DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

I am not sure who is we here, but 77% would not be specially high, that not even Canada or Uruguay, it is Japan that started super late or Bolsonaro Brasil.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Portugal level (virtually 100% for non Kids) is specially high.

70-80% was a high level pre-delta with a R0 of around 3, with the new version above 6 it is a different situation, either have giant vaccination rate or like Florida very high vaccination and very high natural immunity.

We are Denmark. I agree that Portugal is impressive but here only 4-5% over 50 are unvaccinated and 98,9% of all healthcare workers are vaccinated. I think thats pretty good.

We must be a pretty “young country”. Of course countries with alot of elderly have a higher % of the entire population.

2 minutes ago, fmpro said:

I think its because of 3rd jabs. Not 1/2 ones

No, not including booster shot. The tracking have 3rd shot in the separate list. If so, the percentage of fully vaccinated crowd against total population wouldn't increase as much.  

Just now, titanic2187 said:

No, not including booster shot. The tracking have 3rd shot in the separate list. If so, the percentage of fully vaccinated crowd against total population wouldn't increase as much.  

Okay. But you`re still under 60% of population right? Still pretty low. You`re going to have a tough winter

4 minutes ago, AndyK said:

You're going to get a winter wave.

Could be (like we could have every winter for ever) specially that they never had an increase in mortality since the very beginning, but with a 96% vaccination rate among the 50+ already, it could be quite the gentle one.

21 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Could be (like we could have every winter for ever) specially that they never had an increase in mortality since the very beginning, but with a 96% vaccination rate among the 50+ already, it could be quite the gentle one.

The vaccines are only 50% effective against infection, their cases are already taking off and boosters wont last long enough to cover all winter.

9 minutes ago, AndyK said:

The vaccines are only 50% effective against infection, their cases are already taking off and boosters wont last long enough to cover all winter.

You need to had how much they reduce secondary infection once a vaccinated person get infected has well (seem to be that a vaccinated person that get covid has 60-70% less chance to infect others, which can make a total effect among a totally vaccinated population of 80-90%, which can make very high natural R0 stay under 1.0)

But I had gentle by harsh case metric, not total case.

Wanning efficacity is against infection more than harsh case, and even there in Italy natural immunity of the first wave showed almost no reinfection case in a 12 month follow up (0.3%)

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abm0829

Together, these findings demonstrate robust cellular immune memory to SARS-CoV-2 and variants for at least 6 months after mRNA vaccination.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02183-8/fulltext

Vaccine effectiveness against hospital admissions for infections with the delta variant for all ages was high overall (93% [95% CI 84–96]) up to 6 months.

I wonder if more and more long term study of vaccine effectiveness does not have people with a previous infection in their comparison group skewed the result.

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

You're going to get a winter wave.

Its allready begun. Cases more than double than last week

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

All danes will be offered a booster 6,5 months after their 2nd jab. Maybe before

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Can you get a Moderna Booster if you have gotten Pfizer. That would be the most resilent approach.

I don`t think we have that choice im affraid. They want every jab to be the same. Even the ones that got J&J. They will get a 2nd with that vaccine

• Like 1
12 hours ago, fmpro said:

All danes will be offered a booster 6,5 months after their 2nd jab. Maybe before

All the evidence we have is that the body can't maintain high antibody levels for very long, they drop back very fast around 90 days to the level that the standard 2 dose vaccine background level, which is not really going to cover until April.

Here in the UK, they deliberately dropped all measures back in July and let Delta rip through whilst the hospitals were in the normally quite summer period. Now cases are declining and are expected to minimise by Christmas.

Its cyclical and the next wave is expected in spring, each wave will be smaller.

It's a very bad idea to let the covid cycles align with the cold/flu cycles.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Porthos said:

Great news for you guys. It should really help get closer to flock immunity. Everyone should still make their own choice though. Do children really need it or is it just for the greater good?

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

Great news for you guys. It should really help get closer to flock immunity. Everyone should still make their own choice though. Do children really need it or is it just for the greater good?

I'll leave the "do kids 5-11 really need it" to folks like @Jason, though I tend to think the closer folks are to 11, the more I'd say "yes".

However, psychologically speaking, for parents?  There I'd be more firm in saying it's very much a good thing.  Anecdotally I know of a lot of adults who are very worried about passing on COVID to their kids or having their kids come down with COVID when they're out and about or at school and changing their habits accordingly.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen a variation of "I'm vaccinated, but I'm worried about my kids" or "pandemic's not over until kids can get shots" and so on.

So, if I just want to look at this from a utilitarian perspective, which admittedly can be dodgy many a time, it's a major step in getting us closer to "normal".  Whatever normal turns out to be in the near and medium term, that is.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is no question in my mind that I would rather have my 8 year old vaccinated and go to school than otherwise. Even though we are in bay area where there is masking policy at school and mandates for teachers/staff to be vaccinated, kids themselves are vulnerable. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

There is no question in my mind that I would rather have my 8 year old vaccinated and go to school than otherwise. Even though we are in bay area where there is masking policy at school and mandates for teachers/staff to be vaccinated, kids themselves are vulnerable. 

I'm getting my youngest vaxxed, too.  I look at it like the chicken pox vaccine for kids - chicken pox probably wouldn't kill my kid, but him getting the disease might kill older family members who've never been exposed to chicken pox and might make him miserable for weeks.  And if he didn't get the vax and didn't ever get chicken pox, he'd then be in the "high risk" category as an adult.  So, better safe than sorry and he got that vax, and he'll get this one, too...