TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

It got to the point where nobody woulda batted an eyelash at

Disney’s 2019 WW slate < Pika previews 

Well, to be fair, Dis 2019 slate was kind of pathetic. It failed the 4B club, and the domestic gross couodn’t even beat the biggest movie of that same year by a measly 35%

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

10 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

A straight Harley Quinn film that didn’t bastardise Birds Of Prey might well have been a better pitch. 

Except Robbie specifically pitched a "Harley and her Girl Squad kick ass!!!" project to WB.

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am also missing a certain Disney vibe. May be they shall incorporate Disney castle in far background when lights & drum roll starts in logo.

You won't get a Disney vibe here. It's a label for their mature contents like that upcoming medieval rape movie from Damon and Affleck. There's also no Disney vibe in the logos of Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm.

• Like 1

I hate to say this, but so far this year all female led movies seem to be flopping. In my country India, two local films starring A list female actors flopped at box office even after getting good reviews. The rhythm section and now BOP in Hollywood seem to be the new casualties. Makes you wonder...

Just now, marveldcfox said:

I hate to say this, but so far this year all female led movies seem to be flopping. In my country India, two local films starring A list female actors flopped at box office even after getting good reviews. The rhythm section and now BOP in Hollywood seem to be the new casualties. Makes you wonder...

Black Widow will make money, but not sure on Mulan. Especially without China

3 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Man of Steel is the best comic book movie of modern cinema, Joker aside.

I'd agree with this if not for the ending. A follow up scene showing Clark agonising over Zod's death, and then a sequence showing him help rebuild Metropolis would have made it perfect in my book. 

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

Black Widow will make money, but not sure on Mulan. Especially without China

Black Widow is going to be big hit in India. 

FF9, Bond and Black Widow are going to be huge in India. 

Eternals also has the potential. 

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Black Widow is going to be big hit in India. 

FF9, Bond and Black Widow are going to be huge in India. 

Eternals also has the potential. 

I was talking about worldwide 🤦‍♂️ 

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

good reviews

Chappak had middling reviews so it lost battle there.

Kangana ain't A List star.

Also Female stars have no star value in India. Deepika the biggest female star in India, will have a smaller box office clout than someone like Ayushmann Khurana who ain't in Top 10 stars.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Chappak had middling reviews so it lost battle there.

Kangana ain't A List star.

Also Female stars have no star value in India. Deepika the biggest female star in India, will have a smaller box office clout than someone like Ayushmann Khurana who ain't in Top 10 stars.

If Shubh Mangal Zyada Savdhaan becomes hit Ayushmann will be very big brand. 

21 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Very few female-led movies get success in India. 

The one that are sold on sex-appeal or big budget.

This piece, 2 years ago.

Spoiler

Heroine oriented films have always found it difficult to take big openings in India. When you look at the ₹10 crore opening day grossers at all India level, you are just left with six films. Dirty Picture, Jism 2, Ragini MMS 2, Tanu Weds Manu Returns, Dear Zindagi and Rudhramadevi to name them. Out of these six films, one was a sequel to earlier popular film, the other two had the presence of top stars in special roles while the other three had sex selling them.

Breaking this myth a film has made into the ₹10 crore opening day club for the first time in the form of Bhaagamathie without any of these so called factors. Anushka Shetty is one heroine down south who has earned a following of her own and her presence in Baahubali franchise has added to it. The horror thriller grossed ₹10.88 crore on its opening day in India. It grossed ₹7.68 crore from Telugu states while Karnataka and North India contributed around ₹1.15 crore. The Tamil dub version of the film also managed to bring respectable figures from Tamil Nadu and Kerala with a cume of ₹2.05 crore.

Following are the Top 10 Opening Day Grossers for Female Oriented Films.

1. The Dirty picture :  ₹12.90 Crores

2. Rudramadevi :  ₹12.40 Crores

3. Dear Zindagi :  ₹11.75 Crores

4. Tanu Weds Manu Returns :  ₹11.73 Crores

5. Bhagamathie :  ₹10.88 Crores

6. Ragini MMS 2 :  ₹10.75 Crores

7. Jism 2 :  ₹10.09 Crores

8. Mary Kom :  ₹9.95cr Crores

9. Heroine :  ₹9.35 Crores

10. Piku :  ₹7.12 Crores

• Sad 1