DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

2 hours ago, Chicago said:

Well we have 4200 hospitalizations with a population 5x smaller so if the USA's is unacceptable then what is ours?

In Denmark its around 50 on average. 
Population 1/11 of UK and 1/55 of US

So thats 550 UK and 2750 US compared

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Delta is turning...

It's probably a good time to sell..

One a serious note I wouldn't be surprised if the Euros fueled the spike

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, AndyK said:

How long from the first dose? 

8 weeks should be the minimum, the Israeli studies show Pfizer is only 40% effective against Delta to prevent symptomatic disease with 4 week interval.

The real world data suggest opposite. UK outbreak lately is so much worse than in Israel in number of new cases, admission and death. And I don't see Israel impose any stricter rules than UK before 19Jul

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

The real world data suggest opposite. UK outbreak lately is so much worse than in Israel in number of new cases, admission and death. And I don't see Israel impose any stricter rules than UK before 19Jul

It's against symptomatic Covid.

Edited by AndyK
2 hours ago, AndyK said:

It's against symptomatic Covid.

But, it was probably better to get everyone to the "no death, low hospitalization" rate the fastest (ala Israel - see how no one is dying) vs getting folks all the way to the "no sniffle" rate by putting in a wait that kept them susceptible to the harsher scenarios while they waited, especially for "rich" countries that can do a booster...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But, it was probably better to get everyone to the "no death, low hospitalization" rate the fastest (ala Israel - see how no one is dying) vs getting folks all the way to the "no sniffle" rate by putting in a wait that kept them susceptible to the harsher scenarios while they waited, especially for "rich" countries that can do a booster...

I guess at the time, delta didn't didn't exist so getting optimum efficacy wasn't so much of an issue.

It's not a huge problem, because it's still effective against severe disease.

The problem was, in the race to be first to market, Pfizer didn't test the variables, like dosing intervals. Astrazeneca did, which is where the 12 weeks came from originally in the UK.

• Like 1

800k+ vaccination yesterday in USA. The highest in 3 weeks. This is very likely due to resurgence and shift in tone among GOP. USA was in its bottom of the curve throughout June , this should be the golden window to have more vaccination buffer in time for 2nd dose and subsequent window for reaching full level of protection. Instead, false sense of security took over, leading people to believe they can get away with it without being vaccinated or move on easily from this whole crisis.      

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

800k+ vaccination yesterday in USA. The highest in 3 weeks. This is very likely due to resurgence and shift in tone among GOP. USA was in its bottom of the curve throughout June , this should be the golden window to have more vaccination buffer in time for 2nd dose and subsequent window for reaching full level of protection. Instead, false sense of security took over, leading people to believe they can get away with it without being vaccinated or move on easily from this whole crisis.      

Great news. Lets hope it continues for a long time. Or else you will see a big surge again soon

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

Great news. Lets hope it continues for a long time. Or else you will see a big surge again soon

Probably too late to stop the surge.

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Colleges also got the go ahead (in a recently resolved court case) to require the vax for all onsite students (and employees)...I know in my area, the newly vaxed are focused on the 18-22s...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Probably too late to stop the surge.

It never to late. Every vaccine counts

28 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Colleges also got the go ahead (in a recently resolved court case) to require the vax for all onsite students (and employees)...I know in my area, the newly vaxed are focused on the 18-22s...

Nationwide?

8 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Nationwide?

No, but one federal judge tends to set the tone and give other places the go ahead...hospitals started mandating after the judge in Texas ruling in June...and colleges changed on a dime after this federal judge's ruling (I know my daughter's did - it was "sorta mandated", and now it's REALLY mandated)...

36 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, but one federal judge tends to set the tone and give other places the go ahead...hospitals started mandating after the judge in Texas ruling in June...and colleges changed on a dime after this federal judge's ruling (I know my daughter's did - it was "sorta mandated", and now it's REALLY mandated)...

should make a huge difference i hope.

But a few experts here says that 80% full vaccination is not enough for herd immunity and we have to learn to live with it… Gezzz

Despite huge criticism from the WHO and others abroad, the plan in the UK was to fully open up and let the remaining virus burn itself out over summer to prevent another winter lockdown.

It was widely thought cases would reach >100K per day and yet it suddenly turned around and started falling and no one knows why.

Some think the surge was related to the EUROs football, but the surge is also happening in other countries who didn't get so far in the tournament.

The grand experiment continues....

Edited by AndyK
37 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Despite huge criticism from the WHO and others abroad, the plan in the UK was to fully open up and let the remaining virus burn itself out over summer to prevent another winter lockdown.

It was widely thought cases would reach >100K per day and yet it suddenly turned around and started falling and no one knows why.

Some think the surge was related to the EUROs football, but the surge is also happening in other countries who didn't get so far in the tournament.

The grand experiment continues....

Why was there criticism?