TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

8 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Look guys and fellow DC fans. These are the worst and best case scenarios going forward.

Worst Case Scenarios

1) Let's start with the worse. WB panics after the disappointing box office results of BOP and intervenes into all the DC films that has inder production (pre, filming or post basically for films announced until 2022).

Chances of actually happening1%:  There is an new regime at DC and WB that don't seem reactionary, that changes course based on good or bad results. If this was the previous regime then it would have been a different story.

2) No more Harley Quinn spinoffs like Gotham City Sirens, BOP sequel or BOP spinoffs.

Chances of actually happening 50%: The possibility of these films not going forward is very real unfortunately.

Best Case Scenarios

1) WB changes course in the marketing department. WB's been hit and miss lately when they used to be the best in the business in years past.

2) Harley Quinn Spinoffs move forward with Margot Robbie enlisting female characters like Poison Ivy in the next movies and a more famous villains for her team to face than Black Mask.

Chances of actually happening 49%: I think if The Suicide Squad is a success next year and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn is a standout once again. WB will give it another chance for a movies starring Harley Quinn.

We’re now in a situation where 5 out of 7 DCEU movies have either underperformed or straight flopped (either critically, commercially or both), and the two that did well were made with their own identities as much as possible by strong filmmakers that minimised their connections to the established narrative. 

Draw your own conclusions as to what WB should do.

2 hours ago, Fielding said:

And remember, she's not just the star of the movie - the whole thing is her baby. She pitched it, co-produced it, insisted on a female director and even had a hand in the writing. So while she may outwardly shrug it off and giggle her way to the next paycheck and puff piece, behind the scenes this failure must surely be a big blow to Robbie Inc.

She wanted the movie to be about female empowerment and she wanted to be closely involved because she loved the character.

There's nothing wrong with either of these.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

She wanted the movie to be about female empowerment and she wanted to be closely involved because she loved the character.

There's nothing wrong with either of these.

Arguably there’s something very wrong with allowing an actor or actress with no prior experience beyond performing, to dictate the narrative and pitch of an entire movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, FunkMiller said:

We’re now in a situation where 5 out of 7 DCEU movies have either underperformed or straight flopped (either critically, commercially or both), and the two that did well were made with their own identities as much as possible by strong filmmakers that minimised their connections to the established narrative. 

Draw your own conclusions as to what WB should do.

They shouldn't do anything at the moment except set aside any immediate plans for Gotham City Sirens. They have WW84 and The Batman coming up as their next set of films. They're both guaranteed to be big. The question is how big and how well received they will be.

Following on from that they will have the sequel to their biggest worldwide DC hit, as well as a movie with The Rock as a superhero (like, ACTUAL stated superhero, not the kind he plays in the FF movies).

SS2 is a bit of a question mark, but that seems like the kind of movie that WILL take advantage of an R rating, unlike BoP and, done on a smaller budget, can be a success.

So...for now, they'll wait and see, I expect, as all these upcoming movies have those strong-willed filmmakers with independent visions, which is what's worked for them. 

2 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

I thought the film was a solid 8/10 but I can see why its not performing well too.  People still don't trust DC and honestly WB/Warner Media as a whole. 

The Snyder era DCEU might have permanently damaged DC and WB as a studio. 

Disney of course has ruthlessly exploited this. 

People don't trust DC? Are you forgetting Joker Aquaman and WW?

I can only speak from my personal opinion on the marketing and the trailer but for me I have no desire to see this movie as it looks completely pointless. I don't even really know what it's about. And sure Harley Quinn got some recognition from Suicide squad but I still have no idea why I as Joe Qmovie going public should want to go see a movie about her.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

Aquaman/Joker didn't really opened like a Billion dollar grossers.

That has nothing to do with my point though. 

1 hour ago, dcmos said:

That's why Aquaman and WW (Snyder wrote this btw) did so bad, right? So no, the Snyder era was great. (MoS and BvS UE are among the best cbm ever for me) We were lucky to have this guy. And you all can keep hating. Honestly, it's just pathetic. BoP (and Shazam) flopped because people just don't like these movies. You need to accept it and stop blaming Snyder, Ayer or anyone else. Grow up already.

