DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

On 5/17/2021 at 10:17 AM, AndyK said:

That death number looks kinda artificial though, considering their average is 40 deaths / day (which is definitely already far better than during january when deaths were above 300 / day).

15 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

States are giving million lottery worth lottery to "bribe" people for vaccination. Is it worth??   

Absolutely.  100%.  

Whatever works (as long as it isn't immoral).  And this ain't, in my book.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Absolutely.  100%.  

Whatever works (as long as it isn't immoral).  And this ain't, in my book.

I mean, most of the states giving lottery are already having their vaccination rate higher than national average. This probably will give a lot more significant uptick in southern states where vaccination rate will have a lot more room to grow. Not to mention they are generally the poorer states that probably financial incentive will do more tricks but this is unlikely because they are Republican state    

28 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

but this is unlikely because they are Republican state    

If you're talking about Ohio, from what I understand, vaccination rates went up immediately after this program was announced.  Could be coincidence.  But to paraphrase a famous line from Garak in DS9, while I realize that coincidences happen every day, that doesn't mean I trust them. 

To put it another way, the "carrot" approach has been shown to work in other places (free tickets to events, free beer, so on) and while this is a bit more extreme, the same psychology is in play.  Give people an actual incentive to do something besides "it's good for you/society".

Also, got to admit, I find the irony somewhat delicious in that some folks who might be not really calculating how extreme the odds of something bad happening really are then in turn don't really understand the odds of how unlikely it is for them to win a vaccine lottery.  Using innumeracy for good, as it were.

Or, if one wants to be slightly less cynical, realizing that sociology is in fact a thing, and it can indeed be used for good.

• Like 2

My mother had her second shot Monday with minimal side effects.

My second shot is today at 1, excited about finally being fully vaccinated. 

• Like 4

Just checked worldmeters and it seems the worst situation is in India and Latin America (especially Brazil). US is not doing too great either, but better

Posted (edited)

After the pandemic subsides goverments should do a worldwide get healthy effort. Studies have shown that overweight/obese individuals are much more likely to suffer extreme Covid side effects than others. We should start raising tax on sugary/unhealthy foods like we do ciggerrates and really try getting people to help themselves more because right now we have people that haven't looked after their body their whole life rocking a BMI over 40 and their deaths are going down as strictly caused by Covid-19 despite 90% of the work already being done by the individual.

Tax the fast food chains so plastic crap isn't the cheapest and most convenient option then when the next pandemic occurs, it wont hit us quite as hard

Edited by Chicago

I'd rather subsidize produce and lean meat etc. Spend more on education around food. 

Lack of exercise in America is a huge component. There are probably 30-40% who exercise zero days a year

• Like 1

I can't tell you how easy it is to listen to a podcast an audiobook a million other things. And just take a long walk. I haven't even ran this year but I walk about 50 miles a week. 

• Like 1

Some mild resurgence in UK due to Indian variant but number of death remains at negligible level and number of new admission continue to at all time low. 

As for USA, the number of cases and death all dropping despite the continuous lenient restriction, It is now 90% lower than the peak recorded in Jan for number of cases. I haven't seen any sign of divergences between hospitalization+death versus number of new cases. Much of the reduction in admission and death are still largely attributed to lower number of cases. So, conservatively, we are not yet there to de-scale covid closer to a less lethal common flu.    

• Sad 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Just so you know the Epoch Times is, quite literally, run by a far right group that, if it isn't a cult, is close enough as not to make much difference in the end.  Even if one doesn't want to think of them as a cult, they are a bunch of people who push disinformation, shamelessly traffic in QAnon conspiracies and, as I check, have embraced anti-vaccine conspiracies.

The actual news story about a NZ court might be correct (haven't checked), but their spin and commentary is one million percent bullshit.

Better sources out there to let us know about this, is more or less what I am saying.

*checks*

Yeah, what I thought.  'reasonably arguable that the rollout was problematic'.

In a decision released on Tuesday, Judge Rebecca Ellis said: "it is reasonably arguable that the decision to provisionally approve the vaccine for much wider use is problematic" and went beyond the powers of section 23 of the Medicines Act.

Doing so could undermine public confidence in the vaccine and waste vaccine stock that already in New Zealand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with NZME.

What Ellis said could be problematic was the vaccine being granted for a limited number of New Zealanders - namely those aged over 16.

"While I acknowledge that this is a more "limited" class of persons than "all New Zealanders", a class of that size seems well beyond what is contemplated by a straightforward, purposive, reading of the section," she said.

However, Ellis declined to grant interim orders stopping the vaccine rollout - sought by the plaintiff - on the basis the repercussions "are too great, by some very considerable margin".

In response, Health Minister Andrew Little said the Government was making an urgent "technical amendment to modernise the law".

Little said section 23 had been used over 40 years by successive governments to grant early access to approved medicines when there was public good.

So what she appears to be saying is that the current law as written potentially might not allow for such a large class of people to be given shots under currently drafted emergency use.

If the Epoch Times article has anything else to say, I frankly don't give a damn.  I refuse to even give them a hate click as it still rewards their outrageous behavior.

EDITED:::

Ah, I see @cdsacken beat me to the punch.  That what I get for researching and trying to carefully word my reply. :lol: 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Epoch times is a conservative anti-vaxx publication.

Here's a follow-up tweet to that

So basically it is merely a legality issue. Nothing to do with the actual vaccine itself. Court is suppose to interpret and rule out everything that against law although it may not be a correct decision but law is law , regardless good or bad so don't blame the court, blame the impractical law during this emergency.   

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Just so you know the Epoch Times is, quite literally, run by a far right group that, if it isn't a cult, is close enough as not to make much difference in the end.  Even if one doesn't want to think of them as a cult, they are a bunch of people who push disinformation, shamelessly traffic in QAnon conspiracies and, as I check, have embraced anti-vaccine conspiracies.

The actual news story about a NZ court might be correct (haven't checked), but their spin and commentary is one million percent bullshit.

Better sources out there to let us know about this, is more or less what I am saying.

*checks*

Yeah, what I thought.  'reasonably arguable that the rollout was problematic'.

So what she appears to be saying is that the current law as written potentially might not allow for such a large class of people to be given shots under currently drafted emergency use.

If the Epoch Times article has anything else to say, I frankly don't give a damn.  I refuse to even give them a hate click as it still rewards their outrageous behavior.

EDITED:::

Ah, I see @cdsacken beat me to the punch.  That what I get for researching and trying to carefully word my reply. :lol: 

Lol, I had no idea.

Should have done some due diligence.

• Like 2