TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

BIRDS OF PREY (2020)B+

Meant to say before I went to go see Harriet that I expected a B+, so doesn't surprise me to be honest. 

Same grade as Suicide Squad

Above BvS (B)

Below Aquaman (A-) and Shazam (A)

Same as Joker

6 minutes ago, a2k said:

Birds of Prey

Critics 82%

• Average Rating: 6.79/10
  • Total Count: 240
  • Fresh: 196 
  • Rotten: 44

Verified Aud 85%

• Average Rating:  4.23
  • Total Count: 1,655

So, in the end same reviews as Captain Marvel. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eddyxx said:

tenor.gif

Suicide Squad was so hilariously awful that I spent the entire movie literally crying with laughter. Every little thing set me off: Harleen's swandive, Enchantress' wiggly dance, Slipknot losing his head, Cap'n Boomerang's sparkly unicorn, etc., etc. I love that movie! Best comedy since Prometheus is what it was.

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

They brought it back for the CW crisis crossover

I had heard about all the crossovers in Crisis but hadn't seen any clips. It actually looks interesting. I'll have to check it out for BOP, Routh's Kingdom Come Superman and other neat callbacks. Hopefully they righted some wrongs from past movies and shows.

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh it’s the same trolls who went for Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Charlie’s Angels and Captain Marvel. Not specific to Marvel fans. 

They’re probably only fans of xbox games and Trump. 

They also went for ThoRag when they realised it was going to be an out and out comedy. 

So it's not just about gender

I was busy this evening and so I dont have late numbers. But I did trigger a run that finished at 730PM where MTC1 was 136K and MTC2 did 104K by then. May be 260K finish between the 2 MTC. I think 9m true friday is possible if it did well at other locations. But theater reports dont look good to me. Either way its a big disappointment. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

Dying as in global BO just hit an all-time high last year?

China missing from the WW box office for months plus a weaker Disney slate is going to mean that this year is down significantly though, hopefully we see a rebound in 2021 though. 

Having actually seen it, I don't blame marketing as much anymore. I really don't think they had anything of value to sell, so being confused in their message isn't as unexpected. 

Didn't think it was bad per se, just...pointless?Muddled storytelling structure that only served to make it more obvious it was emulating the first Deadpool, though it still managed to be fairly boring for the first half of the movie. 

Deadpool-lite continues with a lot of swearing and violence that SHOULD be entertaining yet isn't. The fights lack any real phisicality, despite the John Wick inspiration. They don't feel real, they lack impact and the violence alone would probably not be enough for an R rating. And that's the other issue - I said before I don't think the rating had an impact on the performance and I still think that, with the note that the movie isn't really embracing that rating. After Deadpool did the shock violence for humorous effect and Logan for dramatic purposes, this was lost so where in the middle.

The movie's not funny, the violence isn't so over the top you can have fun with it, the dramatic scenes don't have much impact because you're not invested in these paper-thin characters that once again have to be introduced with actual on-screen text... 

The marketing was bad because this movie really had nothing to sell. For all its faults, SS had Joker, Batman and Will Smith, plus large scale action to sell (and sell well the trailers did). This... Zilch. 

I'm glad the overall reception is OK, as I want DC to stop being the punching bag it's been in recent years despite them righting the ship, but by God was I disappointed in this, following the reviews. I was expecting crazy action, humor and violence and all I got was sick of hearing Margot Robbie's voice. Aside from being mostly bored, the biggest takeaway was... What a waste of Ewan McGregor. 

A better made film overall than the likes of SS, JL and BvS, but I found this to be the least entertaining movie DC has made since Catwoman. I just have zero interest in rewatching this, whereas even with the bad ones, there's either hilarious entertainment value or certain scenes that I enjoy. This is just... Instantly forgettable. 

• Like 14
    • Thanks 1
    • ...wtf 1
    • Knock It Off 4

24 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Having actually seen it, I don't blame marketing as much anymore. I really don't think they had anything of value to sell, so being confused in their message isn't as unexpected. 

Didn't think it was bad per se, just...pointless?Muddled storytelling structure that only served to make it more obvious it was emulating the first Deadpool, though it still managed to be fairly boring for the first half of the movie. 

Deadpool-lite continues with a lot of swearing and violence that SHOULD be entertaining yet isn't. The fights lack any real phisicality, despite the John Wick inspiration. They don't feel real, they lack impact and the violence alone would probably not be enough for an R rating. And that's the other issue - I said before I don't think the rating had an impact on the performance and I still think that, with the note that the movie isn't really embracing that rating. After Deadpool did the shock violence for humorous effect and Logan for dramatic purposes, this was lost so where in the middle.

The movie's not funny, the violence isn't so over the top you can have fun with it, the dramatic scenes don't have much impact because you're not invested in these paper-thin characters that once again have to be introduced with actual on-screen text... 

The marketing was bad because this movie really had nothing to sell. For all its faults, SS had Joker, Batman and Will Smith, plus large scale action to sell (and sell well the trailers did). This... Zilch. 

I'm glad the overall reception is OK, as I want DC to stop being the punching bag it's been in recent years despite them righting the ship, but by God was I disappointed in this, following the reviews. I was expecting crazy action, humor and violence and all I got was sick of hearing Margot Robbie's voice. Aside from being mostly bored, the biggest takeaway was... What a waste of Ewan McGregor. 

A better made film overall than the likes of SS, JL and BvS, but I found this to be the least entertaining movie DC has made since Catwoman. I just have zero interest in rewatching this, whereas even with the bad ones, there's either hilarious entertainment value or certain scenes that I enjoy. This is just... Instantly forgettable. 

Shame to hear that :( I still think it's something that I should see for myself though, but a lot of what you said here is what I was scared of from the trailers so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I thought the film was a solid 8/10 but I can see why its not performing well too.  People still don't trust DC and honestly WB/Warner Media as a whole. 

The Snyder era DCEU might have permanently damaged DC and WB as a studio. 

Disney of course has ruthlessly exploited this. 

• ...wtf 1
    • Disbelief 1