People blaming Zack Snyder for this is hilarious. It doesn't hold up. Wonder Woman came right at the time when the DCEU brand was the most damaged at the press, bloggers were calling the franchise a dead horse and spreading rumors of Wonder Woman being a disaster. Audiences didn't care for that negative coverage and the movie opened at over $100 million. They say it was all about the glowing reviews. Well, then why didn't the glowing reviews make Shazam and Birds Of Prey open over $100 million too?

The two poster children for distancing DC from the Snyder era (Justice League, Birds Of Prey) were rejected by audiences and led to embarrassing box office performances, while Wonder Woman and Aquaman had Zack Snyder-style action and trailers and had smashing opening weekends. Aquaman even stole the song from one of Batman v Superman's trailers, LMAO. Let's hope that after Wonder Woman 1984 (which Zack Snyder is producing and will be another box office smash) and James Gunn's Suicide Squad (which looks like another misfire), DC do the right decision and go back on track delivering movies audiences (not critics) want to see.

• Thanks 1

And thank you @reddevil19 for echoing what I've been saying to some of my buddies. 

These are not the physically enhanced or super-powered women. So why exactly should they be able to go around and kick the crap out of everyone with just their strength and might? I mean I get it with Batman. He's not super enhanced but he's got everything else going for him. These are just normal women beating up the scum of society and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Arguably there’s something very wrong with allowing an actor or actress with no prior experience beyond performing, to dictate the narrative and pitch of an entire movie.

Not defending the currently disastrous box office performance that's happening, but Robbie had already produced three films before this under her production banner (with another on the way on top of 'Birds of Prey'). I remember quite a few interesting interviews where she talked about taking on a producer role for 'I, Tonya'.

It's reminds me of what Brad Pitt had done with Plan B.  You can utilise the role to create opportunities/develop projects for yourself and then branch out alongside that. A number of other actors/actress' have moved into that role I don't see why she should be any less capable of doing the same.

Yes sometimes they do a great job, sometimes an awful one, I personally don't think it's the cause of BOP failure in this case.

• Like 7

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

Re Trust thing. They didn't really opened to optimum. Trust brings openings.

Legs and WOM also establish trust. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

Not defending the currently disastrous box office performance that's happening, but Robbie had already produced three films before this under her production banner (with another on the way on top of 'Birds of Prey'). I remember quite a few interesting interviews where she talked about taking on a producer role for 'I, Tonya'.

It's reminds me of what Brad Pitt had done with Plan B.  You can utilise the role to create opportunities/develop projects for yourself and then branch out alongside that. A number of other actors/actress' have moved into that role I don't see why she should be any less capable of doing the same.

Yes sometimes they do a great job, sometimes an awful one, I personally don't think it's the cause of BOP failure in this case.

I meant more on the story side of things. She has no experience writing movies, and certainly not adapting existing comic book properties to the screen.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

And thank you @reddevil19 for echoing what I've been saying to some of my buddies. 

These are not the physically enhanced or super-powered women. So why exactly should they be able to go around and kick the crap out of everyone with just their strength and might? I mean I get it with Batman. He's not super enhanced but he's got everything else going for him. These are just normal women beating up the scum of society and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

The problem is that it COULD be made so that it makes sense. Like, they don't have to be super-powered or look like cage fighters to kick ass, but pretty much none of their fighting styles lead me to believe these are some fantastic warriors. Like, take Black Widow - especially in Winter Soldier. Her fights LOOK physical, the punches and kicks and elbows look like they connect and pack some power behind them. And the acrobatic take-downs, as unrealistic as they might be, still look as they could be used. There's so many scenes in this that are pure WWE showmanship, but without even the illusion of power behind them.

There was one scene where a bat broke limbs. THAT is the kind of thing you need to show constantly to make use of the R rating and give your fights weight. I dunno, the more I think about that third act, the more confused I am as to what exactly they wanted to make. You have multiple stabbings but pretty much no blood, literal trampolines and see-saws that COULD have offered some creative and violent action, but instead it was so cartoonish. 

I won't go any further and I promise not to repeat myself again. I am of the opinion that, if you don't like a movie, express your feelings, but don't beat a dead horse. So, yes, I'll stop here - will just say that perhaps I set myself up for disappointment expecting too much following the reviews/reactions. I do recommend anyone watching this goes in with lowered expectations. And, if you like it - including if you love it even when your expectations were high - again, fantastic. It's not an offensively bad movie, so if you get what you want out of it, that's great. :) 

• Like 2