TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

Ewan Macgregor just chooses good movies as projects rather than ones that are guaranteed to make bank. Sure, a lot of the things he's been in recently have underperformed, but none of them were relying on him to get butts in seats. BoP is obviously not an "Ewan McGregor movie". Doctor Sleep was a Stephen King adaptation more than anything else. Christopher Robin was a Winnie the Pooh movie, etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The Avenger actors outside of Avenger movies.

Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Jeremy Renner and Scarlett Johansson are no wat box office poison. 

Chris Hemsworth is box office poison though. 

11 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yup.

At the very least DC is establishing an image of dependability, with their movies being good. If this has somewhat decent legs then develops a following post-theatrical, while not an ideal financial situation, it will at least not hurt the brand as much as a huge budget critical disaster that gets laughed at by millions would. Unnoticed but good, leading to a lot of people watching this on a fucking plane, in a hotel room, on netflix, etc, months down the line and finding they enjoy it is still a better outcome for the brand than BvS.

I would say that MCU type consistency is very rare, I think WB aren’t going to panic over BoP, they’ll simply move on to the next DC film and hope for the best. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Serpico Jones said:

These early numbers are a disaster. Who’s idea was it to green light this? It’s nothing more than a Margot Robbie vanity project that has fuck all to do with DC comics. The early trailers were absolutely terrible.

Very reasonable reaction. WTH?

• Like 1

Just left the theaters; very solid film. Enjoyed it - a little messy at the start but once it sets off, it never lets up. Great direction, acting as well as action. I think at least an A- CinemaScore with pretty good WoM and decent legs.

Won’t do well here in Asia though, barely anyone is going to the theaters because of the fear of the Wuhan virus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DAJK said:

not sure how many would agree with this but I think the biggest problem with the marketing is that they approached how to market this movie from the wrong way. They assumed people would want to see it anyways (and why wouldn't they, CBM's have a mostly excellent track record at the box office, especially if they're good). 

The marketing assumed people were already on board, rather than "we need to MAKE people be on board". The trailers felt pretty isolating for people who weren't already fully on board with the characters/tone/DCEU. It didn't do anything to sway the on-the-fencers, and I think that's reflecting in the numbers. WOM seems to be good, I think it can recover somewhat, but I would blame the marketing team for this one rather than the people who actually made the movie. 

I agree with this. They really took the core CBM audience for granted. Didn't attend Comic con which this movie desperately needed and then lackluster trailers,posters etc.

• Like 1

Although I'd say its probably justified, maybe we shouldn't panic just yet? Even with a lower OD, the movie is looking at a higher OW in both France and Germany. Asia is dead but it's not just because of the movie itself. I doubt the movie is surpassing Shazam DOM but I think we should wait until either Deadline early Friday numbers or Jat Friday numbers.

Too early to open a WWW thread? :ph34r:

But seriously what went wrong?

Is the title of the movie too unclear?

Bad reception of SS?

Lame trailers?

Lack of proper marketing?

Are people starting to get tired of CBMs? :ph34r:

Bad Boys stealing the spotlight?

7 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Too early to open a WWW thread? :ph34r:

But seriously what went wrong?

Is the title of the movie too unclear?

Bad reception of SS?

Lame trailers?

Lack of proper marketing?

Are people starting to get tired of CBMs? :ph34r:

Bad Boys stealing the spotlight?

Should have been a straightforward Harley Quinn film, should have been pg13, should have worked harder to get an audience in, shouldn’t have aesthetically made it similar to SS, shouldn’t have alienated male audience.

• Like 1

The problem with BOP wasn’t its rating.  Deadpool (and it’s sequel), Joker and Logan all showed that an R-rating isn’t going to hinder a comic book movie’s box office the way we thought it would. And in fact can actually help the movie’s box office. We can all agree that those movies were good because they were able to expand past that PG-13 rating. I imagine BOP is in the same boat where a PG-13 rating would probably hinder its quality. 

BOP was a poorly marketed movie with bad trailers and a character who we thought was more popular than she actually is. 

1 minute ago, FunkMiller said:

Should have been a straightforward Harley Quinn film, should have been pg13, should have worked harder to get an audience in, shouldn’t have aesthetically made it similar to SS, shouldn’t have alienated male audience.

So should have done everything to make it not the good film we got.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FunkMiller said:

I would replace your final point with better marketing but overall I agree.

• Like 1

Morning PS numbers for Birds of Prey OD.

MTC1 - overall 4173 shows 61980/843826 979589.69

MTC2 - overall 3967 shows 33094/650664 382820.18 

Numbers look grim to me. its doing well in NYC/LA but otherwise there is no interest. I wonder how bad this could get. Worst case high 20's OW. Most probably in low 30's and best case mid to high 30's. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. I will track till day 2 and then stop. Hopefully Sonic breaks out next weekend(40m+ over 4 days). 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 10
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 2

I've said this before but in terms of priorities, BOP was on the low side, WB's attention is focused on Wonder Woman 1984 which will likely make them big bucks but also costs a lot more as well. 

Even if BOP doesn't make a ton of money, I can't imagine it'll stop WB making R rated DC films especially considering how successful Joker was but I think they'll pick the projects more carefully.