DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

6 hours ago, AndyK said:

Despite huge criticism from the WHO and others abroad, the plan in the UK was to fully open up and let the remaining virus burn itself out over summer to prevent another winter lockdown.

It was widely thought cases would reach >100K per day and yet it suddenly turned around and started falling and no one knows why.

Some think the surge was related to the EUROs football, but the surge is also happening in other countries who didn't get so far in the tournament.

The grand experiment continues....

Your first point kinda is an exaggeration, the WHO has been doing a lot of criticism for the last year and a half while not really doing a good job themselves and the Uk criticisms wasn't stronger than prior ones, I'd actually say the criticism end of last year was harsher.

And letting it run has it disadvantages, mainly a lot of infect people mean a lot of potential for further mutations (at least from a purely mathematical point of view). 

Extrapolations never really are able to point out a max number of daily infections (which is part of what fuels people saying everyone exaggerates this pandemic)

Without a lot more data like mobility, where do people meet (inside or outside) etc. I don't think we can determine what caused the wave to break. Football might have had an effect in other countries to, considering every country has different rules regarding public viewing, pubs and the likes, though I think general stuff like people complying with rules less made the dropping of the rules have little impact, its not like people went from nothing to big parties. And pandemics have always happened in waves that mostly broke way before anything like herd immunity was reached (which if at all happened after multiple waves).

But, this won't work as "well" in Germany, because old people are less likely to be vaccinated here (like above 95 % or so in the UK and around 85 % or so in Germany) that are (at least) 3 times the people that can get sick (and add the older population Germany in) and this will look noticeably worse in Germany.

Edited by Taruseth
1 hour ago, Taruseth said:

Your first point kinda is an exaggeration, the WHO has been doing a lot of criticism for the last year and a half while not really doing a good job themselves and the Uk criticisms wasn't stronger than prior ones, I'd actually say the criticism end of last year was harsher.

And letting it run has it disadvantages, mainly a lot of infect people mean a lot of potential for further mutations (at least from a purely mathematical point of view). 

Extrapolations never really are able to point out a max number of daily infections (which is part of what fuels people saying everyone exaggerates this pandemic)

Without a lot more data like mobility, where do people meet (inside or outside) etc. I don't think we can determine what caused the wave to break. Football might have had an effect in other countries to, considering every country has different rules regarding public viewing, pubs and the likes, though I think general stuff like people complying with rules less made the dropping of the rules have little impact, its not like people went from nothing to big parties. And pandemics have always happened in waves that mostly broke way before anything like herd immunity was reached (which if at all happened after multiple waves).

But, this won't work as "well" in Germany, because old people are less likely to be vaccinated here (like above 95 % or so in the UK and around 85 % or so in Germany) that are (at least) 3 times the people that can get sick (and add the older population Germany in) and this will look noticeably worse in Germany.

I think the criticism was not unwarranted, but there is another 36% drop today, so either Boris is extremely lucky or he's fiddling the numbers because this is baffling.

21 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, but one federal judge tends to set the tone and give other places the go ahead...hospitals started mandating after the judge in Texas ruling in June...and colleges changed on a dime after this federal judge's ruling (I know my daughter's did - it was "sorta mandated", and now it's REALLY mandated)...

Mandates are starting to roll in now.

In Cali:

California to Require Proof of Vaccination

By  44 Comments

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) said that state and healthcare employees will soon be required to show proof they’ve been vaccinated against COVID-19 — with those who remain uninoculated subject to a regular testing regimen, the Los Angeles Times reports.

bolded the bit as it is an important thing to note.  I suppose it might be classified under "sorta mandated" as you put it.

Then there is the V.A:

V.A. Issues Vaccine Mandate for All Employees

By  26 Comments

“The Department of Veterans Affairs will require 115,000 of its frontline health care workers to be vaccinated against the coronavirus in the next two months, making it the first federal agency to mandate that employees be inoculated,” the New York Times reports.

summary didn't say what the impled "or else" would be, but going to the source article:

Beginning on Wednesday, those health care workers will have eight weeks to get fully vaccinated or face penalties including possible removal, he said.

These are just the start I would think.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, Taruseth said:

The 'mutation' concern I thought was being taken out of hand. Didnt the vaccine company announce that any mutation that changes enough to make the vaccines useless would likely make the virus useless itself?

We can't be afraid of mutations as that would mean we would need to cut down on cases. The idea of the vaccine was never to cut down on cases but to allows us to live with them.

• Like 1

7th day in a row with declining cases, 50% down on same day last week.

Positivity rates also falling.

The UK has also been doing more daily tests than whole of the rest of Europe combined.

• Like 1

Is everyone freaking out about Delta still or has everyone noticed that it has already peaked and is on the way down in the UK and soon enough will be in the United States and it didn't cause hardly a blip on the stats that matter?

Get vaccinated and get on with life as soon as you can everyone.  

• Like 1

How many daily vax in the US these days? Still going up?

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

How many daily vax in the US these days? Still going up?

7 days average still at 500k range and normally trending lower during weekdays but soared higher during weekend. With delta ravishing, ideally USA should have at least 1.5-2m doses administered per day for at least 3weeks to race ahead delta, now it isn't even half way there. 

