TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

Morning PS numbers for Birds of Prey OD.

MTC1 - overall 4173 shows 61980/843826 979589.69

MTC2 - overall 3967 shows 33094/650664 382820.18 

Numbers look grim to me. its doing well in NYC/LA but otherwise there is no interest. I wonder how bad this could get. Worst case high 20's OW. Most probably in low 30's and best case mid to high 30's. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. I will track till day 2 and then stop. Hopefully Sonic breaks out next weekend(40m+ over 4 days). 

As always, thank you. Your gut / analysis has been spot on for this film sadly

14 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Should have been a straightforward Harley Quinn film, should have been pg13, should have worked harder to get an audience in, shouldn’t have aesthetically made it similar to SS, shouldn’t have alienated male audience.

it had 58% male attendance yesterday. How much more did you expect? 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Too early to open a WWW thread? :ph34r:

But seriously what went wrong?

Is the title of the movie too unclear?

Bad reception of SS?

Lame trailers?

Lack of proper marketing?

Are people starting to get tired of CBMs? :ph34r:

Bad Boys stealing the spotlight?

Not sticking close to the source material.

Giving too much control to an overrated actress.

Horrible marketing.

Could’ve used a more seasoned geek friendly director to excite the nerds.

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Serpico Jones said:

Horrible marketing.

Robbie was keen - not unreasonably so - to move Harley away from being the overly sexualised Joker sidekick, into something a little more three dimensional. I guess it comes down to how much of the character’s appeal stems from her popularity as a figure of the male gaze.

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

People are trying to find a whole host of excuses. It simply audience apathy. Turns out people don’t care as much about Harley Quinn as much as some were lead to believe. 

I still think the Suicide Squad connection is the biggest reason by far. In exactly the same way Justice League did badly because BvS was so very, very terrible. Despite great movies in between (Wonder Woman, Joker) the stench of the original DCEU was too much to overcome. I’m continually baffled as to why they made Birds look so much like Suicide Squad.

1 minute ago, FunkMiller said:

Robbie was keen - not unreasonably so - to move Harley away from being the overly sexualised Joker sidekick, into something a little more three dimensional. I guess it comes down to how much of the character’s appeal stems from her popularity as a figure of the male gaze.

It’s not just Harley Quinn. None of the characters in this movie are anywhere close to what they are in the comics. Black Mask is a cold and calculating villain/mafia boss, in this movie he looks and behaves like Elton John on his day off. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Serpico Jones said:

It’s not just Harley Quinn. None of the characters in this movie are anywhere close to what they are in the comics. Black Mask is a cold and calculating villain/mafia boss, in this movie he looks and behaves like Elton John on his day off. 

Fair point. The Sionis characterisation is absolutely terrible when compared to the comics. 

And how you can seriously pitch a crime movie in Gotham, and not have bloody BATMAN turn up is beyond me. Let’s not forget he’s the real reason all of these characters are popular in the first place!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

How does that compare to comic book movies as a whole? 

average. CM had over 60% male attendance. CBM movies still skew male. WW had 56% female attendance from what I remember and Aquaman was popular with ladies for very obvious reason. :)

Edited by Valonqar

17 minutes ago, Serpico Jones said:

Horrible marketing.

The Joker didn’t stick close to the source material and made billions. The director is also not a seasoned geek friendly director, his most notable films were Hangover (and their garbage sequels) and Starsky and Hutch. Captain America and the last two Avenger movies were directed by the duo behind You Me and Dupree.

Also the idea of sticking close to source material for comic book movies is also ridiculous. The audience that have ever read a comic book would be in the low single digits (and I’m certain most of them stopped reading comics in the late 1980s). 
Being “close to the source material” for comic movies is waste of time and I probably think of dozens of great CBM’s that are incredibly disassociated with their source.

38 minutes ago, Nova said:

The problem with BOP wasn’t its rating.  Deadpool (and it’s sequel), Joker and Logan all showed that an R-rating isn’t going to hinder a comic book movie’s box office the way we thought it would. And in fact can actually help the movie’s box office. We can all agree that those movies were good because they were able to expand past that PG-13 rating. I imagine BOP is in the same boat where a PG-13 rating would probably hinder its quality. 

BOP was a poorly marketed movie with bad trailers and a character who we thought was more popular than she actually is. 

It is a problem when your target audience is teenage females. At least teenage males are more likely to be interested in R rated movies and ask their parents to take them. The 58% male audience is evidence of that actually.

Edited by TheUndertaker