DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

There are still 6 states such as Alabama, lousie, Mississippi are running behind 10 percentage point from national's average of 46% at least one dose for American. Luckily those states are generally smaller in population size, but they have bigger share of black population, meaning the vaccine hesitancy among black are truly significant. 

Of the most populous state, 4 of them got more than 50% at least one dose coverage such as NJ, NY , CA and Penn. Illinois are not far behind. The populous states which are underperform includes Texas and Georgia especially the latter. If USA managed to get target top10-12 most populous states, their vaccine goal shouldn't be have big issue. 

The problem is many southern poorer states with higher share of black are actually among those who are most vulnerable to the covid. So even if USA hit their vaccine goal, the overall headline result may not be fully promising.    

If you look at where in each of these states the vaccine hesitancy is truly bigger, its pretty clearly caused by Republicans. In my (fairly red) hometown in Texas people were coming from all the blue areas to get vaccinated since the demand was so much lower. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2021 at 10:55 AM, fmpro said:

Can someone please explain? Is this the universal vaccine for all corona variants?

On 5/10/2021 at 3:59 PM, AndyK said:

It's a universal vaccine for all Corona viruses, including cov19, SARs1, MERS and even the common cold versions.

It is not quite that universal. The vaccine is effective against all group 2b betacoronaviruses, which includes SARS-CoV-1, SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19), and the other bat coronaviruses in that group.

It is not effective against the four common cold coronaviruses (groups 1 and 2a) or MERS (group 2c).

I'm not sure if another source implied otherwise, but the actual paper states the above explicitly:

RBD-scNP immune plasma IgG did not bind spike from the four endemic human CoVs or MERS-CoV (Extended Data Fig. 5a,c). The lack of binding by plasma IgG to these latter five S ectodomains was consistent with RBD sequence divergence among groups 1, 2a, 2b and 2c coronaviruses (Fig. 3f and Extended Data Fig. 6-7). The SARS-CoV-2 spike induced cross-nAbs against multiple group 2b SARS-related betaCoVs, with the highest titers induced by RBD-scNP.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
5 hours ago, Jason said:

It is not quite that universal. The vaccine is effective against all group 2b betacoronaviruses, which includes SARS-CoV-1, SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19), and the other bat coronaviruses in that group.

It is not effective against the four common cold coronaviruses (groups 1 and 2a) or MERS (group 2c).

I'm not sure if another source implied otherwise, but the actual paper states the above explicitly:

Thanks @Jason  Still fantastic news no less.

Is there any indication when such a vaccine could be ready? And how effective is it really against Covid 19? Or should we see it as prevention for the next pandemic?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

No. They have a bigger share of Republican population. The vaccine hesitancy among Republicans is truly significant.

The Bame community has shown vaccine hesitancy in many Western Countries so titanic2187 probably has a point

Though it is more fun blaming republicans for everything 

• Haha 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chicago said:

The Bame community has shown vaccine hesitancy in many Western Countries so titanic2187 probably has a point

Though it is more fun blaming republicans for everything 

In this case, it’s much more accurate to blame Republicans. That is my main concern. You frankly have to be quite detached from the facts not to realize that.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1
  • Not Cool 1
56 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

In this case, it’s much more accurate to blame Republicans. That is my main concern. You frankly have to be quite detached from the facts not to realize that.

I just find it strange how republicans are against vaccines yet it was a republican government that secured them their doses.

I guess American politics is very alien to me

3 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

In a nationally representative UK survey of 12 035 people conducted during November and December, 2020, 71·8% of Black and 42·3% of Pakistani and Bangladeshi respondents were “unlikely or very unlikely” to take the COVID-19 vaccine.

Available data from 43 US states up to April, 2021, show that COVID-19 vaccination rates in White people were almost twice as high as rates in Hispanic and Black people,

despite a higher proportion of White Republicans being unsure or unwilling when asked about taking a COVID-19 vaccine.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00938-7/fulltext

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

European Union doing really good now 😍👍

GBP had a good week too, especially against the Euro

3 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

If you take out all Republican states, you will realise the states with higher share of black (above national average) are at the bottom half. And the upper half like Iowa, South Dakota and Nebraska, the states with lower share of black.  This can't be coincident right? 

It is either there has been a huge discriminatory vaccine rollout or vaccine hesitancy.

Anyway, vaccine fear among Democrats states is clearly lower, big or small, black or white alike. All top 10 states with highest vaccination rate are all Democratic. In fact one has to go all the way down to number 22 to get a Republican state, i.e. Iowa,     

40 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If you take out all Republican states, you will realise the states with higher share of black (above national average) are at the bottom half. And the upper half like Iowa, South Dakota and Nebraska, the states with lower share of black.  This can't be coincident right? 

It is either there has been a huge discriminatory vaccine rollout or vaccine hesitancy.

Anyway, vaccine fear among Democrats states is clearly lower, big or small, black or white alike. All top 10 states with highest vaccination rate are all Democratic. In fact one has to go all the way down to number 22 to get a Republican state, i.e. Iowa,     

Its really hard to get around this without sounding like a racist or biased towards republicans.
I partly blame Trump. If he cared about the country more than about himself and the re -election he could singlehanded convince 10%+ of the public in the USA to get vaccinated.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

It's actually mostly because the states with most blacks also have the most white evangelicals, who also happen to be nearly universally Republicans. White evangelicals are actually the most anti-vaccine group by far. States such as Iowa, South Dakota, and Nebraska are majority white non-evangelical Protestant instead of white evangelical Protestant.

