DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

I must ask, what is the point in people this young getting vaccinated? If everyone older are vaccinated then who could younger people pass it to?

You have to take care of mutation risk. The lower the amount of people infected, the less likely mutation occur.   

• Like 4

In a normal year like 2016-2019, USA recorded 100-150 seasonal flu death per day. Now covid causes 700+ death per day, and even that is considered a record low already. So when can we deduce that USA is back to normal? Try at least to bring that number of death down to 200 per day. 

I can understand and do agree that there is some concern over the fast rollout of vaccine. These concern are genuine and justifiable but that 21% who still refuse to believe Covid, they are just straight out moron.  

A Gallup poll released Wednesday found that 25% of Americans polled April 19-25 said they would not agree to be vaccinated if offered the Covid-19 vaccine at no cost.

That’s the lowest refusal rate Gallup has recorded so far, down from 26% in March and 29% in January and February.

The Gallup poll found the most common reason respondents cited for not getting a shot was that they’re waiting to confirm it’s safe (24%) followed by not thinking the effects of Covid-19 are serious (21%) and concern about the quick timeline in which it was developed (17%).

• Like 1

Keeping mutations low makes sense, I just thought herd immunity would have been achieved without the need for children but I guess people who can't or won't get vaccinated would still be at risk

You kinda have to wonder how many kids had/have Covid but never showed symptoms and may be self vaccinated already. Early stages showed kids didn’t show symptoms or was very rare. 

4 hours ago, Cookson said:

You kinda have to wonder how many kids had/have Covid but never showed symptoms and may be self vaccinated already. Early stages showed kids didn’t show symptoms or was very rare. 

Here in the UK, all school kids are tested every week and the infection levels are declining in line with the rest of the country, despite none of them being vaccinated.  You can't spread a virus if there is nowhere to catch it.

16 hours ago, Chicago said:

I must ask, what is the point in people this young getting vaccinated? If everyone older are vaccinated then who could younger people pass it to?

To reach heard immunity?

9 hours ago, Chicago said:

Keeping mutations low makes sense, I just thought herd immunity would have been achieved without the need for children but I guess people who can't or won't get vaccinated would still be at risk

In many countries. But a country like US will have a hard time reaching herd immunity without vaccinating alot of kids.

I don`t think countries like UK and Denmark, will have to vaccinate children to reach it. We may choose anyhow. But we should reach 70% without youngsters 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Chicago said:

I doubt Germany or France will reach the numbers necessary for that. Considering people 0-17 make up 16-20% in Europe and more than that almost everywhere else. 

But if you need with B1.1.7 etc. something like 70-80% (in general the higher would be better) than its pretty much everyone at least 18 has to get vaccinated. That won't happen, unless it gets mandatory, so including children is the cheap way out.

And at least in some parts most AZ/Ox doses seem to get used as in Lower Saxony apparently all doses delivered until last Sunday have already been used.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Taruseth said:

I doubt Germany or France will reach the numbers necessary for that. Considering people 0-17 make up 16-20% in Europe and more than that almost everywhere else. 

But if you need with B1.1.7 etc. something like 70-80% (in general the higher would be better) than its pretty much everyone at least 18 has to get vaccinated. That won't happen, unless it gets mandatory, so including children is the cheap way out.

And at least in some parts most AZ/Ox doses seem to get used as in Lower Saxony apparently all doses delivered until last Sunday have already been used.

Children are supposed to pick up their immunity to Corona viruses at school through natural infection.

That's what happens with all other Corona viruses. It's pointless vaccinating them.

• Not Cool 2
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Chicago said:

There is basically nearly zero reason not to get a vaccine. My daughter gets a flu shot every year, as do I. 

So much of our family is not getting the vaccine on my wife's side. I told my parents outright (mom and stepdad were hesitant) that no vaccine means no visit. They got it.

