DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

After month of months of vaccination and restrictions,  there are only 3 states CA, Georgia and north Carolina managed to lower their covid, both in number of infection and death back to their summer range.....the rest of the top 10 most populous states are still struggling to keep the count low. 

this alone tell you just how stubborn this virus is around the world.

18 hours ago, AndyK said:

How things turn around.....

...and Germany rejects Bidens patent waiver plan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57013096

Because the over 60 will at some point be done, so if someone wants to take the risk they can. But now they actively have to decide to take it (and decide to not wait for another one), normally you would only say you want to get vaccinated and wouldn't know which vaccine exactly (so similar to the flu etc.), know you can decide to get AZ/Ox or wait and get one of the others. Even though the decision was made quite early considering how many people above the age of 60 live in Germany.

Not surprised by Germany rejecting it.

Today the parliament voted 498 voted against it (80,8% from those that voted/were present) and 117 for it (93 didn't vote (probably weren't present) and 1 abstained)) (the actuals question was if the proposition by the Linke should be rejected or not, so if the vote was "yes" it means to uphold the patent and reject the waiver (brought forward be the Linke), if the vote was "no" that mean agreeing to the waiver). The CDU ("christian" centre-right party), FDP (somewhat libertarian party but somewhat progressive in regards of LGBTQ+ for example), SPD (centre-left party) and AFD (right-wing party) all voted together. If they are broken down by individual state all states would have rejected the waiver (with the closest being Berlin 13:10 and Bremen 4:2).

19 hours ago, AndyK said:

The point of the article seems a little different (long term view in the center) than what you posted.

And isn't the study about vaccinating children about 12-15 yo and not 3-5 yo?

• Like 1

I took the plunge and got my first shot along with my mother. Not bad side effects wise, slightly sore where I got the shot but nothing serious. 

• Like 9
Posted (edited)

I got my second shot on Friday, three weeks after my last one (give or take a couple of hours :P). After the first shot I had back pains along with pain at the injection site, but the second shot also gave me general muscle aches, fatigue, chills/sweats, a headache, and nausea. Not a fun day yesterday, but luckily it seems like the worst is over. :hi5: I'm grateful to have had them.

Edited by Sir Tiki
  • Like 5
On 5/5/2021 at 10:13 AM, Chicago said:

I must ask, what is the point in people this young getting vaccinated? If everyone older are vaccinated then who could younger people pass it to?

I hate answering questions with a question, but in this case I feel it is warranted. Why would you not vaccinate children?

I can't think of a single logical reason, assuming the results of trials look good (which they do up to this point) to not do it. Children receive flu shots, right? At a minimum the same exact reasons exist to give children COVID vaccines.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, doublejack said:

I hate answering questions with a question, but in this case I feel it is warranted. Why would you not vaccinate children?

I can't think of a single logical reason, assuming the results of trials look good (which they do up to this point) to not do it. Children receive flu shots, right? At a minimum the same exact reasons exist to give children COVID vaccines.

Plus, children CAN get very sick and even die of Covid. And even if theyre not getting severly ill, Long-Covid aftereffects (which are still a big unknown and beeing studied) cant be totally ruled out even in asymptomatic cases. Plus (although the risk is very small, but a risk is a risk): If the virus can "survive" in children, it can also mutate to a form where it can bypass the vaccines again.

So yeah. Theres literally not a single good reason why you should not vaccinate kids.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Plus, children CAN get very sick and even die of Covid. And even if theyre not getting severly ill, Long-Covid aftereffects (which are still a big unknown and beeing studied) cant be totally ruled out even in asymptomatic cases. Plus (although the risk is very small, but a risk is a risk): If the virus can "survive" in children, it can also mutate to a form where it can bypass the vaccines again.

So yeah. Theres literally not a single good reason why you should not vaccinate kids.

If your child any brain or nerve  abnormality I be careful. Otherwise unless a serious health condition without question. Only a nutjob would. I would have my daughter in 6-12 trials of possible.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, doublejack said:

Out of the 120k deaths in the UK, there has only been 6 deaths in people under the age of 19 without underlining health conditions so with the vaccines we currently have, there is actually a higher chance of dying from a vaccine related blood clot if you are under 19

9 hours ago, Brainbug said:

True we don't know the long term effects of Covid but we also don't know the long term effects of the vaccines either. AZ and J&J had tests and were thought to be perfectly safe but when put into practice we have seen some issues in safety.

Obviously some risks are worth it in the older generations and kids with underlining conditions but its debatable whether its worth the risks in healthy children when to most, this is nothing more than a minor flu.

Besides, the vaccine rollout has already shown to be massively effective here and we haven't even finished the 30-40 year olds, it could be an unnecessary risk, especially when it was the younger patients more likely to recieve fatal blood clots

Edited by Chicago
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Chicago said:

Out of the 120k deaths in the UK, there has only been 6 deaths in people under the age of 19 without underlining health conditions so with the vaccines we currently have, there is actually a higher chance of dying from a vaccine related blood clot if you are under 19

True we don't know the long term effects of Covid but we also don't know the long term effects of the vaccines either. AZ and J&J had tests and were thought to be perfectly safe but when put into practice we have seen some issues in safety.

Obviously some risks are worth it in the older generations and kids with underlining conditions but its debatable whether its worth the risks in healthy children when to most, this is nothing more than a minor flu.

Besides, the vaccine rollout has already shown to be massively effective here and we haven't even finished the 30-40 year olds, it could be an unnecessary risk, especially when it was the younger patients more likely to recieve fatal blood clots

Yeah, based on UK data it might not be necessary, but vaccine uptake could be somewhat higher in the UK.

In Germany 5 without and 12 with underlining health conditions. Combined 11 between 0-9 and 6 between 10-19. And very important different to people 20-34 they have a significantly lower number in intensive care.

I think part of the worry is that at least in Germany the group below the age of 18 (with the centre being 14-18) now has the highest incidence (before that it almost always were either people between 18 and 34 (more detailed: 20-24) or above 75 (the group that now has the lowest)). Though they now are probably the age group with the most tests being done (school).

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Can someone please explain? Is this the universal vaccine for all corona variants?

5 hours ago, fmpro said:

Can someone please explain? Is this the universal vaccine for all corona variants?

It's a universal vaccine for all Corona viruses, including cov19, SARs1, MERS and even the common cold versions.

There are still 6 states such as Alabama, lousie, Mississippi are running behind 10 percentage point from national's average of 46% at least one dose for American. Luckily those states are generally smaller in population size, but they have bigger share of black population, meaning the vaccine hesitancy among black are truly significant. 

Of the most populous state, 4 of them got more than 50% at least one dose coverage such as NJ, NY , CA and Penn. Illinois are not far behind. The populous states which are underperform includes Texas and Georgia especially the latter. If USA managed to get target top10-12 most populous states, their vaccine goal shouldn't be have big issue. 

The problem is many southern poorer states with higher share of black are actually among those who are most vulnerable to the covid. So even if USA hit their vaccine goal, the overall headline result may not be fully promising.    

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

There are still 6 states such as Alabama, lousie, Mississippi are running behind 10 percentage point from national's average of 46% at least one dose for American. Luckily those states are generally smaller in population size, but they have bigger share of black population, meaning the vaccine hesitancy among black are truly significant.

No. They have a bigger share of Republican population. The vaccine hesitancy among Republicans is truly significant.

• Like 3