TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Wut?

Infinity War Saga feels like an updated version of the comics.

It's definitely a love letter to the comics like most of the MCU.

MCU isn't comic accurate because it is updating the source material. 

Some new things and some old. Marvel Studios knows what they are doing at this point. 

Recent example : They did Kree-Skrull but updated it with twists. It's basically same if you read comics. 

53 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

With the presales for Friday looking depressing too and the BS I'm saying on this forum right now like "maybe this movie should have been rated G" and "maybe they should have made Harley Quinn a one dimensional sex object" and "the movie should have been a completely different, studio driven movie (clearly some people here think they should have made decisions based on what audiences and the studio will like)", I'm probably going to leave the forum for a while because I'm just going to spend too much time arguing with these people otherwise. I might return next weekend if numbers look good but idk, it's just pretty depressing to see a movie I love being rejected by so many people. Im definitely not going on r/boxoffice until The Invisible Man (a film I'm excited for) comes out because that shithole is a mess right now.

I will probably look at the BOT top 25 of 2019 sometime later this week but that's it. 

You don't know true pain. Try being a MOS fanboy back when it came out. What a nightmare 

7 minutes ago, kitik said:

hmm, that seems awful

The coronavirus effect on box office is going to become worse before it becomes better. (Not that BOP was going to make much more without the virus, it was always a poorly aimed film.) I'm even afraid that at some point some countries will start shutting down theaters. (Hope not.) And that could have a lasting negative effect on the movie-going public well into the summer, affecting Black Widow, F9, and WW84.

what has the coronavirus got to do with birds of prey? This isn't even getting a China rlease.

2nd Update, Midday: It’s not looking so spectacular for Warner Bros.’ Harley Quinn movie Birds of Prey which is seeing a Friday of $12.6M, and opening weekend around $33.5M. Finance sources prefer to wait until overseas figures come in to determine whether this net $84.5M production is in the black (some argue with me that it’s much more). At $33.5M, Birds of Prey is under tracking’s $50M-$55M projection and under what Warners was hoping for, which was $45M.  We’ll give this DC Suicide Squad spinoff a chance to try and take off before we pluck its feathers in full, but I will say this: It’s a lazy R movie full of F bombs. It’s not edgy, ultraviolent and genre pushing like Deadpool, Logan, Joker, heck, even Watchmen. And by making this movie R, the studio has potentially sidelined the younger female skewing Harley Quinn fanbase (and there’s plenty from the cartoon series, not just Suicide Squad). Case in point: Last night teens made up a minority of moviegoers, yet loved the movie the most at 94%. Will they come out tonight? Will those great reviews and exit scores translate into bucks?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2

2 minutes ago, kitik said:

2nd Update, Midday: It’s not looking so spectacular for Warner Bros.’ Harley Quinn movie Birds of Prey which is seeing a Friday of $12.6M, and opening weekend around $33.5M. Finance sources prefer to wait until overseas figures come in to determine whether this net $84.5M production is in the black (some argue with me that it’s much more). At $33.5M, Birds of Prey is under tracking’s $50M-$55M projection and under what Warners was hoping for, which was $45M.  We’ll give this DC Suicide Squad spinoff a chance to try and take off before we pluck its feathers in full, but I will say this: It’s a lazy R movie full of F bombs. It’s not edgy, ultraviolent and genre pushing like Deadpool, Logan, Joker, heck, even Watchmen. And by making this movie R, the studio has potentially sidelined the younger female skewing Harley Quinn fanbase (and there’s plenty from the cartoon series, not just Suicide Squad). Case in point: Last night teens made up a minority of moviegoers, yet loved the movie the most at 94%. Will they come out tonight? Will those great reviews and exit scores translate into bucks?

You know you fucked up when even Deadline is calling you out. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, a2k said:

Well to say it simply, Shazam was a success and more and so was AM2, and so will BOP be.

Those are few, and get the acclaim of being big hits. BOP won't get that tag but at bare minimum it will be tagged a success with the numbers you used.

This makes 80% of movies a succes

So by that definition, I guess it is.

Edited by pepsa

16 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

No early numbers from deadline yet? Flop.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/birds-of-prey-weekend-box-office-margot-robbie-1202853768/

It’s not looking so spectacular for Warner Bros.’ Harley Quinn movie Birds of Prey which is seeing a Friday of $12.6M, and opening weekend around $33.5M.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I've read somewhere that recent studies show women largely prefer movies and shows with mixed male-female cast rather than all-male or all-female. However, if you look at social media, there's a big push for all-female this and that even though women apparently like it mixed (read: like to ogle ripped chads like Momoa or cute twinks like Chalamet, like romance). There's also big campaign to nix romance and introduce more female leads who don't need [to be in a relationship with] a man. So it seems to me that there's a discrepancy between what audience wants and what some circles insist that audience should want [but audience not necessarily does or ever will]. 

My take is that most people aka GA are centrist in nature, lean a bit left about some issues and a bit right about other issues but they are generally moderate in their views. the more a movie goes to either left or right extreme [translation: bashes one group to prop the other], the more limited the appeal of the movie. 

Tl;DR. Go Woke, Go Broke

6 minutes ago, kitik said:

We’ll give this DC Suicide Squad spinoff a chance to try and take off before we pluck its feathers in full, but I will say this: It’s a lazy R movie full of F bombs. It’s not edgy, ultraviolent and genre pushing like Deadpool, Logan, Joker, heck, even Watchmen.

A “professional” writer said this in the write up of a box office article. Clearly deadline is not biased at all. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1