Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

 

Despite all the idiots and Trump morons, the United States is still by far the greatest country on the planet.  Stop going over the top, there is a reason the entire world is still scratching to get even a shot to live in this country.  

 

On 9/16/2021 at 5:01 PM, EmpireCity said:

just a weeeee bit over the top on this.  

It goes both ways ;)

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

 

Despite all the idiots and Trump morons, the United States is still by far the greatest country on the planet.  Stop going over the top, there is a reason the entire world is still scratching to get even a shot to live in this country.  

Oh hell no, if we didn't have an epic shit ton of debt in my licenses and experience in America translated I would run screaming back to Europe. It's infinitely better than America it's not even close. America's like that ugly less intelligent loud obnoxious cousin. Even before the pandemic traveling here was insanely expensive and everything is a long ordeal because it's such a long flight away if you want to leave the country.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

 

It goes both ways ;)

I totally get why some people like America there's a lot of opportunity to make good money here as long as you don't get sick and you don't need to take out a ton of debt and horrifically expensive college etc. 

 

Trains here are worse than Eastern Europe. It's absolutely insanely expensive to travel in the states to horrible destinations people don't even want to go to but perhaps have to for family. Social safety net sucks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The American Dream...

 

Screen-Shot-2021-09-18-at-8-19-54-PM.png

 

If it's not COVID

 

Screen-Shot-2021-09-18-at-8-22-08-PM.png

 

Quote

Life Expectancy 

1 Monaco 89.40  
2 Singapore 86.19  
3 Macau 84.81  
4 Japan 84.65  
5 San Marino 83.68  
6 Canada 83.62  
7 Iceland 83.45  
8 Hong Kong 83.41  
9 Andorra 83.23  
10 Israel 83.15  
11 Guernsey 83.03  
12 Switzerland 83.03  
13 Malta 83.00  
14 Australia 82.89  
15 Korea, South 82.78  
16 Luxembourg 82.78  
17 Italy 82.67  
18 Sweden 82.60  
19 Jersey 82.43  
20 France 82.39  
21 Liechtenstein 82.36  
22 Norway 82.35  
23 New Zealand 82.33  
24 Spain 82.21  
25 Austria 82.07  
26 Anguilla 82.00  
27 Netherlands 81.95  
28 Cayman Islands 81.84  
29 Isle of Man 81.84  
30 Bermuda 81.83  
31 Belgium 81.65  
32 Slovenia 81.61  
33 Finland 81.55  
34 Puerto Rico 81.47  
35 Denmark 81.45  
36 Ireland 81.45  
37 Germany 81.30  
38 United Kingdom 81.30  
39 Portugal 81.29  
40 Greece 81.28  
41 Saint Pierre and Miquelon 81.20  
42 Faroe Islands 81.04  
43 Taiwan 80.95  
44 Turks and Caicos Islands 80.60  
45 Wallis and Futuna 80.45  
46 United States 80.43

 

Source: https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/field/life-expectancy-at-birth/country-comparison

 

Quote

The world's most livable cities 2019

1. Vienna, Austria
2. Melbourne, Australia
3. Sydney, Australia
4. Osaka, Japan
5. Calgary, Canada
6. Vancouver, Canada
7. Toronto, Canada
7. Tokyo, Japan
9. Copenhagen, Denmark
10. Adelaide, Australia
 

More like the American Nightmare.

 

Also are we going to really act like Trump was the only president of recent memory that made the US a joke, how quickly some forget George W. Bush. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

 

Despite all the idiots and Trump morons, the United States is still by far the greatest country on the planet.  Stop going over the top, there is a reason the entire world is still scratching to get even a shot to live in this country.  


Trible LOL

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

 

Despite all the idiots and Trump morons, the United States is still by far the greatest country on the planet.  Stop going over the top, there is a reason the entire world is still scratching to get even a shot to live in this country.  

Funnily enough, right now half of Americans are refusing a shot to live in the US 😅

 

I think most western countries have problems with migrants looking for a better life. The United States is basically the UK with less banter, more fake wokeness, expensive healthcare and school shootings. The confidence in Americans is your worst and greatest asset, probably because they make children pledge to the flag during their school year maybe? Then again loving your country is not a bad thing, something I believe many lack here as we love a good moan but you have to be realistic. The US doesn't even make the top 10 of highest living standards in world. You can't claim the greatest country without living in others or growing up with different cultures, unless you've been brainwashed to think that.

 

As for America's land, I may have to agree with you as you as there is so much to explore. You have such a wide range of natural beauty that I'd love to visit but it's very hard to compare America to beautiful places like France and Italy with their rich history showing through their cities asthetics. 

