DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

15 hours ago, cdsacken said:

So my company has advised at the end of the month you do not have to wear a mask indoors as long as you are vaccinated and go into your work profile and update your vaccination proof. 

On my team of 12 I have two people who are hesitant to get the vaccine. I advise them that more people are coming into the workplace and that even at their desk they will need to wear a mask if they're not vaccinated. 

One of them who had covered through a hissy fit talking about antibodies. Advised him that an antibody test would not be sufficient but they were welcome to get a vaccine and upload that having plenty of time before September to do so.

This is an extremely liberal area and two of my 12 teammates are basically anti-vaxxers. The country went from 5% to 40% anti-vaxx 😢

no doubt that you are going to have a tough winter. USA will not even be close to herd immunity with these new variants.

Danish experts says they expect 80-85% needs to be fully vaccinated before that happens. Not many countries will hit that goal.

I got my 1st jab 9 days ago and had zero sideeffects

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AndyK said:

Being reported that UK is to end mask and social distancing mandates on 19th July.

Cases are going up with the delta variant spread but deaths are static and very low.

So this is the begining of the learn to live with it phase.

We have been the ultimate Gunnie pigs when it comes to this virus. From herd immunity down to the effectiveness of vaccines.

Nice to see deaths so low. With all the social distancing leading to lower flu deaths throughout the year, there's a possibility we see a spike this winter when everything goes back to normal given anti bodies for flu will be at a low. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, cdsacken said:

So my company has advised at the end of the month you do not have to wear a mask indoors as long as you are vaccinated and go into your work profile and update your vaccination proof. 

On my team of 12 I have two people who are hesitant to get the vaccine. I advise them that more people are coming into the workplace and that even at their desk they will need to wear a mask if they're not vaccinated. 

One of them who had covered through a hissy fit talking about antibodies. Advised him that an antibody test would not be sufficient but they were welcome to get a vaccine and upload that having plenty of time before September to do so.

This is an extremely liberal area and two of my 12 teammates are basically anti-vaxxers. The country went from 5% to 40% anti-vaxx 😢

Sad to see that US will almost miss its 70% coverage goal by ID. They achieved first 100m and 200m goal easily but when the campaign starting to face deeper share into population, the ugly reality surface. Covid still killing 300 people average in USA, and that is in the midst of summer! Yet some 25-30% of adult choose to be defeated without a fight. 

• Like 1
On 6/22/2021 at 2:19 PM, TwoMisfits said:

Have hope - my last remaining holdout friend (who has asthma and allergies) mentioned out loud when I was over this weekend, that he'd need to get his shot done before joining 6 of us for a private escape room experience.  This dude was a "never ever" a few months ago, and now he's announcing he's gonna get it done.  Time and support can change a lot of minds (and yes, I bought the private escape room to see if I could get a nudge, and I didn't even have to do so)...it does probably help my area is at some crazy % for adult 1st shots, so everyone he knows has probably had one and been okay - that's kinda the biggest thing to get anti-vaxxers over the hump - that you're just fine afterwards...

I resisted the urge to utterly shame the 22-year-old in front of everybody. I said look man get the vaccine or not but you're wearing a mask when more people come in the office if you don't. My more people come in the office remote isn't going to be an option for you because your brand new. 

I knew from day one he was going to be a problem. I think people like him failed to realize just how important manager feedback is. The other guy from Montana immediately was like yeah I'm getting the vaccine.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, fmpro said:

no doubt that you are going to have a tough winter. USA will not even be close to herd immunity with these new variants.

Danish experts says they expect 80-85% needs to be fully vaccinated before that happens. Not many countries will hit that goal.

I got my 1st jab 9 days ago and had zero sideeffects

I'm glad to hear that for you. In my area the vast majority of people have got their vaccine thankfully. 

I think King county is probably the biggest county in the country to hit 70% already.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

I'm glad to hear that for you. In my area the vast majority of people have got their vaccine thankfully. 

I think King county is probably the biggest county in the country to hit 70% already.

Damn, 2.25M+...and I thought my county was huge - awesome to hear for you!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I hope you get higher than 70%. This new Delta is a tough cookie to deal with

• Like 1

I have to wear a mask at work for the first time in the pandemic today. You're exempt if you are in your only separate office.

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

E4oJKNyUYAAicq_?format=jpg&name=medium

:hahaha:

I'm all against anti vaxxers but no-one should be arrested for refusing a vaccine. If healthcare is free then deny them that

Edited by Chicago

They may aswell open everything back up here in the UK. You can't keep restrictions in place then allow thousands of the countries richest and most vulnerable to all crowd around posing for pictures at the Royal Ascot and expect everyone else to follow the rules

Third wave ripping through South Africa and its not the Indian variant, its the South African variant.

It doesn't mean its more transmissible, it just means its the variant that's prevalent.

I'm very much doubting now that any variant is more transmissible than any other.

UK covid situation is indeed worrying, with nearly two third population have at least partial protection, the surge momentum is as strong as few previous waves.

Luckily there are some notable signs that vaccine is at least tackling morbidity. UK now register 14000 cases 7 days average and the corresponding hospital admission is about 230. Last time when UK had 14000 new cases daily average in mid-Feb, the average daily hospital admission was nearly 1700, that is 80%+ reduction      

• Like 1
On 6/25/2021 at 10:52 PM, AndyK said:

Third wave ripping through South Africa and its not the Indian variant, its the South African variant.

It doesn't mean its more transmissible, it just means its the variant that's prevalent.

I'm very much doubting now that any variant is more transmissible than any other.

I thought they measured the strains transimisibility through science rather than case figures? 

14 hours ago, Chicago said:

I thought they measured the strains transimisibility through science rather than case figures? 

That's the problem I have with using case stats to predict this sort of thing.

It could be that the variant is more transmissible, but you can't deduce it from case statistics.

You have to prove it at the micro cellular level through proper science.

6 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

The UK is serving as the worlds test now. If morbidity stays down, we can start looking to the true finish line. 

Scotland specifically is the part of the UK with the worse stats....

26 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Scotland specifically is the part of the UK with the worse stats....

What about Wales? I had some distant family come in from their a couple of weeks ago and they want to extend their stay until it dies down