/dam/surveys/Consumer_Reports_AES_COVID_March_2021

That say they will continue to wear a mask for some time into the future, when asked the following question:

Which, if any, of the following would have to happen for you to be comfortable no longer wearing a mask or face covering in public to protect against COVID-19?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Meanwhile, in Michigan we are over triple that figure, clocking in at 12.2% positive rate. And that's down from where it was.

The governor just set standards for reopening in stages based on vaccination rates, with everything going fully open once 70% of the eligible (age 16+) residents have been vaccinated. I hope we get there but I don't know if we will. Michigan is hovering just below 50% vaccinated which is good, but the vaccination rate is dropping like a rock. We're down 75% week to week in the number of new vaccinations. Vaccine resistance is a huge issue here.

J&J might help it back up...it's the "hottest vaccine" around here this week - a LOT of folks seemed to want one and done:)...

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

J&J might help it back up...it's the "hottest vaccine" around here this week - a LOT of folks seemed to want one and done:)...

Yeah, definitely. That is the vaccine I received. I got my shot the day before it was paused. It is much easier to arrange a one and done than to worry about getting people back, especially when transportation is an issue.

There's also good news in the form of a lot of public awareness that vaccines are available and free. The state is doing what it can to get people covered.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The fact they do not seem to show the actual survey anywhere and that they have numbers so different than other survey of the sort (and such extraordinary survery)

Consumer report have a more possible a bit under 20% (18%):

https://article.images.consumerreports.org/prod/content/dam/surveys/Consumer_Reports_AES_COVID_March_2021

That say they will continue to wear a mask for some time into the future, when asked the following question:

Which, if any, of the following would have to happen for you to be comfortable no longer wearing a mask or face covering in public to protect against COVID-19?

70% does seem high to me but I was just showing that I didn't pull it from thin air, I had read it.

I'm not sure what percentage of people are going to "mask up" going forward, but I'm confident that there will be some who do. Instead of it being a really rare sight it'll become commonplace.

1 hour ago, doublejack said:

Well it's like holes to indicate that work from home is the new normal. It will represent less than 10% of the United States. Hybrid hopefully eventually will become the normal but 5 days a week in the office so many are going to try to push that so hard to snuff out work from home. Even a tech industry won't be above 25% for fully remote

For the record I desperately want to work from home to encompass 25% or more of the overall market. I'm in finance where it will be like 2%, or even less. I literally do remote surveillance of stock trading as a part of my job yet very few employers under 1% offer anything remote for that. It's infuriating

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

You sound like my spouse - 15-20 years ago, he'd have never said this, but things change from your 20s to your 40s:)...

I don't think I would want to do it 5 days a week. I like it two days a week and would really prefer three or four days a week. I have a 75 minute commute each way. 

The CEO scared everyone instead everyone back in September. About a third of my force threatened to quit because in my market more than anywhere other than San Francisco we will have the highest percentage of work from home. My boss already told me he's fine with me working from home 2 to 3 days a week for the rest of my career which slightly annoying because it makes it really hard to ever look anywhere else lol 🤣 talk about a ridiculously privileged problem

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

From Wash Po today...

142.7 million vaccinated - The number of people who have received at least one dose of the vaccine, covering 53.4% of the eligible population, 16 and older and 43.0% of the total population.

We are doing awesome, and clearly crossing over politically, age-wise, and health-wise:).  We're gonna get to 70% of the 16+ getting one shot - I know it - it seems there were more people waiting for J&J to come back that I thought (apparently, where I am, the current choice this week is resoundingly J&J - people want "one and done" in time for summer)...

Gibraltar has 110% of people vaccinated lol.

Edited by AndyK
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, doublejack said:

70% does seem high to me but I was just showing that I didn't pull it from thin air, I had read it.

I'm not sure what percentage of people are going to "mask up" going forward, but I'm confident that there will be some who do. Instead of it being a really rare sight it'll become commonplace.

Maybe like in asia, people with symptoms that go out will and some of people that had a very bad experience on a recent flu of the last year's.

It would be interesting if they would show what was the exact question they asked and the response choice they added together to come up with those numbers, but I would imagine they were conditional or once mask mandate are up but not necessarily in 2026 when covid is fully mentally in the rear view mirror

• Like 1