baumer

Birds of Prey (2020)

Grade it  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The first half hour feels so needlessly over-complicated for no reason outside of an attempt to reaffirm Harley's position as an unreliable narrator, but once it gets over that hurdle it's pretty damn fun. Thought Robbie was a bad caricature in Suicide Squad, but she's really good here; equal parts charismatic and empathetic, almost feels like a reset of that character. It's shot really well, and has some really well shot and choreographed (and inventive!) action sequences, and the actors doing some of the stunt work themselves really led to some great coverage. Ewan McGregor MVP.

Pretty decent. It should’ve just been a Harley Quinn solo film because that’s pretty much what the film is focused on being more than fifty percent of the runtime. The Birds of Prey themselves feel like an afterthought for most of the runtime. The humor was pretty hit or miss (leaning more towards the latter) and it often feels like DC’s attempt to coast off the Deadpool formula, which they do almost to a tee with the same jumping back and forth in time structure that that film used. Still, when they’re all on-screen together and when the action gets ramped up, the film is a ton of fun. Also, I have a huge crush on Mary Elizabeth Winstead so brownie points for this film.

For all it’s faults, it’s a fun pastime at the theater though you’d probably be better off watching the Harley Quinn show on DC Universe if you really wanna get your fix of that character.

B-

I had a good time with this. It's worlds better than Suicide Squad for sure, but it was a bit too low-stakes for me to really claim it's one of the best DC movies. I know that's the point, but I still would've liked to have felt that there was some sense that Harley and pals wouldn't emerge victorious in the end, as I never found Ewan McGregor's Black Mask to be a remotely threatening villain (even though the actor is clearly having a good time hamming it up). But Cathy Yan directs the hell out of the many violent set pieces, most of the humor works, and Margot Robbie continues to kill it (Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rosie Perez, and Jurnee Smollett-Bell also kick plenty of ass in the climax but this is definitely Robbie's movie - we'll see if a spin-off ever happens although I doubt it at this point). Just don't think about it much and go along for the crazy ride. B

Just don't see the point of not being faithful to the source material. Cassandra Cain, what a waste of a potential. The girl who could take on Batman in the comics is a pick pocket. Black Canary used her cry right at the end like wtf? Thats her main weapon. Huntress wearing 90's get up. Come on man. As for Renee...nope sorry too old. Just give them the damn costumes. They would have looked so much cooler.

The movie was only enjoyable because of Ewan Mcgregor who was awesome and Margot as Harley. Victor Zsasz. Omg dont get me started on that fucker. Could have named him anything else. 

Anyways even with all that bullshit i still enjoyed it. Even though Harley has no business being in a Birds of Prey movie unless she is the antagonist. Nor was it needed to be R rated. There was absolutely no gore.

Pity it flopped. Deserved atleast 300m ww.

B-

Onus is on Gunn now to save this corner of the DCEU. Hope WB change the projected rating of R to PG13. Or release both versions?

A proudly offbeat and singular entry into the comic book movie subgenre, Birds of Prey succeeds not only in crafting a deliriously fun experience, but also in reclaiming the Harley Quinn character after her first big screen iteration in Suicide Squad. Though the character and actress remain the same and share the same continuity established in the 2016 film, Birds of Prey makes good on the promise of its title by emancipating Margot Robbie’s take on Harley Quinn from the thankless job of being a male gaze-y piece of scene-stealing fan service. Here, she’s instead plopped into a world where her femininity is celebrated and where she gets to exist on her own terms with a clear sense of agency. Robbie stole the show in Suicide Squad, and she’s even more fun to watch this time around. She sinks her teeth into Harley Quinn’s eccentricities with gusto and constantly appears to be having a blast in this role; she’s frequently hilarious and brings the character to such vivid life that I could definitely go for future sequels. The supporting cast is also plenty of fun, with Rosie Perez, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jurnee Smollett-Bell, and Ella Jay Basco all turning in fun work as the other ass-kicking ladies who join Quinn at various points in the film. Their comfort and chemistry with one another pays off in grand fashion in a fun third act that makes the most of its clear budgetary constraints with impressive choreography and a strong sense of camaraderie among the titular team. Ewan McGregor is something of a weak link as the villainous Black Mask, but even he gets some moments where he’s clearly having fun going off the wall. The hyperkinetic style and self-aware humor that director Cathy Yan brings to the proceedings might not be every viewer’s cup of tea, but I was delighted with just about every offbeat decision she and her creative team put forth. Though I wasn’t a fan of Suicide Squad and the uncomfortable ways it portrayed Harley Quinn, I am glad that its success yielded a course correction as gleefully enjoyable as Birds of Prey; it’s the unapologetically femme and absurdist entertainment this character has always deserved.

B+

Stray Thoughts:

- Seriously, it feels like this movie is the reward for everyone who gritted their teeth through Suicide Squad hoping that we'd someday get a Harley Quinn movie worthier of Margot Robbie's talents.

- I know it's a split-second, blink-and-you'll-miss-it thing, but a big hell yeah to the decision to make Harley Quinn canonically bi in this universe.

- My biggest laugh was when the climactic fight scene paused so that Harley could loan out a hair tie.

• Like 1

Lots of fun! Margot Robbie does great as Harley Quinn and lots of funny bits. The action scenes were fun and I liked the breaking the fourth wall here and there. Ewan Mcgregor plays a fun villain. This will be one I’d rewatch again on Home video. It’s no Deadpool but I recommend this one!

grade: B+ 

I thought I reviewed this here...anyway.

I adored it. I can understand the problems comic readers may have (The authenticity of Cass, original BOP not involving Harley, Oracle's omission) and the frantic setup that is Harley's mindset which contributes to the odd first half hour.

There's a weird lack of Huntress, but besides that, I had so much fun and really enjoyed seeing female superheros bond and be genuine. Probably the first DCEU movie I'll buy.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:13 AM, TMP said:

The first half hour feels so needlessly over-complicated

I did try to watch the movie, was not able to pass that point, the exposition felt so bad, so little room for anything to breathe, so much deux ex machina