My wife's dad said they are waiting (age 70) but if they have to for their next cruise they might. My wife is a PA and tried to answer questions or concerns. They brought up fox news talking points and refused to listen. Slowly their minds have been destroyed and it sucks. Instead of listening to their daughter who is a healthcare professional they listen to their essential oils outright antivax daughter in law. I'm so done with this shit.

At this point shame and make everything mandatory that's fun to require it. Adults are terrified of a tiny vaccine kids are begging their parents to get. Makes me sick. (Not directed at you)

Edited by cdsacken
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Children are supposed to pick up their immunity to Corona viruses at school through natural infection.

That's what happens with all other Corona viruses. It's pointless vaccinating them.

Totally disagree. Rare side effects from covid can kill healthy kids. 22% of current new cases are from kids in the US. Kids that seem healthy with underlying health conditions can die. Multi-system inflammatory syndrome, long covid and other side effects can be deadly. Thousands of kids will die from covid this year, likely 600+ in the US despite precautions

• Like 3
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

No, they aren't supposed to get it that way. Nor is it pointless to vaccinate them. If it were, we wouldn't vaccinate children against all sort of stuff. Many illnesses were only dealt with by making sure that children were already protected against them, instead of letting them experience it first hand.

It also makes little sense to act as if every Corona-virus was identical. Belonging to one family of viruses doesn't somehow mean that you should treat all of them exactly the same way. Nor does getting one sort of infection from a Corona-virus somehow protect you against the others. They cover a very broad range. It's like saying that a very average case of Influenza is identical to the strain that caused the Spanish Flu.

You don't want to keep children away from coming into contact with every virus there is, but that doesn't mean that you just let them get all of them "naturally".

• Like 5
2 hours ago, AndyK said:

But first you have to prove that Covid-19 is only as dangerous as other normal corona virus. They may need only one shot, and i agree 2nd shot could be too much for this age group but asking them to walk into virus world unprepared is a bit too risky.  

54 minutes ago, George Parr said:

No, they aren't supposed to get it that way. Nor is it pointless to vaccinate them. If it were, we wouldn't vaccinate children against all sort of stuff. Many illnesses were only dealt with by making sure that children were already protected against them, instead of letting them experience it first hand.

It also makes little sense to act as if every Corona-virus was identical. Belonging to one family of viruses doesn't somehow mean that you should treat all of them exactly the same way. Nor does getting one sort of infection from a Corona-virus somehow protect you against the others. They cover a very broad range. It's like saying that a very average case of Influenza is identical to the strain that caused the Spanish Flu.

You don't want to keep children away from coming into contact with every virus there is, but that doesn't mean that you just let them get all of them "naturally".

Well i seem to remember chicken pox parties being a thing back in the day. Probably wasn't the safest but it was common.

In the UK there is still no confirmation that children will even be offered a vaccine given the extreme low risk. I guess the UK having more adults willing to take the jab will allow the vaccines to be more effective even if children are not offered any.

I guess we will just have to wait but it seems baccinated kids is low on the governments priority right now 

A problem that I don’t see talked about enough anywhere are Covid Long Haulers. We know that it affects kids too, and symptoms can persist for months. There have been reports of active child athletes that suddenly can’t practice their sport because of fatigue. Headaches, brain fog, chest pains can persist for months after. There really aren’t super good studies I’ve been able to find, but even all the anecdotal evidence is concerning.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid-long-haulers-long-term-effects-of-covid19

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

A problem that I don’t see talked about enough anywhere are Covid Long Haulers. We know that it affects kids too, and symptoms can persist for months. There have been reports of active child athletes that suddenly can’t practice their sport because of fatigue. Headaches, brain fog, chest pains can persist for months after. There really aren’t super good studies I’ve been able to find, but even all the anecdotal evidence is concerning.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid-long-haulers-long-term-effects-of-covid19

Enlarged hearts, endangering them for life and ruling out sports FOREVER

6 hours ago, George Parr said:

Yes they are.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/science-and-technology/2021/01/covid-19-will-likely-be-with-us-forever-heres-how-well-live-with-it