DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

I haven't been paying close attention recently, but the rising number of cases in the UK looks really worrying. Has the number of hospitalizations stayed down?

30 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

I haven't been paying close attention recently, but the rising number of cases in the UK looks really worrying. Has the number of hospitalizations stayed down?

It's basically the exact same as it was before the variant. Vaccines are extremely effective in protecting people from hospitalization and death.

Posted (edited)

A doctor I know just caught it, despite being vaccinated (ironically, he got it while on vacation in Michigan). He had a nasty case for like 4-5 days: 104 degree fever, he had trouble difficulty breathing at times. He’s recovered, but now he’s worried about Long Covid issues. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
Posted (edited)

If he was sick for 5 days he probably won't have long covid.

I had side effects from a horrific flu but I was sick for nearly 90 days.

Edited by cdsacken
42 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

If he was sick for 5 days he probably won't have long covid.

I had side effects from a horrific flu but I was sick for nearly 90 days.

He’s the doc, not me, so I assume he has some reason or other to be concerned. But sure, hopefully that’s not the case. 

• Like 2

If England reach the finals, Boris should end pub restrictions for one day. Booking a seat for the pub is impossible at the moment. We had a 3 day easing of rules over Christmas and this is a far bigger deal than Christmas. It would be such a waste if England won the euros yet we couldn't truly celebrate. Boris needs to be one of the people and do this

• Not Cool 1
17 hours ago, elcaballero said:

Running at 90% fewer deaths than at the same point in the second wave...

Benefits of running a strictly age ordered vaccination program.

Downside, the ones most likely to catch and spread the virus get done last.

So lots of cases, few deaths.

We can live with that.

E5SUFQiXEAIFmPs?format=png&name=900x900

• Not Cool 1
17 hours ago, elcaballero said:

We are just more reliabile with our figures than everyone else. Unless you believe France, who are having a similar number of daily deaths to us truly only have 2500 new cases (10% of ours)

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, AndyK said:

Covid19 now in line with flu in the UK.

When everyone gets their Vax it becomes a cold.

You wouln't have been able to say that a year ago without people jumping down your throat

• Not Cool 1

2 days before England play in the finals and my mate tests positive for Covid. He's been waiting his whole life for an event like this and now bad luck strikes, he is absolutely gutted he cant watch it with anyone.

On 7/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, Chicago said:

You wouln't have been able to say that a year ago without people jumping down your throat

Uh, experts were saying that this would happen right from the get go. It's the nature of such an illness.  Many of the most vulnerable are already dead, with plenty of the rest either being vaccinated or having survived the illness and thus being either immune or at least having defenses that makes a heavy outbreak extremely unlike. The exact same thing happened with the Spanish flu. Absolutely no one jumped down anyone's throat for such a comment...

Basically, you take the outcome caused by a gigantic effort to protect the people, and then ignore that entire effort so you can act as if we reached this stage because the illness really wasn't that bad. It is the way it is right now, because of the means taken. It wouldn't be anyway like this if those means hadn't been taken.

The only comments where people reacted in such a way, were the ones were people lied by saying that Covid was just like the flu in its effects. It clearly was not.

As for hospitalisations in Britain, they are indeed on the rise again, though at this point not nearly as sharply as in the first wave, as the vaccines seem to help quite a bit. The numbers are obviously far below the peaks at this point. The low-point came in mid/late May with 850-900 patients in hospital. Since then it has risen again and now stands at 2500+. Over the last week for which data is available, from 30th of June to 6th of July, the increase in hospitalizations was about 640, going from ~1800 to a~2450. In comparison, from 24th of September to 1st of October, which came from a similar starting point of ~1850, there wa a rise of ~745. So slightly smaller though still significant. Only that this time around there are less vulnerable people, and circumstances aren't as inviting to the illness as during autumn or winter. It should be manageable if dealt with properly. Though with Boris Johnson in charge you never know...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, George Parr said:

Basically, you take the outcome caused by a gigantic effort to protect the people, and then ignore that entire effort so you can act as if we reached this stage because the illness really wasn't that bad. It is the way it is right now, because of the means taken. It wouldn't be anyway like this if those means hadn't been taken.

Come on, that's quite a reach. I'm talking in general, not this site. You couldn't use the world flu within 7 words of the the word covid-19 without serious criminal charges regardless of the subject, sometimes punishable by death.

Hopsital's believe they are in a position to handle and coming wave, or so they said on the news. They have even shortened the gap between 1st & 2nd doses, had mine due in mid August but managed to book in for July 22nd now so i think (hope) this next month or 2 will be the worst of it for the foreseeable future as when Winter next comes around, we will all be fully jabbed.

BJ and his advisors have made some wrong decisions during this pandemic, mainly at the beginning but I can't fault them too much for how things have been done this year. There's not many major countries that are without flaws in the pandemic. The hard part is done now, i believe England have a higher chance of cocking up on Sunday than BJ has of cocking this up now. Though with England's track record, take that as you will.

2 days before the Euro finals and My NHS-Covid app tells me Ive been in contact with someone and need to isolate for 8 days. Ive taken a test which is negatice but apparently have to wait 4 days meaning. Only place I can thing where I could have been close to someone for 15 minutes is the gym or the supermarket. 

Double jabbed Britons however will not need to self isolate if in contact. This was the sort of thing I feared would happen with Covid Passports. It's simply not fair on those too young to have the luxury of a double jab missing a once in a lifetime opportunity for our Country. It looks like the country will be partying for the finals whilst I celebrate it with my fucking cats. 

Take-up rate in USA is painfully and stubbornly low. France , germany, spain, all with far lower population and similar coverage level as USA, somehow still manage to administer more shot than USA.

Why there is no "penalty" to on-purpose unvaccinated group, like limited access to medical or unemployment benefit?

Normally when you plot exponentially growth on a log scale you get a straight line.

When you plot the Netherlands growth on a log scale, it still looks like it needs to be plotted on a log scale.