Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Recommended Posts

Very worrying, in the UK also the first few weeks they were using Pfizer and the short spacing, this was the older age group too. I guess these people would benefit from a booster shot from a different vaccine like AZ.

 

Edited by AndyK
Link to post
Share on other sites

If true about Pfizer, what a scam they've pulled.

 

After all the hullabaloo about AstraZeneca, the one vaccine being produced/sold at cost (or thereabouts), Pfizer not only also has a small % of side effects that the media didn't bother to cover (whilst they bashed the FO out of AZ), now their vaccine also wanes the fastest and they want to charge more for booster shots. Maybe they should give them out free since they've already made a killing? Greedy fuckers.

 

I've always felt the AZ bashing was political in nature. Even though it's a Swedish company, since it was developed by Oxford, it felt like the EU bashing it was political (anti-UK) and America to boost Pfizer and Moderna (America First). The media just loves greedy capitalist companies over those that try to be altruistic. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case here, that's the feeling I've got since the incessant pile-on that was way out of proportion.

 

And then you had the sheep ScoMo in Australia bleating along and screwing up the vaccine rollout by tanking AZ as well.

 

The patents should have been lifted. It's still a fucking pandemic. But greed prevails once again.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for those who've already had coronavirus. Did you catch it a second time? i'm not clear if you can catch it again after already had it a few months ago. Nobody talks about natural immunity, only vaccines. Is it like the flu...get it every year?

Edited by Maggie
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BK007 said:

If true about Pfizer, what a scam they've pulled.

 

After all the hullabaloo about AstraZeneca, the one vaccine being produced/sold at cost (or thereabouts), Pfizer not only also has a small % of side effects that the media didn't bother to cover (whilst they bashed the FO out of AZ), now their vaccine also wanes the fastest and they want to charge more for booster shots. Maybe they should give them out free since they've already made a killing? Greedy fuckers.

 

I've always felt the AZ bashing was political in nature. Even though it's a Swedish company, since it was developed by Oxford, it felt like the EU bashing it was political (anti-UK) and America to boost Pfizer and Moderna (America First). The media just loves greedy capitalist companies over those that try to be altruistic. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case here, that's the feeling I've got since the incessant pile-on that was way out of proportion.

 

And then you had the sheep ScoMo in Australia bleating along and screwing up the vaccine rollout by tanking AZ as well.

 

The patents should have been lifted. It's still a fucking pandemic. But greed prevails once again.

 

 

Both vaccines types seem to have different but beneficial attributes, mRNA gets very high antibody levels very quickly, which is exactly what is needed in a pandemic peak, but also wanes quickly. The AZ seems to be a slow burner, protection builds up over time and lasts longer.

 

Seems to me, shots of both might give the best overall results.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AndyK said:

 

 

Both vaccines types seem to have different but beneficial attributes, mRNA gets very high antibody levels very quickly, which is exactly what is needed in a pandemic peak, but also wanes quickly. The AZ seems to be a slow burner, protection builds up over time and lasts longer.

 

Seems to me, shots of both might give the best overall results.

It's real, isn't it? 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BK007 said:

If true about Pfizer, what a scam they've pulled.

 

After all the hullabaloo about AstraZeneca, the one vaccine being produced/sold at cost (or thereabouts), Pfizer not only also has a small % of side effects that the media didn't bother to cover (whilst they bashed the FO out of AZ), now their vaccine also wanes the fastest and they want to charge more for booster shots. Maybe they should give them out free since they've already made a killing? Greedy fuckers.

 

I've always felt the AZ bashing was political in nature. Even though it's a Swedish company, since it was developed by Oxford, it felt like the EU bashing it was political (anti-UK) and America to boost Pfizer and Moderna (America First). The media just loves greedy capitalist companies over those that try to be altruistic. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case here, that's the feeling I've got since the incessant pile-on that was way out of proportion.

 

And then you had the sheep ScoMo in Australia bleating along and screwing up the vaccine rollout by tanking AZ as well.

 

The patents should have been lifted. It's still a fucking pandemic. But greed prevails once again.

 

We've literally been saying this about AZ all year. It's nice others are finally noticing 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maggie said:

Question for those who've already had coronavirus. Did you catch it a second time? i'm not clear if you can catch it again after already had it a few months ago. Nobody talks about natural immunity, only vaccines. Is it like the flu...get it every year?

 

That is what is being seen in the US this late summer - folks who got it last fall/early winter have been able to come down with it again (Lamar Jackson is a famous example of that)...not sure what the numbers are for "breakthroughs" for that, but it probably depends if your 1st experience was symptomatic or not, and if symptomatic, how much...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Natural immunity is definitely inferior. My wife has seen several people who caught it 3 times 100% were unvaccinated.

 

Sadly plenty of J&J vaccine people for the delta variant too. 