 

 

Edited by Chicago
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

 

Despite all the idiots and Trump morons, the United States is still by far the greatest country on the planet.  Stop going over the top, there is a reason the entire world is still scratching to get even a shot to live in this country.  

 

I can agree with the overall sentiment if not the exact way it was expressed:)...

 

That said, there are a lot of nice places (and not so nice places in the world), too.  You can be proud of where you live while understanding other folks are proud of where they live, too.  And understanding that not all of us measure greatness the same way - some measure it by freedoms, some by monetary supports, some by the culture, some by the land, etc...

 

But I do agree - for me personally, the US is the greatest country in the world.  That's why I joined the military in my youth to be part of defending it.  Nothing changed my mind then or now...politicians come and go, as do media narratives...but the people and freedoms and opportunities here don't...

 

My opportunity now is to get the greatest and most "current" treatments for my cancer in the world when I need them.  I'm part of health discussion boards where folks around the world can't even get the baseline treatments for my cancer type (they don't exist in the country), so we try to help with global charitable program referrals and other things - sometimes that's possible, sometimes it isn't...and when it isn't, you remember how blessed you are to be here, where it's not ever in question...

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

PS, and OT, but speaking of my cancer - I had my check up again yesterday and heard the words every cancer patient of my type wants to hear from their doc - "Your cancer is progressing much slower than I expected it would and that it should, so keep doing whatever you're doing":)...

 

Which means posting must be helping my health and I'll be around a lot, lot longer (hopefully:)...

 

It can't be the daily 3 mile walks, clean eating, vitamins and green tea, consistent sleep, no soda, low stress, etc...nope, it's posting joy:)...

 

Seriously, though, thanks for all the thoughts and prayers you all have sent my way since my diagnosis...whether it's placebo or not, the effect still seems to be helping, and as far as I'm concerned, placebo helps just as much b/c if I don't have cancer progression, I don't really care if it's b/c the "medicine" helped or "I just believed it would, so it did, but it shouldn't have worked":)...

 

PS - Now, the cancer is not reversing, but when progression is counted in the 100s of cells/per x (vs the thousands and ten thousands/ per x), that's awesome...only thing better would be if that was a regression in the 100s of cells/ per x...

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

 

Despite all the idiots and Trump morons, the United States is still by far the greatest country on the planet.  Stop going over the top, there is a reason the entire world is still scratching to get even a shot to live in this country.  

 

Haha. Sorry, ill glady live any day of the year in Germany with our universal health care, low crime rates, practically no gun violence, multiple party-political system where you can actually choose between very different political representitives and better beer.

 

Seriously, every country has its fair share of problems of course. But America has far bigger and more problems than most democracies. For me personally, alone what i hear about the horrendous hospital bills in the US, the mass evictions, the regular school schootings and generally the rampant capitalism, i woundt exactly call it the "greatest country on the planet".

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

PS, and OT, but speaking of my cancer - I had my check up again yesterday and heard the words every cancer patient of my type wants to hear from their doc - "Your cancer is progressing much slower than I expected it would and that it should, so keep doing whatever you're doing":)...

 

Which means posting must be helping my health and I'll be around a lot, lot longer (hopefully:)...

 

It can't be the daily 3 mile walks, clean eating, vitamins and green tea, consistent sleep, no soda, low stress, etc...nope, it's posting joy:)...

 

Seriously, though, thanks for all the thoughts and prayers you all have sent my way since my diagnosis...whether it's placebo or not, the effect still seems to be helping, and as far as I'm concerned, placebo helps just as much b/c if I don't have cancer progression, I don't really care if it's b/c the "medicine" helped or "I just believed it would, so it did, but it shouldn't have worked":)...

 

PS - Now, the cancer is not reversing, but when progression is counted in the 100s of cells/per x (vs the thousands and ten thousands/ per x), that's awesome...only thing better would be if that was a regression in the 100s of cells/ per x...

 

Wishing you the best and great health going forward.  Keep fighting and taking care of yourself, this place wouldn't be the same without you.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brainbug said:

 

Haha. Sorry, ill glady live any day of the year in Germany with our universal health care, low crime rates, practically no gun violence, multiple party-political system where you can actually choose between very different political representitives and better beer.

 

Seriously, every country has its fair share of problems of course. But America has far bigger and more problems than most democracies. For me personally, alone what i hear about the horrendous hospital bills in the US, the mass evictions, the regular school schootings and generally the rampant capitalism, i woundt exactly call it the "greatest country on the planet".

 

You're welcome for Americans (including both of my Grandfathers) setting things right in Germany and allowing you to live in a free democracy where you aren't subject to the Nazi party or the Soviet communists.  

