DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

NPR article on COVID and Israel and what we are learning based on their experience. Looks like in israel they are seeing sort of a bi-modal distribution. The breakthrough cases that end up in the hospital are people over 60, with co-morbidities, whose 2nd shot was 5 or more months ago. The unvaccinated its younger, healthy people.

Also, the third shot greatly increases protection

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/08/20/1029628471/highly-vaccinated-israel-is-seeing-a-dramatic-surge-in-new-covid-cases-heres-why

The bad news, doctors say, is that half of Israel's seriously ill patients who are currently hospitalized were fully vaccinated at least five months ago. Most of them are over 60 years old and have comorbidities. The seriously ill patients who are unvaccinated are mostly young, healthy people whose condition deteriorated quickly.

Israel is the first country to offer a third shot of the Pfizer vaccine in a nationwide booster campaign. Preliminary research in Israel suggests booster shots significantly increase protection against the coronavirus a week after a person receives the third dose.

Israeli national HMO Maccabi Healthcare Services, which conducted the preliminary study of 149,144 Israelis who received three Pfizer shots, said for Israelis above age 60, a Pfizer booster shot reduced the chances of infection by 86% and reduced the chances of severe infection by 92%.

Edited by RamblinRed
33 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am not sure why hasn't any vaccine maker produce a more "updated" vaccine to tackle delta. All the booster shot are still the same version of vaccine, which I doubt they can erase the problem by just giving booster shot. 

Moderna made 3 of those one of those I think, they are in the trial phase, it is because they still need to go into a short for vaccine but months of process.

There a long list of novel booster candidate being tested right now:

https://fortune.com/2021/08/09/covid-vaccines-delta-variant-vaccine-biontech-pfizer/

The clinical trial, whose results are anticipated in the fourth quarter, will also examine whether a combination of jabs that includes an inoculation against Delta and the original “wild type” first discovered in Wuhan proves effective.

And I imagine the alpha variant version are in the way.

If they are very similar to the previous one, should it be accelerated much more and should we not already all have that one... I do not know enough about anything to say.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

It probably explains why breakthrough infections feel much more prevalent in the US compared to other countries' Delta surges like the UK since over 55% of Americans got Pfizer.

Nearly all Canadians got Pfizer/Moderna at well. I'm pretty sure the surge in the US in a combination of the lower vaccination rate, and a much larger portion of the population that is anti-mask.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

It's already ending.  Hang in there and should pretty much be burned out in the next few months.  

Ive heard that sentiment since Summer 2020. New variants and peoples stupidity plus seasonal factors have denied that until now. With Winter coming up we will see another rise in infections and deaths i strongly believe. I think you would be right if a big majority of the yet unvaccinated people would actually get vaccinated in the next 1 to 2 months but i dont see it, especially not in the US. Theres too many people who for whatever reason dont want to get vaccinated.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Jason said:

Nearly all Canadians got Pfizer/Moderna at well. I'm pretty sure the surge in the US in a combination of the lower vaccination rate, and a much larger portion of the population that is anti-mask.

Also, UK has Pfizer/ AZ in the mix too, if AZ is as effective as Moderna, the UK situation will be more or less the same in USA but in reality, they aren't the same.     

1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

That a bit phrased in a way that make it impossible to understand to me:

The good news is that among Israel's serious infections on Thursday of this week, according to Health Ministry data, there were nine times more serious cases among unvaccinated people over age 60 (178.7 per 100,000) than among fully vaccinated people of the same age category, and a little more than double the number of serious infections among unvaccinated people in the under-60 crowd (3.2 per 100,000) than among the vaccinated in that age bracket.

But if that mean that among the double vaccinated population over 60 you only have 20 serious case per 100,000 person (0.02%) and that less than 0.66% of the population has Covid (Nearly one in every 150 people in Israel today has the virus.) during what is now perceived to be a wave of it

Could you not use the same numbers to say how much it work despite Israel relative low vaccination rate (fully vaccinated look good because of how mature the campaign is by now, but 61% of the population with at least one dose is not specially high nor 78% for the eligible population. It would require a shift from getting covid at all versus a serious case mentality.

Not sure I would call anything under 90% first dose, 80% fully vaccinated highly vaccinated. UEA is on their way, Malta, Gilbraltar are already there in highly vaccinated "country", no major country have achieved it yet.

Edited by Barnack
1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

It probably explains why breakthrough infections feel much more prevalent in the US compared to other countries' Delta surges like the UK since over 55% of Americans got Pfizer.

Canada:

Pfizer-BioNTech 34.27% (13,024,561) 4.06% (1,542,467) 30.21% (11,482,094)
Moderna 10.21% (3,879,689) 1.76% (670,724) 8.44% (3,208,965)
COVISHIELD 0.04% (14,026) 0.02% (8,808) 0.01% (5,218)
AstraZeneca 0.66% (250,533) 0.10% (36,157) 0.56% (214,376)
Janssen 0% (1,805) n/a (n/a) 0% (1,805)
Combination 9.99% (3,797,799) n/a (n/a) 9.99% (3,797,799)
Vaccine not reported 16.69% (6,344,166) 2.08% (790,524) 14.61% (5,553,642)
Vaccine unknown 0.09% (32,634) 0.07% (27,735) 0.01% (4,899)

Canada is 75% Pfizer I think among reported:

34.27/(34.27+10.21+0.04+0.66)

Vaccination rate and American being fully vaccinated months before Canadians would be the main 2 I would imagine.