 

Kids camp just cancelled this week. One kid in my kids camp tested positive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AndyK said:

Both vaccines types seem to have different but beneficial attributes, mRNA gets very high antibody levels very quickly, which is exactly what is needed in a pandemic peak, but also wanes quickly. The AZ seems to be a slow burner, protection builds up over time and lasts longer.

 

Seems to me, shots of both might give the best overall results.


There's already been at least one study indicating that one shot of each produces better results.

There's a theoretical basis for the AZ vaccine performing better in the long-term, the fact that it contains an actual (non-infectious) virus means it results in a greater degree of T-cell activation, which is the group of immune cells that specifically responds to viruses, and can kill viruses even when they are inside cells (unlike antibodies, which are only effective against the virus when it leaves cells).

There's also a theoretical basis for mixed doses performing better as well, the since the AZ vaccine uses a viral vector, antibodies will also be produced against the vector - which means that the second dose may be targeted by that antibody instead, resulting in a weaker boost of the antibody against the COVID virus.

If the AZ vaccine had been made available to my age group in Canada I'd have taken it. If more studies confirm the advantage of mixed dosing, hopefully approval will be given when the time comes for boosters.

That said, the data in Canada at this time indicates that the Pfizer vaccine is holding its effectiveness against Delta. That may be because we received our second shots more recently, but it may also be because we used an 8-12 week dosing interval, which provides a significantly stronger boost than a 3-week interval.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jason said:


There's already been at least one study indicating that one shot of each produces better results.

There's a theoretical basis for the AZ vaccine performing better in the long-term, the fact that it contains an actual (non-infectious) virus means it results in a greater degree of T-cell activation, which is the group of immune cells that specifically responds to viruses, and can kill viruses even when they are inside cells (unlike antibodies, which are only effective against the virus when it leaves cells).

There's also a theoretical basis for mixed doses performing better as well, the since the AZ vaccine uses a viral vector, antibodies will also be produced against the vector - which means that the second dose may be targeted by that antibody instead, resulting in a weaker boost of the antibody against the COVID virus.

If the AZ vaccine had been made available to my age group in Canada I'd have taken it. If more studies confirm the advantage of mixed dosing, hopefully approval will be given when the time comes for boosters.

That said, the data in Canada at this time indicates that the Pfizer vaccine is holding its effectiveness against Delta. That may be because we received our second shots more recently, but it may also be because we used an 8-12 week dosing interval, which provides a significantly stronger boost than a 3-week interval.

So basically you are saying MRNA biotech is overhyped?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Hmmm, is the mRNA vaccine a scam? 

That really strange, just changing the text that present that picture would change how people looking at it would feel I think.

 

The black line (over 80) had a lower increase rate almost all days than the green one since august 5, and never much above, while being the group that naturally stay the most at risk.

Edited by Barnack
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Image

 

Has well, it could summer in the south playing differently being in part in play like last summer and because the US had such a big advance in their vaccination campaign that the fact it had more time to wear off could be happening, but the difference is so big:

E9agQExVcAAq75w?format=jpg&name=4096x409

 

 

 

Canada vaccination rate at mid august of the 12+ in Canada was 82.12% at least one dose, 73% full while in the USA it was 61% and 51.6%

 

That 220% the amount of unvaccinated people. Among the 75+ not fully vaccinated the difference is 275% (less than 8% in Canada about 21.3 in the US)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2021 at 4:01 AM, Maggie said:

Question for those who've already had coronavirus. Did you catch it a second time? i'm not clear if you can catch it again after already had it a few months ago. Nobody talks about natural immunity, only vaccines. Is it like the flu...get it every year?

 

I just tested positive for COVID a couple days ago (although I got sick about a week ago). I thought I may have had it back in Feb 2020. but after actually having a positive test I think that is unlikely. this is way worse than that. thankfully I got lots of sleep last night and almost all my symptoms are gone now and I feel the most "Normal" since I got it.
 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kalo said:

 

I just tested positive for COVID a couple days ago (although I got sick about a week ago). I thought I may have had it back in Feb 2020. but after actually having a positive test I think that is unlikely. this is way worse than that. thankfully I got lots of sleep last night and almost all my symptoms are gone now and I feel the most "Normal" since I got it.
 

 

Take it easy for at least the next 3-5 days, just to make sure you're not a "double dip" Covid sufferer...for many people, they start to feel better between days 7-9, but then get a lot worse right afterwards, so you want to make sure you're one who has definitely beaten it before you go back to normalcy...

 

And feel better soon!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

1,134 deaths in USA yesterday.

 

Getting bad very quickly.

 

 

For those with immune disorders or serious underlying conditions, its unfortunate if COVID was direct or indirect factors, its really unfortunate. As for Anti-Vaxxers i have little sympathy. They have and will not learn. Sometimes families affected still wont change their mind. The narrative is now ingrained. Its going to be an endemic that continues for a while. Hopefully it becomes benign like seasonal flu soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.





×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.