 

Germany had quite the problems until the United States showed up and saved it from itself and then the Soviets.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyways, in the spirit of not getting a warning or points, I'll just say the popularity of people shitting on the United States has gone completely overboard.  This is a country with its issues like any other, but at the end of the day it is still a great country and offers the most opportunity and does and has done more for the rest of the world than any other country.  

 

I get a bit worked up when people throw such blatant disrespect.  There are still people alive that gave up their youth and watched their friends die to stomp out fascism and communism.  People who didn't have to volunteer chose to go and stop the reign of madness by countries like Germany, Japan, Russia and others.  Helped save and fight along side England, France, China, Holland, Belgium, etc... 

 

Europe especially owes their current freedoms directly to the selflessness of the citizen soldiers of the United States of America.  

 

Rant over.  That is all.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Americans came together to face 9/11 in a great way then everything got much worse. It's never been perfect but it's been going down hill for 20 years. Our reputation has plummeted.

 

We were at the epicenter of the housing crash, Lehman failed due to lack of testing/regulation to prevent such a thing. AIG an insurance company damn near did the same.

 

Our healthcare specialists are the best the world right up there with Switzerland however day to day care is mediocre at best. I had better treatment consistently with the NHS for 3 years. Health insurance rates are insane. Standard of care varies wildly and is not consistent. Healthcare is a raging dumpster fire right now. Nurses are getting paid more than NPs/PAs and still quitting (talk about bad treatment). 30% of the country is firmly antivax when it was what maybe 5% two years ago? Never expected to see a million antivax nurses and medical assistants but here we are.

 

Hell look at the pandemic. 90% of PPP funds went to wealthy businesses that didn't need it and still fired people. Around 40% of small businesses shut down for good. If America was so awesome our birthrate would not be plummeting. Is it better than every 3rd world country? Yes. Would 40% of the country be in poverty without social security, the very thing one party wants to take away? Yes.

 

Empire is right the US used to be a great country. I just don't agree that it is now. Not horrible but tons of problems and it's only getting worse thanks to insane partisan politics. WW2 was a long time ago and to be frank Afghanistan was a huge failure (for all presidents). I greatly appreciate the sacrifice the military has went through to serve others. Especially the air force because of my connection to them. Living and working with them for 3 years in England was some of the best time in my life thus far.

Edited by cdsacken
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

 

You're welcome for Americans (including both of my Grandfathers) setting things right in Germany and allowing you to live in a free democracy where you aren't subject to the Nazi party or the Soviet communists.  

 

Germany had quite the problems until the United States showed up and saved it from itself and then the Soviets.  

 

I thought were talking about the present and not the past, which is a whole other argument 🙂 Im comparing the US of 2021 to the Germany of 2021 and id personally find a great many reasons why i prefer my country, the main ones ive listed above. I dont mean to insult you or any other Americans in any way, its just my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

 

I can agree with the overall sentiment if not the exact way it was expressed:)...

 

That said, there are a lot of nice places (and not so nice places in the world), too.  You can be proud of where you live while understanding other folks are proud of where they live, too.  And understanding that not all of us measure greatness the same way - some measure it by freedoms, some by monetary supports, some by the culture, some by the land, etc...

 

But I do agree - for me personally, the US is the greatest country in the world.  That's why I joined the military in my youth to be part of defending it.  Nothing changed my mind then or now...politicians come and go, as do media narratives...but the people and freedoms and opportunities here don't...

 

My opportunity now is to get the greatest and most "current" treatments for my cancer in the world when I need them.  I'm part of health discussion boards where folks around the world can't even get the baseline treatments for my cancer type (they don't exist in the country), so we try to help with global charitable program referrals and other things - sometimes that's possible, sometimes it isn't...and when it isn't, you remember how blessed you are to be here, where it's not ever in question...

 

Glad you're healthy and had access to treatment. I greatly and deeply appreciate your service to this country. While I have intense frustrations with the internal politics and the current state of things, I greatly respect and admire those who serve the country. God bless you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Americans came together to face 9/11 in a great way then everything got much worse. It's never been perfect but it's been going down hill for 20 years. Our reputation has plummeted.

 

We were at the epicenter of the housing crash, Lehman failed due to lack of testing/regulation to prevent such a thing. AIG an insurance company damn near did the same.

 

Our healthcare specialists are the best the world right up there with Switzerland however day to day care is mediocre at best. I had better treatment consistently with the NHS for 3 years. Health insurance rates are insane. Standard of care varies wildly and is not consistent. Healthcare is a raging dumpster fire right now. Nurses are getting paid more than NPs/PAs and still quitting (talk about bad treatment). 30% of the country is firmly antivax when it was what maybe 5% two years ago? Never expected to see a million antivax nurses and medical assistants but here we are.

