DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

6 hours ago, Chicago said:

Wearing a facemask whilst you're driving alone in your car is the equivalent of walking around town wearing a seatbelt. 

I’ve done this a few times, for convenience — if I’m coming up to a security guard gate where I need to interact with someone, or I’m literally driving like a block to a business, for example (hey, I live in LA).

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

USA had 2.05m dose administered yesterday, I think this is the first 2m since a month ago. Some notable speed up in Texas and florida. 

fear of Delta or are they just giving stuff away as vaxx rewards?

5 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’ve done this a few times, for convenience — if I’m coming up to a security guard gate where I need to interact with someone, or I’m literally driving like a block to a business, for example (hey, I live in LA).

My problem is I wear the mask multiples times a day, and i have to put it in my pocket when I'm not using it, touching all sorts of every day items like wallets, keys and my phone (which lets face it, we dont wash).  Being a year into the pandemic, its hard to religiously wash my mask every night or always have a fresh one so i feel wearing something that's designed to block Covid when there are no people around actually seems more harmful if the mask has managed to succeed at doing its job at any point of the day.

6 minutes ago, Chicago said:

My problem is I wear the mask multiples times a day, and i have to put it in my pocket when I'm not using it, touching all sorts of every day items like wallets, keys and my phone (which lets face it, we dont wash).  Being a year into the pandemic, its hard to religiously wash my mask every night or always have a fresh one so i feel wearing something that's designed to block Covid when there are no people around actually seems more harmful if the mask has managed to succeed at doing its job at any point of the day.

Saw an online priest with a partial solution - you lanyard your mask, so it never gets stuffed in anywhere and you can just bring it up and down by the straps...it was a genius item...

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

At this point I mainly just use the disposables — and I have a bunch of old cloth ones just stuffed in my glove compartment at this point, which is helpful if I forget others. 

• Like 1

That weird social pressure where you take OFF a mask when inside an establishment so folks don't think you are unvaccinated. :ph34r:

Spoiler

When I stopped by a Baskin Robbins today, I saw a sign asking patrons to wear a mask if they were not yet fully vaccinated in accordance with latest CDC guidelines.

Don't look at me that way!  I didn't want people to get the wrong idea about me, al'ight? j1aUlyv.gif

Spoiler

First time I've seen that sort of sign here in Cali, for the record [Cali lifted most restrictions this past Tuesday].

• Like 1

Some states in India like Maharashtra and Bihar are now working on to report the previously overlooked covid death. Bihar reported nearly 4000 "old" death while Maharashtra added at least 11000 death to the total. Even with this, the true scale may still be underreported. Another two big populous state like Pradesh and West Bengal still have their count far lower than the anecdotal evidence. Wonder if similar exercise would be carried in these states.  

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

That weird social pressure where you take OFF a mask when inside an establishment so folks don't think you are unvaccinated. :ph34r:

Reveal hidden contents

THIS!

It's a really weird bit of cognitive dissonance. On one hand, my general rule-of-thumb is that I'm going to continue to wear a mask in places where employees are still required to wear masks; on the other hand, I was fully vaccinated relatively early thanks to my profession and in a climate where even something as seemingly basic as getting vaccines is a politically-charged act, I don't want there to be any doubt that I did my part and got vaccinated. And given that I live in a pretty conservative area, the latter point applies doubly so. *Shrugs hard*

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 2

UK cases are rising but what I find interesting is the amount of testing that's being done. We are averaging 974k tests a day, compared to USA for example that are testing half that with 5x the population. Or Germany a population of 80m+ testing just 125k per day. Could it be that cases in many countries right now may be largely underestimated? 

22 hours ago, Chicago said:

Could it be that cases in many countries right now may be largely underestimated? 

Most certainly. That's why it's usually better to look at "hard" numbers like overmortality or ICU cases if you want to know how big of a problem you've got.

I've stopped wearing masks at most places. The majority of employees at every store or restaurant I've been to since the CDC updated their guidelines are maskless, and considering Florida has had open vaccine eligibility for nearly three months now, it's on you if you're not vaxxed by now. It also doesn't help that Florida is struggling to hit 60% vaccinated, so waiting for a specific percentage benchmark to unmask is meaningless at this point.