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Is everyone freaking out about Delta still or has everyone noticed that it has already peaked and is on the way down in the UK and soon enough will be in the United States and it didn't cause hardly a blip on the stats that matter?

Get vaccinated and get on with life as soon as you can everyone.  

92% of UK population have Covid19 antibodies. 

Not wise to cut loose without high protection levels.

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

7 days average still at 500k range and normally trending lower during weekdays but soared higher during weekend. With delta ravishing, ideally USA should have at least 1.5-2m doses administered per day for at least 3weeks to race ahead delta, now it isn't even half way there. 

i don`t understand all this anti vaxx bullcrap. I tried listen to reason and i have talked to a few of them trying to explain. All this “freedom” and “i dont want this poisen into my body” just plays into a very selfish and ignorant behaviour in my head.

No “for the greater good” or like that. Its me me me me me.

I have lost all empathy for people dying or getting sick if they had their chance. All people getting sick or dying here are unvaccinated or have only 1 jab. Full vaxx is 99,99 from anything serious

• Like 2

Really nice thread, and I'd encourage people to read it.

=====

As for my own commentary?  Well it's sad that it took a resurgence in COVID to get some people 'scared straight', but at the same time I am reminded of the old saying about how the gallows have a way of contracting the mind.

For some folks I could see how they could see dropping cases happening everywhere just figuring "Hey, pandemic's over; I don't need to get a shot after all."  But with a resurgence in some areas, well... Just glad that vaccinations are in fact on the rise, even though it shouldn't have taken another rise in cases to cause it to happen.

• Like 1
On 7/27/2021 at 9:39 PM, fmpro said:

i don`t understand all this anti vaxx bullcrap. I tried listen to reason and i have talked to a few of them trying to explain. All this “freedom” and “i dont want this poisen into my body” just plays into a very selfish and ignorant behaviour in my head.

No “for the greater good” or like that. Its me me me me me.

I have lost all empathy for people dying or getting sick if they had their chance. All people getting sick or dying here are unvaccinated or have only 1 jab. Full vaxx is 99,99 from anything serious

I had to embarrass an old achool friend of mine. He'd put a huge rant on facebook on how people shouldn't blindingly take a vaccine because the goverment says it's safe but should infact do their own research. This annoys me as this kid was a C student, looking to youtube for the real answers is not my idea of research, listening to a bunch of scientists who studied their whole life to make these vaccines probably has more merit than any of us with all the research laid out infront of our dumb eyes

The worse thing was, I once told him to stick a tampon soaked in alchohol up his ass to get him drunk 'quicker'. That he obliged to with zero research, the vaccine however has made him skeptical  

Edited by Chicago
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
21 hours ago, Porthos said:

Really nice thread, and I'd encourage people to read it.

=====

As for my own commentary?  Well it's sad that it took a resurgence in COVID to get some people 'scared straight', but at the same time I am reminded of the old saying about how the gallows have a way of contracting the mind.

For some folks I could see how they could see dropping cases happening everywhere just figuring "Hey, pandemic's over; I don't need to get a shot after all."  But with a resurgence in some areas, well... Just glad that vaccinations are in fact on the rise, even though it shouldn't have taken another rise in cases to cause it to happen.

You just hope that another variant doesn't arise from all this hesitation. 

We've had ones in the UK, South Africa, Brazil and India, who's to say another isn't coming? And it might be worse if the virus is trying to battle its way past vaxxed people. 

Rich countries have the ability to reduce the risk of this by just getting vaxxed to begin with and cutting off circulation. 

If China is still taking blame for the pandemic, then the country that allows a variant to evolve by hesitation should be blamed for any resurgence or setbacks.

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

France doing incredibly well :shades: 

RightBigBluetickcoonhound-size_restricte

This is great, BoJo is trying to do the same thing.

It's good that the UK Prime Minister doesn't have executive powers because we cant have a Trump situation but on the other hand it looks like vaccine mandates wont get through parliament because the Labour party are teaming up with the ant-vaxxers in the conservatives to vote against it.

6 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

France doing incredibly well :shades: 

RightBigBluetickcoonhound-size_restricte

France:

59.5 single jab

45.5% fully jabbed

USA

57.5 single jab

49.7% double jabbed 

UK 

70.1%  single Jab

56.2%  double jab

Don't know where they are getting their figures from but they have a long way to go to catch the UK up. The only time the French managed to overtake the UK was when they were running from the Germans 

Also USA has a higher amount of the population fully jabbed. I think they miss the point anyways, we had to rush to get the vulnerable vaccinated as they were at serious risk, Macron failed at that. It's good they are speeding up the process but rushing to get young people jabbed when they really aren't a priority is nothing to celebrate over. Then declaring they are winning the vaccine race is kind of embarrassing. They needed to be speedy at the start of the year when Macron was calling the vaccines "quasi ineffective"

Edited by Chicago
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

This is great, BoJo is trying to do the same thing.

It's good that the UK Prime Minister doesn't have executive powers because we cant have a Trump situation but on the other hand it looks like vaccine mandates wont get through parliament because the Labour party are teaming up with the ant-vaxxers in the conservatives to vote against it.

Its because labour want to protect their young voters and only young people are stupud enough to argue against vaccine mandates. Voting age should be increased