TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

21 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The trailers didn't hook people like Suicide Squad did.

It doesn't matter if BOP is better made.

I thought the trailers looked exactly like the Suicide Squad trailers. I'm guessing that's part of the reason people were turned off. They didn't want another film that looked like Suicide Squad.

WB need to start marketing DC better so these films start benefiting off each other

I fear for Gunn's SS. Not only does it have nothing going for it but it's gonna be seen as a sequel to the first one even tho it's a "reboot"

Edited by DlAMONDZ

Suicide Squad trailers editing was god tier tbh from the first "I Started A Joke" trailer then they were just showing off with the "Bohemian Rhapsody" trailer like I really cant believe how trash the actual product came to be cuz WOW those trailers were amazing

• Thanks 1

Suicide Squad's marketing campaign was flawless. It's really too bad the final product was so butchered.

Not gonna happen but Deadline's early estimates for Shazam were $4-4.4m and it ended up being $5.9m. Hoping it ends up at 5m+. 

3 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

Suicide Squad trailers editing was god tier tbh from the first "I Started A Joke" trailer then they were just showing off with the "Bohemian Rhapsody" trailer like I really cant believe how trash the actual product came to be cuz WOW those trailers were amazing

Welcome back!

I can't comment on the finished product cause I haven't seen the movie yet, but as good as Suicide Squad's marketing was, BoP's was equally bad. Seriously, I remember getting SO hyped for Suicide Squad (goddamn, WB did an excellent job marketing that thing) and BoP had some of the weirdest, and unappealing marketing in recent blockbuster memory. The fact that the movie is apparently as good as it is makes this even more of a head-scratcher. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

WB need to start marketing DC better so these films start benefiting off each other

I fear for Gunn's SS. Not only does it have nothing going for it but it's gonna be seen as a sequel to the first one even tho it's a "reboot"

Maybe SS2 could be considered a soft reboot because it has most of the same actors, doesn't it?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I can't comment on the finished product cause I haven't seen the movie yet, but as good as Suicide Squad's marketing was, BoP's was equally bad. Seriously, I remember getting SO hyped for Suicide Squad (goddamn, WB did an excellent job marketing that thing) and BoP had some of the weirdest, and unappealing marketing in recent blockbuster memory. The fact that the movie is apparently as good as it is makes this even more of a head-scratcher. 

trailers have been pretty bad, reminds how Star Trek Beyond put out a dreadful teaser trailer and never recovered

• Like 1

When something is fishy a bout a movie, GA can smell it from afar.

They are wiser than you think.

They are not the gullible type that follows blindly a red vegetable score on an Internets site that tells you "this movie is good".

They have free will, unlike the sheep mentality of cinephalia that think so highly of critics as if they were the measure of something valuable.

Having free will.

In 2020.

Imagine that.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 3

5 hours ago, RealLyre said:

how good is this for a 50M OW? Shazam made 53M from a 5.9M that started on 4PM but this is R-rated.. 

it's not getting a 50M OW if it has under 5M thursday. it's not possible. (almost)

25 minutes ago, Dani said:

Speaking for myself, I never liked HQ, I think a lot of people overestimated her popularity. Something about the character annoys me and I've seen some people say the same thing.

don't think popularity can be overestimated given how successful Suicide Squad was. Joker & Harley Quinn was a big part of that. although I equally find the character extremely annoying, particularly Margot Robbie's version in suicide squad and in the adverts for this movie too.

People underestimate how much people hated Suicide Squad. Hardcore DC fans would have seen BOP anyway, but this is for me a good example of a film that has to pay for another one's sins. Didnt help at all that the trailers made it look like a spin-off/sequel to Suicide Squad of course.

Just now, Madhuvan said:

It's very depressing actually. 

I am not the biggest DC fan out there but I really wanted this movie to do good. 

Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel build a very good momentum for female lead superhero movies. 

Now, I am just hoping Black Widow and WW84 don't underperform. (I know it's bit of overreaction but you never know) 

My thoughts on BOP