TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

Sonic has the huge $4 ticket promotion and the family vibes, so unbelievably, I can't actually say that it has no shot of beating BoP.  Before the year, I'd have laughed at you.  Now, with this open, I give it 50/50 or better odds, depending on how much critics crush it (I mean, Dolittle pulled $21.8M getting absolutely crushed by critics and with ZERO ticket deal promotion, so Sonic has to go higher just based on having the deal, b/c its reviews can't be lower)...

30 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

If I was threadbanned from the BoP thread for my insistence that there was minimal audience demand for this film, I accept my vindication.

I can’t comment on your posts itself because I never read them (maybe they were trollish, maybe not) but I think this should be a lesson that we can’t shut down opinions that are “against the grain” on this forum by dismissing them as trolling. If someone legitimately thinks Tenet is going to bomb this summer, they should be free to express that opinion. While we think we can, box office isn’t always predictable.

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, Avatree said:

what has the coronavirus got to do with birds of prey? This isn't even getting a China rlease.

I agree ; coronavirus has crap to do with BOP underperforming.

Some people try to work whatever is big in the news into explanations of how a film is performing at the box office, usually without much in the way of proof.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

It will be bad. There are some reviews on letterboxd. Critics will trash it.  Plus, it's Paramount. They are cursed

Letterboxd user reviews aren't reliable. It's basically imdb 2.0

The Turning had tons of users giving it 5 stars because Finn Wolfhard was sexy.  That can't be surious.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I can’t comment on your posts itself because I never read them (maybe they were trollish, maybe not) but I think this should be a lesson that we can’t shut down opinions that are “against the grain” on this forum by dismissing them as trolling. If someone legitimately thinks Tenet is going to bomb this summer, they should be free to express that opinion. While we think we can, box office isn’t always predictable.

Unfortunately that's not how it works here, DAJK, as I've found. Certain opinions aren't allowed.

• Like 3

dude you weren't threadbanned for predicting a low box office gross, you were threadbanned because you kept repeating over and over again how much you didn't want to see the film. it's called poisoning the well and it's a bannable offence on these boards. (rightly or wrongly)

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 3

All the holdovers should thank BoP...originally, they were looking at a screen squeeze next weekend with the openers...but I gotta think, at this open, theaters will just drop their extra BoP screens and keep most holdovers (which aren't tragic) one more week, and they'll get an unexpected extra Valentine's Day and holiday weekend...

PS - Dolittle might be the biggest beneficiary, b/c it probably would have been a straight swap for Sonic, but now, theaters might keep it as the female all ages (3-103) drawing movie, b/c looking at the top 5, it probably is:)...amazingly, after its reviews and low open, it seems on a path to $80M DOM (or more)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, kitik said:

hmm, that seems awful

The coronavirus effect on box office is going to become worse before it becomes better. (Not that BOP was going to make much more without the virus, it was always a poorly aimed film.) I'm even afraid that at some point some countries will start shutting down theaters. (Hope not.) And that could have a lasting negative effect on the movie-going public well into the summer, affecting Black Widow, F9, and WW84.

Got news for you. Already happened in China over a week ago.

SO far, outside of China, coronavirus has had zero impact on movie box office. 

And it it reaches the point where it has a dramatic impact on box office in developed countries, no one will give a damn because we will have much,much more serious issues to deal with.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I think my observations were considered trollish in the eyes of 5-month old users who can’t stand to hear a word of negativity about [insert cinema franchise here]. One user in the TROS thread called me a troll because I had the gall to discuss the films box office performance in a thread he apparently throughly was exclusively to praise the film.... I know The Chad DC complained about my “bias” against BoP in that thread repeatedly instead of actually listening to what I had to say.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Got news for you. Already happened in China over a week ago.

SO far, outside of China, coronavirus has had zero impact on movie box office. 

And it it reaches the point where it has a dramatic impact on box office in developed countries, no one will give a damn because we will have much,much more serious issues to deal with.

That is not true. What I hear from south east asian markets like Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore etc have definite impacts. Box office would be subdued until it becomes a non issue. Not sure when that would happen.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Nova said:

A “professional” writer said this in the write up of a box office article. Clearly deadline is not biased at all. 

They aren’t biased against this movie, just bipolar. Very same movie they were painting in an unrealistically positive light mere hours earlier.