Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:


hahaha wow this is a bad take. The best Governor by far in the US has been DeSantis, he has kept the state free and not fallen for this absolute propaganda and authoritarian tendencies of the miserable blue states that have destroyed their economies over absolutely nothing. The way DeSantis has handled things makes him a front runner for president should Trump choose not to run. He would steamroll everything, I doubt he would lose more than 5-7 states total, the leftist West, NY, and like Vermont or something. Most people are sick and tired of the nonsense and absolute lies perpetuated by these anti-science clowns in charge. 


Usually I put more effort into my rebuttals, so I apologize to everyone else
 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

destroyed their economies over absolutely nothing.

their economies haven't been destroyed and this virus is not nothing. What planet are you on now?

 

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

The way DeSantis has handled things makes him a front runner for president should Trump choose not to run.

makes sense, Republicans like pieces of shit like Desantis.

 

2 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

I doubt he would lose more than 5-7 states total, the leftist West, NY, and like Vermont or something. Most people are sick and tired of the nonsense and absolute lies perpetuated by these anti-science clowns in charge. 

:rotfl:

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JonathanLB said:


hahaha wow this is a bad take. The best Governor by far in the US has been DeSantis, he has kept the state free and not fallen for this absolute propaganda and authoritarian tendencies of the miserable blue states that have destroyed their economies over absolutely nothing. The way DeSantis has handled things makes him a front runner for president should Trump choose not to run. He would steamroll everything, I doubt he would lose more than 5-7 states total, the leftist West, NY, and like Vermont or something. Most people are sick and tired of the nonsense and absolute lies perpetuated by these anti-science clowns in charge. 

 

This is a bad take right now, but we'll see how things proceed from here. Months are ages in politics.

 

In the most recent poll in FL, taken Aug 2-3, DeSantis' approval rating from Floridians has dropped from 55% approving of him to just 43.7 approving of him (with 48.3% disapproving of him). Given conditions have only worsened since then it will be interesting to see where he stands when the next poll is taken. He currently also loses the Governor's race in that poll to Charlie Christ (though he does defeat Nikki Fried). That poll also had 62% of Floridians in favor of 'all children wearing masks' when schools reopen against 32% who say no to that.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The National Institutes of Health Director was on Fox News Sunday this morning. His comment regarding the current COVID surge was

"This is going steeply upward with no signs of having peaked out"

 

Cases have risen 700% since the beginning of July and could end up over 200,000 a day.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

miserable blue states that have destroyed their economies over absolutely nothing

 

It is always and obviously subjective what is a big deal or not (let alone if slowing the economy does help and by how much), but  over absolutely nothing ?

 

If you go look here:

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html

 

From week 12 (week of march 21, 2020 ) of the 2019-2020 flu season To week 28 of the 2020-2021 flu season (week of july 9 2021), beginning of the pandemic being visible in national death to the latest week with complete stats.

 

That 70 weeks.

4,520,748 Americans die during that time frame in the previous similar 70 weeks in the past.

 

The 70 weeks between 2016-2017 week 12 to 2017-2018 week 29: 3,777,564

The 70 weeks between 2017-2018 week 12 to 2018-2019 week 29: 3,768,577

 

During the pandemic the same 70 weeks: 4,520,748 American died

 

That was quite consistent in recent year's, now a sudden jumps above the average of around 750K, while in country with very low Covid the death have been lower than usual (very little to no flu excess death and some other less than usual activity linked death added).

 

Now, one can argue that a giant over reaction to so little, but those 650K-800K excess death figure, all the added morbidity still lingering of those who had harsh case (brain, pulmonary, circulatory, lost of tastes) that is not uncommon  start to be out of the absolutely nothing category.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Brainbug said:

 

4 Million deaths would mean that the 400k + official number is a laughably low estimate.

 

Like in many other case by how much is the question really (India deaths numbers are not updated since 2019):

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57888460

Taken together, the researchers found that excess deaths were estimated to be in the range of 3.4 million to 4.7 million - about 10 times higher than India's official Covid-19 death toll.

 

Some others has it around 3.1 to 3.4m from june 2020 to june 2021 (so maybe going closer to 4 millions by mid august):

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.20.21260872v1

 

Which in the context of a 1.39 billion plus country, by pro rata of the population size, 3.4 millions would be like 800k americans, but India has more than 65% of it's population under 35 and only 5% elderly vs 13% in the US

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Likely because of UK has stricter measures leading up to the latest surge while Israel & USA were completely opened then. Also, it maybe longer interval between 1st and 2nd that help to curb hospitalized case in UK.

UK is completely open since July 19th.

 

Interesting that the vast majority of the elderly and vulnerable in the UK have been vaccinated with AZ, USA and Israel have been using Pfizer, then there is the longer dosing interval in the UK.

 

UK vaccine strategy seems to have better real world efficacy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Chicago said:

If I ever read a negative news article from AmerWeica, it's usually something to do with Florida 😂

Well, with the mayor of Amity in "Jaws" in charge......

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RamblinRed said:

 

This is a bad take right now, but we'll see how things proceed from here. Months are ages in politics.

 

In the most recent poll in FL, taken Aug 2-3, DeSantis' approval rating from Floridians has dropped from 55% approving of him to just 43.7 approving of him (with 48.3% disapproving of him). Given conditions have only worsened since then it will be interesting to see where he stands when the next poll is taken. He currently also loses the Governor's race in that poll to Charlie Christ (though he does defeat Nikki Fried). That poll also had 62% of Floridians in favor of 'all children wearing masks' when schools reopen against 32% who say no to that.

 

 

 

 

I stopped expecting common sense, logic and understanding reality from the Trump crowd a long time ago.......

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Probably a snap lockdown here in Auckland, will know more in about 2 hours but no links to MIQ or border (so far) means the case is likely unknown in origin.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jamiem said:

 

Probably a snap lockdown here in Auckland, will know more in about 2 hours but no links to MIQ or border (so far) means the case is likely unknown in origin.

Join Us GIF by memecandy

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Polling from IPSOS today suggests that Governor's like DeSantis an Abbott are stepping out on a linb that may not be very strong.

 

64% of Americans support local or state governments mandating masks. This includes 88% of Democrats and 40% of Republicans.

 

There is even more support for masking in schools where 69% support their local school districts requiring masks - this includes 92% of D's and 44% of R's.

 

55% support employers mandating vaccinations - 78% of D's and 31% of R's.

 

33% support state laws prohibiting mask mandates - 16% D's, 57% of R's

 

22% support states withholding funds from schools requiring masks - 15% D's and 30% of R's.

 

There is also little change in behavior. Overall more people are wearing masks, people going out to eat has dropped 5% in the last month and 10% in the last 2 months.

 

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/news-polls/axios-ipsos-coronavirus-index

 

Even among non-college educated whites the support for some of the measures is not as strong as you would expect with on 42% of them supporting state laws prohibiting mask mandates and 25% supporting cutting of school funding.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.