And other aspect is mediatic coverage, according to the CDC:

As of July 19, the CDC had received reports of 5,914 COVID-19-related hospitalizations and deaths out of more than 161 million fully vaccinated people in the United States.

In California, the 1,615 hospitalizations of people with breakthrough infections as of Aug. 8 represents just 0.007% of nearly 22 million fully immunized residents

Is it really lower in Canada ? Ontario for example:

https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/media/documents/ncov/epi/covid-19-epi-confirmed-cases-post-vaccination.pdf?la=en

It is maybe really similar, just different coverage.

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Ive heard that sentiment since Summer 2020. New variants and peoples stupidity plus seasonal factors have denied that until now. With Winter coming up we will see another rise in infections and deaths i strongly believe. I think you would be right if a big majority of the yet unvaccinated people would actually get vaccinated in the next 1 to 2 months but i dont see it, especially not in the US. Theres too many people who for whatever reason dont want to get vaccinated.

And then will folks be uber-susceptible to flu and we'll have one of those awful seasons...it was my worry last year, but we stayed shut down with no vax, so we had almost no flu...

Now, we're wide open going in to this winter...and we have a better handle on Covid, but not a great one...plus lots of under 2s with zero exposure to flu and rsv...

I want a "good winter" before I ever say this is behind us...it seemed like Covid's been behind us at least 2x now...and then it wasn't...

You may or may not be able to read this but it is an article in the Atlanta newspaper talking about the shortages of nurses state wide, and even nationally. Unfortunately they are overworked, stressed out, burned out, and underappreciated.

https://www.ajc.com/news/coronavirus/georgia-nursing-shortage-at-crisis-levels/G37X6GW2HRDEXGWB6OS6OBA5KE/

As of this week, 11,000 nursing positions across the state sit vacant, according to the nursing job service Vivian. More than 1,700 of those are in intensive care units.

A recent survey by Vivian found 43% of nurses nationwide are considering leaving health care.

As cases soar, hospitals and staff once again describe treating patients in meeting rooms, hallways and any available space. Yet they are having to scale back services for lack of staff.

In the midst of it all, something has changed: a tired public, younger victims, shattered hopes that the pandemic was ending. The applause of spring 2020 has faded. Patients and their families can get angry, sometimes citing misinformation about the virus, or barking when asked if they’re vaccinated.

The only no- or low-cost way to stop turnover is to treat nurses with more kindness and respect, an Emory researcher said. But people’s tempers are short.

it’s all very personal for Mullis. “Nursing really used to bring me a lot of joy,” she said. In the pandemic, many nurses “have developed anxiety—depression, nightmares, whatever it is. A lot of people are struggling with just the day to day of: Is this truly what they want to do anymore?

“I can’t blame the people who have left, and I can’t even say that I haven’t considered leaving many times lately,” Mullis said. “We’re giving all we have to these people, and sometimes they’re just not making it. Lately it’s been 20- and 30-year-olds, not just the elderly people...it’s just been so much, back to back to back.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

This is some good news, though. Finally. 

That would be excellent news.

One thing I have wondered about and it probably won't happen this year since so many schools have already gone back, but I wonder if any school districts will mandate the COVID vaccine as one you have to get (along with many others) in order to attend school. Especially at the HS level.

• Like 1

I would be cautious with all those studies. Keep in mind, that the most vulnerable got Biontech shots all over the globe first, while Moderna always lagged behind in production.

This is also a big pharma-war and while they did a good job, what they really want is money. We've seen those studies favoring certain vaccines over the last year. As I said, we have to look very closely.

Same for 3rd shot-studies. They will, of course, do everything they can to sell a third dose when it proves safe, but there are also many voices out there saying it's only neccessary for the vulnarable groups as it stands now. 

Have some faith, people.  It's going to be done sooner than later.  This isn't going on forever.  

It didn't in 1920 and it won't in 2021.  The virus is burning itself out.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Have some faith, people.  It's going to be done sooner than later.  This isn't going on forever.  

It didn't in 1920 and it won't in 2021.  The virus is burning itself out.  

Cases and deaths have been gradually increasing for the last few months. News is coming out that the vaccines efficacy diminishes quicker than originally expected. It's not 'burning itself out' by any means. We are just learning to live with it that's all. 

In Denmark we are 75% first jabs and 68,5% full vaccinated of the total population. We still can`t hold the Delta down and cases are rising. Hospital admissions are up 150% over the last month and deaths are rising again.

I have a hard time seeing this will “burn out on its own” just because a Spanish Flu did that 100 years ago

8 hours ago, Chicago said:

Cases and deaths have been gradually increasing for the last few months. News is coming out that the vaccines efficacy diminishes quicker than originally expected. It's not 'burning itself out' by any means. We are just learning to live with it that's all. 

That is absolutely incorrect.  Look at the cases in Missouri and other states where Delta first emerged in the United States.  Look at Delta in India and the UK.  

It's absolutely burning itself out.  

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

That is absolutely incorrect.  Look at the cases in Missouri and other states where Delta first emerged in the United States.  Look at Delta in India and the UK.  

It's absolutely burning itself out.  

This is not really true.

Missouri is the only state in the US with an Ro below 1.04 and one of only 3 (Louisiana and Arkansas) with an Ro below 1.1. The US is continuing to see cases increase, though at a slower rate. 

UK has had rising case numbers for 3 straight weeks and is up 19% in the last 2 weeks and up 15% in deaths over the last 2 weeks. UK did have a dip for 2 weeks, from July 20-Aug 3, but it didn't stay sustained and has turned the other way.

There is alot of concern over what is going to happen as schools go back in session. 

• Like 1