TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

32 minutes ago, AJG said:

The Joker didn’t stick close to the source material and made billions. The director is also not a seasoned geek friendly director, his most notable films were Hangover (and their garbage sequels) and Starsky and Hutch. Captain America and the last two Avenger movies were directed by the duo behind You Me and Dupree.

Also the idea of sticking close to source material for comic book movies is also ridiculous. The audience that have ever read a comic book would be in the low single digits (and I’m certain most of them stopped reading comics in the late 1980s). 
Being “close to the source material” for comic movies is waste of time and I probably think of dozens of great CBM’s that are incredibly disassociated with their source.

So focusing on what makes the heroes resonate and work as characters is a waste of time?

Does anyone want to go back to the Deadpool from X-men Origins or stick with the purist version?

Edited by grey ghost

Just like to throw out there that I have a Sonic > BoP dom and ww club that (seems to be) looking pretty good so far. If anyone would like to join, I think I'll make the cut-off the Wednesday before Sonic releases. Those like @Arendelle Legion got in before any BoP official numbers were released, would anyone else like to join based off what we're seeing so far? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

"The best part of a bad movie" doesn't really sound like a great reason to pay to see another movie. 

Agreed. people twist themselves into a pretzel explaining how a certain second movie in a certain trilogy sunk a certain spin-off and its own sequel at the boxoffice, but somehow don't credit SS enough for BoP underperformance at least on its opening night (we'll see if WOM starts kicking in).  Like you said, the movie was bad and being the best thing in a bad movie is not exactly the best draw. I admit I thought BoP would overcome it for it obviously was not a SS sequel but I guess not. At least for now. word could spread that it isn't trash like SS and thus is worthy of seeing at the cinema.

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don't think the R rating had anything to do with how the movie's doing. Why should Deadpool/Logan/Joker be able to do well with an R rating but not a Harley Quinn movie? It's not like all of a sudden all of Harley's fans are 14 years old. I really do think it comes down to WB overestimating her popularity. Sure, she was probably the best part of Suicide Squad. But people still didn't really like that movie overall.

"The best part of a bad movie" doesn't really sound like a great reason to pay to see another movie. I never saw Cats, so I don't really know whether this actor was good or not in the movie, but let's say "Ian McKellen was very good in Cats". It's not like people are going to automatically flock to see a Cats spin-off starring his character. 

Harley's a great character but she works better in an ensemble or as a supporting character. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So focusing on what makes the heroes resonate and work as characters is a waste of time?

Does anyone want to go back to the Deadpool from X-men Origins or stick with the purist version?

Sticking to Source Material, especially in the nonsense fanboy manner we see on this site, doesn’t matter.

Fanboys were upset about the original Spider-Man films. The original xmen films. The Dark Knight films. Guardians of the Galaxy. Thor Ragnarok. The list goes on.

Constantly hammering us with vapid “source material” complaints: the costumes are too leather, Spidey’s too serious, now he’s too funny, this shouldn’t come from his wrist, He doesn’t look like the Joker, Wolverine’s too short etc. 

3 minutes ago, BeastByTheBay said:

I will say Harley's solo outings are pretty new. She's more so associated with either Joker, Suicide Squad or Gotham City Sirens 

99.9% of people don't know who Gotham City Sirens are. I don't think this movie would be doing much better if it was a "GCS" movie instead of a "BoP" movie to be honest. 

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Harley's a great character but she works better in an ensemble or as a supporting character. 

Totally agree. Not that this movie doesn't work (I'm seeing it Tuesday hopefully) but it's sort of like the reason you don't make a Minions movie (although I guess that paid off financially to be fair). 

11 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

People keep talking about Harley Quinn’s popularity being overestimated. I don’t think the problem with Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn) was Harley Quinn. 

Yes but the movie wasn't selling audiences on a team-up movie. The trailers gave no indication as to why we should care about any of the other Birds of Prey. It was sold purely as a Harley Quinn movie. 

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Agreed. people twist themselves into a pretzel explaining how a certain second movie in a certain trilogy sunk a certain spin-off and its own sequel at the boxoffice, but somehow don't credit SS enough for BoP underperformance at least on its opening night (we'll see if WOM starts kicking in).  Like you said, the movie was bad and being the best thing in a bad movie is not exactly the best draw. I admit I thought BoP would overcome it for it obviously was not a SS sequel but I guess not. At least for now. word could spread that it isn't trash like SS and thus is worthy of seeing at the cinema.

I'll admit, I do kinda enjoy Suicide Squad myself, but I know most people really didn't. 

Another reason the movie might have unperformed:  people, especially those inclined to go see a female lead action movie, don't like seeing men mistreat women.

When a movie markets itself as "tackling misogyny", you know what is guaranteed to be in the movie?  misogyny.  Men mistreating women.

From what I have heard about BOP, every single man in the movie mistreats women.  I guarantee you this turned off people otherwise excited about the movie.

Edited by cedec0
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

Another reason the movie might have unperformed:  people, especially those inclined to go see a female lead action movie, don't like seeing men mistreat women.

When a movie markets itself as "tackling misogyny", you know what is guaranteed to be in the movie?  misogyny.  Men mistreating women.

From what I have heard about BOP, every single man in the movie mistreats women.  I guarantee you this turned off people otherwise excited about the movie.

Basic point is here is that BOP marketed itself heavily as a movie where men mistreat women.  That doesn't seem very popular outside LA/NYC.

The film would have greatly benefited from a strong female villain, with competent, good supporting male characters.

In other words... exactly what WW84 is doing, and that’s likely to be a smash hit because of it.

You don’t draw a male demographic by making all men look like irredeemable b*****ds. 

Edited by FunkMiller