Jump to content
TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

Recommended Posts

On 12/8/2019 at 12:25 PM, eddyxx said:

This movies total gross...over or under Suicide Squad's OW?

 

I think this will do 40m OW, 120m domestic, and about 300m worldwide.

 

On 12/8/2019 at 12:38 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Why is this going to open lower than Shazam?

 

On 12/8/2019 at 12:56 PM, eddyxx said:

I just think the marketing is non existent for a movie that is releasing in less than 2 months from now.  

 

 

:Gaga:

  • Like 1
  • Astonished 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with most people that the easiest explanation for the somewhat underwhelming numbers is that Harley Quinn's popularity coming of Suicide Squad was overestimated and it looked too much like Suicide Squad and marketed focused soley on her. Ultimately it's still good numbers because the budget was reasonable but i dont expect anymore harley quinn movies for awhile.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the presales for Friday looking depressing too and the BS I'm saying on this forum right now like "maybe this movie should have been rated G" and "maybe they should have made Harley Quinn a one dimensional sex object" and "the movie should have been a completely different, studio driven movie (clearly some people here think they should have made decisions based on what audiences and the studio will like)", I'm probably going to leave the forum for a while because I'm just going to spend too much time arguing with these people otherwise. I might return next weekend if numbers look good but idk, it's just pretty depressing to see a movie I love being rejected by so many people. Im definitely not going on r/boxoffice until The Invisible Man (a film I'm excited for) comes out because that shithole is a mess right now.

 

I will probably look at the BOT top 25 of 2019 sometime later this week but that's it. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 3
  • ...wtf 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pepsa said:

After reading the last 10 pages I just want to say $250m woudn't be a succes.

People were saying Shazam wasn't a succes and that made $360m with $15m more in budget.

 

Taking 100m DOM / 150m OS => $112m in revenue. 

So it covers the buget, streaming release + dvd/blue ray, tv rights and merch will make sure this will make a profit, but calling it a succes? It's a worse Shazam a worse ant man and the wasp etc.

 

BOP: $112m rev vs $85m (1.32 times)

AMATW: $258m rev vs $162m (1.59 times)

Shazam: $157m rev vs 100m budget (1.57 times)

Well to say it simply, Shazam was a success and more and so was AM2, and so will BOP be.

Quote

 

And Shazam and AMATW weren't that succesfull as well (they are seen as the low low end, making a small profit). If you see succes as making money then yep in the end it will end up making a profit but not a I cover all my costs with the boxoffice revenue succes.

 

Those are few, and get the acclaim of being big hits. BOP won't get that tag but at bare minimum it will be tagged a success with the numbers you used.

 

Edited by a2k
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

The film would have greatly benefited from a strong female villain, with competent, good supporting male characters.

In other words... exactly what WW84 is doing, and that’s likely to be a smash hit because of it.

Maxwell Lord is the main villain, Cheetah is secondary, like the last time around. But Barbara will be more fleshed out before turning into a villain, unlike Dr. Psycho.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

With the presales for Friday looking depressing too and the BS I'm saying on this forum right now like "maybe this movie should have been rated G" and "maybe they should have made Harley Quinn a one dimensional sex object" and "the movie should have been a completely different, studio driven movie (clearly some people here think they should have made decisions based on what audiences and the studio will like)", I'm probably going to leave the forum for a while because I'm just going to spend too much time arguing with these people otherwise. I might return next weekend if numbers look good but idk, it's just pretty depressing to see a movie I love being rejected by so many people. Im definitely not going on r/boxoffice until The Invisible Man (a film I'm excited for) comes out because that shithole is a mess right now.

 

I will probably look at the BOT top 25 of 2019 sometime later this week but that's it. 

All the best. This happens. 

I was also really sad when Fantastic Beasts 2 underperformed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Why do people assume that Barbara is a draw ? Outside of the core fan base, a lot of the GA don’t tell the difference between catwoman and batgirl. And Selina is way bigger bc of Nolan 

 bc242260b73d5ba3c6eed9c919441a2b.gif

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, pepsa said:

After reading the last 10 pages I just want to say $250m woudn't be a succes.

People were saying Shazam wasn't a succes and that made $360m with $15m more in budget.

What some "people" say is an argument? Shazam made a profit, and was evidently a success since Warner is considering a sequel.

Higher expectations in the superhero genre don't change what counts as a success (or a flop) financially.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Audiences have spoken! These movies should be more serious and dramatic like Joker rather than tongue in cheek parodies like Shazam and Birds of Prey 

"Deadpool" says Hi...

 

And we have gone the everything in the DCU has to be serious, dramatic and gritty route before, and that did not work either.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

 bc242260b73d5ba3c6eed9c919441a2b.gif

I like Nolan, but that Nolan made Catwomen big is just plain stupid. Catwoman was a hugely popular character before TDKR. Michell Pffeifer;s Catwoman in  "Batman Returns" pretty much stole the show.  Selina Kyle has always been right behind the Joker in terms of popularity in in the Batman world. THat is why Nolan wanted to use her in the film.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Why do people assume that Barbara is a draw ? Outside of the core fan base, a lot of the GA don’t tell the difference between catwoman and batgirl. And Selina is way bigger bc of Nolan 

I don’t think Barbara is the draw of BoP. I think BoP doesn’t draw, and this is going to do less than a Harley Quinn solo act would by virtue of being titled Bird of Prey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

should have been pg13

Maybe according to deadline (or went even more all-in targeting older crowd a la Logan):

 

Those 13- to 17-year olds who were able to buy a ticket really loved it at 94%, but they only made up 7% of the audience

 

Will probably adjust has soon has friday night and not sure how accurate but the previews were quite male heavy:

 

Thursday night’s mix on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak was 40% guys over 25, 26% females over 25, 18% males under 25 and 17% females under 25.

 

57.2-42.5 split, will see but maybe put more element woman often like could have helped if you target them (a love story and a sexsymbol like they did in WW/Hunger Game/Twilight/etc...)

Edited by Barnack
  • Astonished 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott Mendelson's FRIEND thinks this movie could make 300 million domestic thanks to good legs ( like Aquaman and Wonder Woman and Joker )

 

Very bad trolling from this guy ( who is related to Scott ). I'm disappointed

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbean/2020/02/07/box-office-birds-of-prey-1-billion-dc/#3d30c3a48953

 

"It seems all but certain that Harley Quinn will at least crack the top ten. And if the film can approach the $300 million mark domestically, then the film could very well near Wonder Woman territory."

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Haha 11
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

categories

12 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

What some "people" say is an argument? Shazam made a profit, and was evidently a success since Warner is considering a sequel.

Higher expectations in the superhero genre don't change what counts as a success (or a flop) financially.

I think the problem is this:

 

1$ profit = succes

-1$ loss = flop

 

I think it's fair to say that the word 'succes' means more than just making a profit.

If we only have to 2 scales succes or flop you have movies like Avatar, Frozen, Jumanji and Bohemian rapsody in the same class as movies like Shazam and Ant Man and the wasp or hack even a $400m Badboys movie.

 

So no I am not going by 'what some people say' I am just using more than 2 cathogories to dethermine how succesfull a movie was. Not just black and white.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.