TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

And remember, she's not just the star of the movie - the whole thing is her baby. She pitched it, co-produced it, insisted on a female director and even had a hand in the writing. So while she may outwardly shrug it off and giggle her way to the next paycheck and puff piece, behind the scenes this failure must surely be a big blow to Robbie Inc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, ZackM said:

Around 3.3M for BB today.

If this number holds we get:

Friday: $3.3m (+191%)  (-36.4%)

Sat:      $6.27m (+90%)  (-35.1%)

Sun:     $3.76m (-40%)  (+33.3%)

Weekend Total:  $13.33m (-24.6%)

TOT: $167.65m

John Wick 3:

4th weekend: $7.42m

TOT: $138.68m

Finished with $171m, so it did $32m more. BB only needs to match the JW3 numbers from now on to end over $200m.

Starting from next week JW3 weekdays will be stronger than BB's, weekends should easily be in favour of BBFL.

Also next weekend probably will see another small drop because of the 4day holiday weekend.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Having actually seen it, I don't blame marketing as much anymore. I really don't think they had anything of value to sell, so being confused in their message isn't as unexpected. 

Didn't think it was bad per se, just...pointless?Muddled storytelling structure that only served to make it more obvious it was emulating the first Deadpool, though it still managed to be fairly boring for the first half of the movie. 

Deadpool-lite continues with a lot of swearing and violence that SHOULD be entertaining yet isn't. The fights lack any real phisicality, despite the John Wick inspiration. They don't feel real, they lack impact and the violence alone would probably not be enough for an R rating. And that's the other issue - I said before I don't think the rating had an impact on the performance and I still think that, with the note that the movie isn't really embracing that rating. After Deadpool did the shock violence for humorous effect and Logan for dramatic purposes, this was lost so where in the middle.

The movie's not funny, the violence isn't so over the top you can have fun with it, the dramatic scenes don't have much impact because you're not invested in these paper-thin characters that once again have to be introduced with actual on-screen text... 

The marketing was bad because this movie really had nothing to sell. For all its faults, SS had Joker, Batman and Will Smith, plus large scale action to sell (and sell well the trailers did). This... Zilch. 

I'm glad the overall reception is OK, as I want DC to stop being the punching bag it's been in recent years despite them righting the ship, but by God was I disappointed in this, following the reviews. I was expecting crazy action, humor and violence and all I got was sick of hearing Margot Robbie's voice. Aside from being mostly bored, the biggest takeaway was... What a waste of Ewan McGregor. 

A better made film overall than the likes of SS, JL and BvS, but I found this to be the least entertaining movie DC has made since Catwoman. I just have zero interest in rewatching this, whereas even with the bad ones, there's either hilarious entertainment value or certain scenes that I enjoy. This is just... Instantly forgettable. 

I'm guessing you don't work for the Verge

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jamiem said:

China missing from the WW box office for months plus a weaker Disney slate is going to mean that this year is down significantly though, hopefully we see a rebound in 2021 though. 

@DlAMONDZ claimed that the film industry is a dying industry. Based on what???

3 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Damn only a B+ Cinemascore for BOP

.... that’s the same as Joker. 

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a B+. It’s actually solid. 

Seems like a good reaction from audiences to me, RT audience score, Cinemascore, post track via Deadline. Lines up with the positive critic reviews too. 

48 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

I thought the film was a solid 8/10 but I can see why its not performing well too.  People still don't trust DC and honestly WB/Warner Media as a whole. 

The Snyder era DCEU might have permanently damaged DC and WB as a studio. 

Disney of course has ruthlessly exploited this. 

Finally. I was waiting for someone blaming Disney for BOP's failure:hahaha:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

@DlAMONDZ claimed that the film industry is a dying industry. Based on what???

In some ways it is dying in some markets as far as theatrical, for instance domestic market has seen attendance decrease but ticket prices and population increases have somewhat offset that. Overall the growth of markets in mainly Asia has lead to an overall increase in box office though, there is actually an interesting article I read on this earlier today: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-07/hollywood-box-office-numbers-surge-even-as-americans-stay-home

But yeah if you remove the theatrical aspect and look purely at the film sector as a whole it is growing which is the opposite of a dying industry. 

Edited by Jamiem

1 hour ago, Warmaster506 said:

I thought the film was a solid 8/10 but I can see why its not performing well too.  People still don't trust DC and honestly WB/Warner Media as a whole. 

That's why Aquaman and WW (Snyder wrote this btw) did so bad, right? So no, the Snyder era was great. (MoS and BvS UE are among the best cbm ever for me) We were lucky to have this guy. And you all can keep hating. Honestly, it's just pathetic. BoP (and Shazam) flopped because people just don't like these movies. You need to accept it and stop blaming Snyder, Ayer or anyone else. Grow up already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 2

1 hour ago, Fielding said:

And remember, she's not just the star of the movie - the whole thing is her baby. She pitched it, co-produced it, insisted on a female director and even had a hand in the writing. So while she may outwardly shrug it off and giggle her way to the next paycheck and puff piece, behind the scenes this failure must surely be a big blow to Robbie Inc.

Yeah I love Margot, but there is no denying that. 