• Not Cool 1
Sunday just in: +849K doses reported administered over yesterday’s total. This includes 351K newly vaccinated. Congratulations to Virginia which became the 16th state to hit 70% of adults with at least one dose! Expect some reporting delay from holiday in next few days."

Hurray!  Now, the top of the state partly carried the bottom, but it wouldn't have gotten to 70% without everyone chipping in!  

PS - Our stores now have signs that say both "no masks for vaccinated/masks for unvaccinated BUT exceptions made for children and those with health conditions" - I respected the clearest sign that they didn't want parents with one non-vaxxed young kid having to mask while the rest of the family could go without - aka, shop with no drama if you did your part.  Since we are under 1% daily positivity and under 5 cases/day with 1.1M folks, this seems like a good plan, especially with the weather always helping. 
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I've stopped wearing masks at most places. The majority of employees at every store or restaurant I've been to since the CDC updated their guidelines are maskless, and considering Florida has had open vaccine eligibility for nearly three months now, it's on you if you're not vaxxed by now. It also doesn't help that Florida is struggling to hit 60% vaccinated, so waiting for a specific percentage benchmark to unmask is meaningless at this point.

Conversely, employees at most stores and restaurants are still masked here, and most businesses still ask people to remain masked while shopping. Solid mix of people still masking up outside (although steadily increasing numbers of people who aren’t). Doesn’t seem to be much ruckus from folks, I think many are pretty used to wearing masks now, and seems like people still have a few handy in case they need to mask up.

• Like 1

Last Sunday i dodged covid. About 30 of us watched our local team play their cup football game down the local sport centre, half of us went to the pub after to watch England V Croatia whilst the other half went to a different pub. 

The half I wasn't with all ended up catching Covid that night, looks like we picked the right pub 🤣

• Like 2

Here in Rhode Island, we're pretty much back to normal. I was at my first party yesterday and it was great seeing so many friends. It's nice living in a state with a high vax rate; you can trust most people are telling the truth about getting their shot. 

• Like 4

So my company has advised at the end of the month you do not have to wear a mask indoors as long as you are vaccinated and go into your work profile and update your vaccination proof. 

On my team of 12 I have two people who are hesitant to get the vaccine. I advise them that more people are coming into the workplace and that even at their desk they will need to wear a mask if they're not vaccinated. 

One of them who had covered through a hissy fit talking about antibodies. Advised him that an antibody test would not be sufficient but they were welcome to get a vaccine and upload that having plenty of time before September to do so.

This is an extremely liberal area and two of my 12 teammates are basically anti-vaxxers. The country went from 5% to 40% anti-vaxx 😢

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

So my company has advised at the end of the month you do not have to wear a mask indoors as long as you are vaccinated and go into your work profile and update your vaccination proof. 

On my team of 12 I have two people who are hesitant to get the vaccine. I advise them that more people are coming into the workplace and that even at their desk they will need to wear a mask if they're not vaccinated. 

One of them who had covered through a hissy fit talking about antibodies. Advised him that an antibody test would not be sufficient but they were welcome to get a vaccine and upload that having plenty of time before September to do so.

This is an extremely liberal area and two of my 12 teammates are basically anti-vaxxers. The country went from 5% to 40% anti-vaxx 😢

Have hope - my last remaining holdout friend (who has asthma and allergies) mentioned out loud when I was over this weekend, that he'd need to get his shot done before joining 6 of us for a private escape room experience.  This dude was a "never ever" a few months ago, and now he's announcing he's gonna get it done.  Time and support can change a lot of minds (and yes, I bought the private escape room to see if I could get a nudge, and I didn't even have to do so)...it does probably help my area is at some crazy % for adult 1st shots, so everyone he knows has probably had one and been okay - that's kinda the biggest thing to get anti-vaxxers over the hump - that you're just fine afterwards...

• Like 6

Being reported that UK is to end mask and social distancing mandates on 19th July.

Cases are going up with the delta variant spread but deaths are static and very low.

So this is the begining of the learn to live with it phase.

• Like 1