 

Hell look at the pandemic. 90% of PPP funds went to wealthy businesses that didn't need it and still fired people. Around 40% of small businesses shut down for good. If America was so awesome our birthrate would not be plummeting. Is it better than every 3rd world country? Yes. Would 40% of the country be in poverty with social security, the very thing one party wants to take away? Yes.

 

Empire is right the US used to be a great country. I just don't agree that it is now. Not horrible but tons of problems and it's only getting worse thanks to insane partisan politics. WW2 was a long time ago and to be frank Afghanistan was a huge failure (for all presidents). I greatly appreciate the sacrifice the military has went through to serve others. Especially the air force because of my connection to them. Living and working with them for 3 years in England was some of the best time in my life thus far.

 

You can take pretty much any country in the world and break them down and pick apart their flaws.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Americans came together to face 9/11 in a great way then everything got much worse. It's never been perfect but it's been going down hill for 20 years. Our reputation has plummeted.

 

We were at the epicenter of the housing crash, Lehman failed due to lack of testing/regulation to prevent such a thing. AIG an insurance company damn near did the same.

 

Our healthcare specialists are the best the world right up there with Switzerland however day to day care is mediocre at best. I had better treatment consistently with the NHS for 3 years. Health insurance rates are insane. Standard of care varies wildly and is not consistent. Healthcare is a raging dumpster fire right now. Nurses are getting paid more than NPs/PAs and still quitting (talk about bad treatment). 30% of the country is firmly antivax when it was what maybe 5% two years ago? Never expected to see a million antivax nurses and medical assistants but here we are.

 

Hell look at the pandemic. 90% of PPP funds went to wealthy businesses that didn't need it and still fired people. Around 40% of small businesses shut down for good. If America was so awesome our birthrate would not be plummeting. Is it better than every 3rd world country? Yes. Would 40% of the country be in poverty with social security, the very thing one party wants to take away? Yes.

 

America is fascinating in that some ares are as 1st World as it can get, while other parts of the country are quite comparable to African countrys. Really goes to show where the money can be found and where its going. I personally just dont see Amercias political system changing so that issues like health care, better work insurances or hell, climate change, can be actually worked on. The US system - the electoral collage, the president which has autocratic-like powers, the enormous influence of the big corporations and Wall Street, the fact that you can basically only choose between two partys which heatens the ongoing culture war in the US instead of lessening it - all that seems like it is set in stone. It will be very interesting to see where the country is headed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

 

You can take pretty much any country in the world and break them down and pick apart their flaws.

 

My point is the country you love and admire as the best ever may have in fact been there. In the 50s we were the gold standard, we will still incredible long after that.

 

However things have deteriorated a lot faster here than in other countries. Seeing how low/moderate income live in Europe for me showed the stark difference. If you are wealthy, America may likely be the best country to live in. For someone like me who makes a good living it's enough to force me to stay here. For the median family in the US? Not anymore, far from the gold standard.

 

One of the best schools in my state, my dad started teaching at in 1991 at the point was $12000 a year including room and board. It's now $70k a year and will push 100k a year with low growth in 10 years (3.5% annual growth)

 

There are PLENTY of good things about this country and a lot of not so good things too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

 

America is fascinating in that some ares are as 1st World as it can get, while other parts of the country are quite comparable to African countrys. Really goes to show where the money can be found and where its going. I personally just dont see Amercias political system changing so that issues like health care, better work insurances or hell, climate change, can be actually worked on. The US system - the electoral collage, the president which has autocratic-like powers, the enormous influence of the big corporations and Wall Street, the fact that you can basically only choose between two partys which heatens the ongoing culture war in the US instead of lessening it - all that seems like it is set in stone. It will be very interesting to see where the country is headed. 

 

Hence my frustration, I see it only changing for the worst. The GOP has pivoted to Xenophobia and they can't ever back out of what they stepped in. They can only go deeper. Problem is the other side is being pulled away from the center and it puts moderates in a bad spot leading to many not voting. A third party would only cause 1 of the 2 to dominate for decades so it won't happen. 

 

If anyone can even an envision how things could get better in 10 or 20 years I would love to hear how. I can't even visualize it anymore :( I want America to be what has the true potential to be. Not to settle for what it used to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

 

Haha. Sorry, ill glady live any day of the year in Germany with our universal health care, low crime rates, practically no gun violence, multiple party-political system where you can actually choose between very different political representitives and better beer.

 

Seriously, every country has its fair share of problems of course. But America has far bigger and more problems than most democracies. For me personally, alone what i hear about the horrendous hospital bills in the US, the mass evictions, the regular school schootings and generally the rampant capitalism, i woundt exactly call it the "greatest country on the planet".

Germany is definitely up there as one of the best countries to live in

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.