DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Daily cases has doubled here in a few days eventhough 77% are vaccinated.

We are currently boosting with a 3rd to sick and elderly but everyone will be offered a jab 6,5 months after their 2nd shot

Covid is very much still alive

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

anybody got any ideas on why Germanys case fatality rate is double the UKs?

Most likely because the UK was hit quite badly early on by the less severe variants, which wasn't all that bad in Germany. That meant by the time Delta came around, there were far more fulnerable people left in Germany than in the UK.

Another point would be, that the UK has exploded in case numbers over the last few months, a time with little to no restrictions, while Germany never stopped all restrictions entirely. That meant that the UK almost doubled its case numbers since May 1st, a rise of over 4 million cases. Germany only added about 1m during that time. Both saw roughly the same amount of people die during that period. So basically the UK added plenty of low level infections, while Germany still had measurements in place to keep those down.

The numbers also seem to be a bit off. Germany's case fatality rate is at 0.021, the UK's at 0.016. On May 1st, the numbers were 0.0244 for Germany and 0.0289 for he UK.

11 hours ago, ZackM said:

I got my 3rd dose today.

How old are you and how long after your 2nd?

21 hours ago, George Parr said:

Most likely because the UK was hit quite badly early on by the less severe variants, which wasn't all that bad in Germany. That meant by the time Delta came around, there were far more fulnerable people left in Germany than in the UK.

Another point would be, that the UK has exploded in case numbers over the last few months, a time with little to no restrictions, while Germany never stopped all restrictions entirely. That meant that the UK almost doubled its case numbers since May 1st, a rise of over 4 million cases. Germany only added about 1m during that time. Both saw roughly the same amount of people die during that period. So basically the UK added plenty of low level infections, while Germany still had measurements in place to keep those down.

The numbers also seem to be a bit off. Germany's case fatality rate is at 0.021, the UK's at 0.016. On May 1st, the numbers were 0.0244 for Germany and 0.0289 for he UK.

I'm looking here..

On 10/22/2021 at 7:15 PM, EmpireCity said:

Not in significant numbers unless you have other data.  

Portugal is one of the most vaccinated place on earth (it is almost 100% for the relevant population). If you look in the UK daily case you would have the exact opposite view.

Even in the USA the 7 days average has been going up 8 days in a row.

For the first time in a long time, we recently reported 0 deaths and sub 30 cases in my country. And cases have been in a decline for over a month now. My country's population is about 5 million. (Oman)

Edited by Momori
On 10/23/2021 at 6:41 PM, fmpro said:

Daily cases has doubled here in a few days eventhough 77% are vaccinated.

We are currently boosting with a 3rd to sick and elderly but everyone will be offered a jab 6,5 months after their 2nd shot

Covid is very much still alive

Countries that kept restrictions during summer are going to pay for it in winter.

25 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Countries that kept restrictions during summer are going to pay for it in winter.

Will see, if they have a near 100% vaccination rate, should not be too big of a price (doing much if not more of the natural immunity gained during a summer would have been).

77% is not particularly a big number (depending of is spread), a clear above 95% among adult is probably needed for this winter.

On 10/23/2021 at 3:16 PM, AndyK said:

anybody got any ideas on why Germanys case fatality rate is double the UKs?

IFR seem much lower has well:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.12.21256975v4.full

0.3% (0.16% to .47%)

vs

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.26.21250507v1.full

0.83% (.29% to .98%)

Germany has significantly more elders by capita (22%) versus (18%), one would expect at least 22% more death. 5.4 million people 75+ in the UK in 2018 versus 9.5 millions in Germany in 2020, significantly more than the population difference.

Edited by Barnack
8 hours ago, AndyK said:

We have been almost 100% open for months now. So lets see

7 hours ago, Barnack said:

Will see, if they have a near 100% vaccination rate, should not be too big of a price (doing much if not more of the natural immunity gained during a summer would have been).

77% is not particularly a big number (depending of is spread), a clear above 95% among adult is probably needed for this winter.

IFR seem much lower has well:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.12.21256975v4.full

0.3% (0.16% to .47%)

vs

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.26.21250507v1.full

0.83% (.29% to .98%)

Germany has significantly more elders by capita (22%) versus (18%), one would expect at least 22% more death. 5.4 million people 75+ in the UK in 2018 versus 9.5 millions in Germany in 2020, significantly more than the population difference.

77% is entire population. We are 95-96 % for 50 years old and up plus entire healtcare system..

• Like 1

I decided to schedule the booster myself. It's actually incredibly easy to justify high risk due to occupation which is good because I didn't want to lie. My wife got it because she's in healthcare.

I'm just praying my daughter is allowed to be vaccinated in a week or so. She's 7

• Like 3

Kind of surprise by vaccination rate in USA, the pace is actually higher than during Delta's surge despite the wave is subsiding now, may bode well for upcoming winter . this winter will be very crucial season to observe how vaccine hold up against the worst scenario. 

Hope we can finally move this thread away from main board.

10 hours ago, fmpro said:

77% is entire population. We are 95-96 % for 50 years old and up plus entire healtcare system..

I am not sure who is we here, but 77% would not be specially high, that not even Canada or Uruguay, it is Japan that started super late or Bolsonaro Brasil.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Portugal level (virtually 100% for non Kids) is specially high.

70-80% was a high level pre-delta with a R0 of around 3, with the new version above 6 it is a different situation, either have giant vaccination rate or like Florida very high vaccination and very high natural immunity.

Edited by Barnack
1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Kind of surprise by vaccination rate in USA, the pace is actually higher than during Delta's surge despite the wave is subsiding now, may bode well for upcoming winter . this winter will be very crucial season to observe how vaccine hold up against the worst scenario. 

Hope we can finally move this thread away from main board.

I think its because of 3rd jabs. Not 1/2 ones