You can see from the below poll that vaccine hesitancy is now similar between whites and blacks overall - although whites are split into widely differing groups, some of which have very high vaccine hesitancy and others (not shown) that have very low hesitancy. (White liberals have hesitancy of about 7%).

(That said, inequitable vaccine distribution and earlier hesitation are probably still minor contributors to the lower vaccination rates in the southern states - but white evangelical/Republican hestitation is the most important factor by far.)

96245b92aeccc68c6176e92530ea3497.png

Edited by Jason
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, fmpro said:

Thanks @Jason  Still fantastic news no less.

Is there any indication when such a vaccine could be ready? And how effective is it really against Covid 19? Or should we see it as prevention for the next pandemic?

The article doesn't make a suggestion as to when a 2b-coronavirus vaccine would be ready - my guess though would be a timeline of several months to a year, based on the timeline for testing + approval + manufacture of existing vaccines. Hopefully it will be expedited somewhat - I'm sure it could be from a technological standpoint but I think the regulatory side is likely to slow things down.

This is a research article rather than a clinical trial, so it measured antibody production in macaques rather than infection prevention in humans - but based on the antibody levels, it is likely to be effective against COVID-19 in humans.

The real hope of a vaccine against all group 2b coronaviruses is that it would not only prevent another pandemic arising from this group but also make it much, much harder for the COVID-19 virus to generate an escape variant, since the antibodies being produced are broadly neutralizing against all the viruses in that group.

Vaccination in children in particular as part of the regular immunization program with such a vaccine could give us a real hope of eventually eradicating the disease. (High vaccination rates are easier to achieve in children, and also a pan-coronavirus vaccine in children would be more effective at producing broad immunity than in adults.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Jason said:

The article doesn't make a suggestion as to when a 2b-coronavirus vaccine would be ready - my guess though would be a timeline of several months to a year, based on the timeline for testing + approval + manufacture of existing vaccines. Hopefully it will be expedited somewhat - I'm sure it could be from a technological standpoint but I think the regulatory side is likely to slow things down.

This is a research article rather than a clinical trial, so it measured antibody production in macaques rather than infection prevention in humans - but based on the antibody levels, it is likely to be effective against COVID-19 in humans.

The real hope of a vaccine against all group 2b coronaviruses is that it would not only prevent another pandemic arising from this group but also make it much, much harder for the COVID-19 virus to generate an escape variant, since the antibodies being produced are broadly neutralizing against all the viruses in that group.

Vaccination in children in particular as part of the regular immunization program with such a vaccine could give us a real hope of eventually eradicating the disease. (High vaccination rates are easier to achieve in children, and also a pan-coronavirus vaccine in children would be more effective at producing broad immunity than in adults.)

Thanks @jason for your comments. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Take note that a huge portion of the Hispanic population is Republican. Those that are Hispanic and Republican are about 10x more likely to not want to get the vaccine. 

Regardless of race if you look at hesitancy or pure on anti-vaxxer Republicans outnumber Democrats 5 to 1. It was a nightmare to get my mom to get the vaccine. It was literally get it and come see my daughter or don't and don't see her.

My wife's family is only going to consider it for cruises. We already told them we will not go to the wedding of their relatives because of it. I literally talked about 5G lol as a joke he was mad. Anyone with hesitation about it that isn't scared of covid is delusional. 

• Like 2

Indian variant is taking off in northern England.

Seems to be all in younger people, the older cohorts are all vaccinated.

May mess up the June full reopening.

In other news, I see the Israelis have gone completely back to normal, fighting with Palestinians.

7 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Take note that a huge portion of the Hispanic population is Republican. Those that are Hispanic and Republican are about 10x more likely to not want to get the vaccine. 

Regardless of race if you look at hesitancy or pure on anti-vaxxer Republicans outnumber Democrats 5 to 1. It was a nightmare to get my mom to get the vaccine. It was literally get it and come see my daughter or don't and don't see her.

My wife's family is only going to consider it for cruises. We already told them we will not go to the wedding of their relatives because of it. I literally talked about 5G lol as a joke he was mad. Anyone with hesitation about it that isn't scared of covid is delusional. 

But first, why do they hesitate? If they refuse to take vaccine due to safety concern, the strategy should shift to focusing on "at least one-shot" for these group. If they are just simply procrastinating, financial incentive should do the trick.

But if they are just some cult who believe in conspiracy theories or refuse to believe the danger of covid-19, the best strategy is to let them die then.       

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Indian variant is taking off in northern England.

Seems to be all in younger people, the older cohorts are all vaccinated.

May mess up the June full reopening.

In other news, I see the Israelis have gone completely back to normal, fighting with Palestinians.

I'm rooting for the Palenstines. They are the good guys

34 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I'm rooting for the Palenstines. They are the good guys

The israelis may be assholes, but Hamas are bigger assholes.