8 minutes ago, dcmos said:

That's why Aquaman and WW (Snyder wrote this btw) did so bad, right? So no, the Snyder era was great. (MoS and BvS UE are among the best cbm ever for me) We were lucky to have this guy. And you all can keep hating. Honestly, it's just pathetic. BoP (and Shazam) flopped because people just don't like these movies. You need to accept it and stop blaming Snyder, Ayer or anyone else. Grow up already.

If you can look at it objectively, I think it’s fair enough to say that while the Snyder era films have their fans - and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that - overall, the direction he went in was the wrong one. This is borne out by the critical and commercial results. And everything that continues to actively build on that direction suffers for it. Wonder Woman did everything it could to create its own identity, as did Aquaman. BoP didn’t, and is being punished for it. I don’t understand why Shazam didn’t do better - other than its lack of popularity as a comic, and its similarity to Superman. 

12 minutes ago, dcmos said:

That’s why BvS had a sub-2x multiplier, right? :hahaha:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dcmos said:

Yeah, Shazam and Birds Of Prey look cheap and have no stakes. That's the problem with these movies. Not the DC brand. If anything Shazam and Birds Of Prey didn't capture the DC brand. You have hosts on TV calling them Marvel movies lol 

48 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

.... that’s the same as Joker. 

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a B+. It’s actually solid. 

Seems like a good reaction from audiences to me, RT audience score, Cinemascore, post track via Deadline. Lines up with the positive critic reviews too. 

Yeah but Joker is a dark and heavy character study. Birds of Prey is fun and action packed. I really enjoyed the movie and hoped at least A-. When I saw on Thursday the theater didn’t seem to be into it sadly 

13 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Yeah, Shazam and Birds Of Prey look cheap and have no stakes. That's the problem with these movies. Not the DC brand. If anything Shazam and Birds Of Prey didn't capture the DC brand. You have hosts on TV calling them Marvel movies lol 

Which hosts?

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yeah but Joker is a dark and heavy character study. Birds of Prey is fun and action packed. I really enjoyed the movie and hoped at least A-. When I saw on Thursday the theater didn’t seem to be into it sadly 

Jokers more nominated than any other film at the Oscars this year. 

No one is going to say a B+ is remotely bad. 

1 hour ago, Warmaster506 said:

Nah. Ya'll can't blame Snyder or Ayer. They had nothing to do with this

That narrative that the DC brand is in a better place now thanks to Snyder being gone is dead tho 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

I'm guessing you don't work for the Verge

Ha. Indeed not. Unless I'm undercover... :ph34r:

Look, at the end of the day...all the more power to anyone that enjoyed it. As I said, I don't think it's necessarily bad, but I'm confused as to what exactly it's trying to be. Well, it's definitely a message of female empowerment, and I suspect that's the reason some publications will review it positively whereas Joker received criticism. And it definitely has some value in that, don't get me wrong (just like Joker has A LOT of issues with it that don't boil down to "incels!"). But even on that front... it's just flat. Like, everything else aside, the action was just uninspired for me. 

I kept reading reviews and impressions about the "crazy" action and stunts, and how the evidence room scene is such an awesome baseball bat-wielding action sequence and I was sitting there, waiting for this to ramp up, to see some of that John Wick goodness, but aside from some very short moments, that goodness never came. 

I'm sure some would call me sexist, but these women just aren't believable as action heroes for the most part. Like, Montoya is beating up a guy three times her size! And it's not down to agility, or technique or sheer dumb luck - she's just punching hard?! Harley flips around a lot in slo mo and people go flying when she kicks them, but the kicks themselves look like they would barely move a football.

These aren't super-powered beings, like CM or WW, so if you expect me to actually applaud the DESERVED take down of the male dominated hive of villainy in Gotham, then make the action impactful in an R rated movie. And that's what confuses me most - they had the R rating, they COULD have done that. Why are you having them flip around on trampolines and hitting people with an obviously foam mallet when you can go all out? Why cut off someone's face earlier if your third act is essentially a Saturday morning cartoon? That third act was pretty much PG-rated. Again...what was even the point of it all?!

I look forward to more "not cool" reactions, for my... sexism? Or maybe anti-DC bias? Dunno, whatever I'm guilty of.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Look guys and fellow DC fans. These are the worst and best case scenarios going forward.

Worst Case Scenarios

1) Let's start with the worse. WB panics after the disappointing box office results of BOP and intervenes into all the DC films that has inder production (pre, filming or post basically for films announced until 2022).

Chances of actually happening1%:  There is an new regime at DC and WB that don't seem reactionary, that changes course based on good or bad results. If this was the previous regime then it would have been a different story.

2) No more Harley Quinn spinoffs like Gotham City Sirens, BOP sequel or BOP spinoffs.

Chances of actually happening 50%: The possibility of these films not going forward is very real unfortunately.

Best Case Scenarios

1) WB changes course in the marketing department. WB's been hit and miss lately when they used to be the best in the business in years past.

2) Harley Quinn Spinoffs move forward with Margot Robbie enlisting female characters like Poison Ivy in the next movies and a more famous villains for her team to face than Black Mask.

Chances of actually happening 49%: I think if The Suicide Squad is a success next year and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn is a standout once again. WB will give it another chance for a movies starring Harley Quinn.