Jump to content
TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

True.

But Openings show that Trust.

Fair point. Though, of course, AQM was Christmas and Joker essentially a film festival opener. So, kind of hard to judge based on those two.

I think BoP WAS a bit of a test for the brand recognition and trust and, in that respect, it failed. If your movie has no selling points except the brand and it still fails, then that is judgement on the brand itself. Though, even in that respect, it's not like BoP was promoted to hell and back, so that awareness was huge and interest zero. I really don't know... seems like something everyone kinda gave up on.

 

WW84 and The Batman should be able to continue properly building the brand. SS2 will then probably be the next test - I'll be curious what its marketing campaign will be like.

Link to post
Share on other sites

BoP is a flop but not an unimaginable flop. They kept the budget in check and didn't overspend on marketing. 

 

Moreover, they did get good reviews so that's something. Nobody can say the movie flopped because people smelled a turd and stirred clear. Overestimating character popularity or star power, underestimating SS damage, screwing up the rating so that biggest fans of the character couldn't see it, running a bad marketing campaign are all things that could be fixed going forward. They made a movie that those who saw liked. So that's a plus. Start building from there.

 

IMO, for that GCS movie that you all want, best case scenario would be to cast actual stars that have OS recognition as opposed to Jurnee Who, Rosie Who and cult cinema princess MEW. Nothing against the ladies since they did a good job but now that it's clear Margot can't do it alone, up the star power a la KO. Evans and Craig couldn't open a beer by themselves but together plus old household names such as Jamie Lee Curtis and some known character actors and former stars they created a star powered cast. 

 

So take your pick among Zendaya, Emmas, Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Lawrence, Sandra Bullock, etc. Real names. 

 

Milk popular characters. if Marvel could insert Tony in SMH to assure new Spiderman is a big hit, than GCS should pinch their noses and let Batman and/or Joker attract audience even if that defies the Girl Power idea somewhat. But take one for the team now so you won't have to later. 

 

In conclusion, everyone's smart in hindsight, even me. :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

People blaming Zack Snyder for this is hilarious. It doesn't hold up. Wonder Woman came right at the time when the DCEU brand was the most damaged at the press, bloggers were calling the franchise a dead horse and spreading rumors of Wonder Woman being a disaster. Audiences didn't care for that negative coverage and the movie opened at over $100 million. They say it was all about the glowing reviews. Well, then why didn't the glowing reviews make Shazam and Birds Of Prey open over $100 million too?

 

The two poster children for distancing DC from the Snyder era (Justice League, Birds Of Prey) were rejected by audiences and led to embarrassing box office performances, while Wonder Woman and Aquaman had Zack Snyder-style action and trailers and had smashing opening weekends. Aquaman even stole the song from one of Batman v Superman's trailers, LMAO. Let's hope that after Wonder Woman 1984 (which Zack Snyder is producing and will be another box office smash) and James Gunn's Suicide Squad (which looks like another misfire), DC do the right decision and go back on track delivering movies audiences (not critics) want to see.

your delusion shows

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The delusion on some of the Synder stans that the DCEU falling apart isn’t his fault and he’s the sole reason why Wonder Woman (which yes he did write and cast Gal Gadot, but simultaneously discount the works of Patty Jenkins and the other crew) succeeeded, ignoring the fact that BVS still has the worst legs for a CBM and something that should’ve done $1B on paper with ease, failed to jump to $900M, or saying Suicide Squad had good WOM and Snyder was responsible for it. Yet discounting efforts like Aquaman and Joker (while not DCEU was still a big movie) that were done without him or part of the reasons why JL which he was credited for, fell was because of BVS WOM.

 

At best, you guys are a vocal minority.

 

 

Though I do think a key problem from Shazam and BoP underperforming was WB’s new marketing. I get they have been burned by comic con trailers but doing two trailers spaced apart by months and then minimal ads until the week for your tentpoles doesn’t really work imho.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The delusion on some of the Synder stans that the DCEU falling apart isn’t his fault and he’s the sole reason why Wonder Woman (which yes he did write and cast Gal Gadot, but simultaneously discount the works of Patty Jenkins and the other crew) succeeeded, ignoring the fact that BVS still has the worst legs for a CBM and something that should’ve done $1B on paper with ease, failed to jump to $900M, or saying Suicide Squad had good WOM and Snyder was responsible for it. Yet discounting efforts like Aquaman and Joker (while not DCEU was still a big movie) that were done without him or part of the reasons why JL which he was credited for, fell was because of BVS WOM.

 

At best, you guys are a vocal minority.

 

 

Though I do think a key problem from Shazam and BoP underperforming was WB’s new marketing. I get they have been burned by comic con trailers but doing two trailers spaced apart by months and then minimal ads until the week for your tentpoles doesn’t really work imho.

Surprised it took this long for a reasonable post on here

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If WW84 somehow goes below WW, Walter Hamada will get the boot, probably. He inherited Aquaman and Joker from previous management, and he was against making Joker because it didn't follow their "winning formula", according to Todd Phillips.

Edited by TheUndertaker
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheUndertaker said:

If WW84 somehow goes below WW, Walter Hamada will get the boot, probably. He inherited Aquaman and Joker from previous management, and he was against making Joker because it didn't follow their "winning formula", according to Todd Phillips.

The Batman is the big test, I think. If they get that right, it sets things up nicely for the future. If they screw it up by interfering with what Matt Reeves is doing, or insist on saddling it with a previous continuity, it might kill off Hamada’s leadership. Hell, it’d probably kill off DC at the cinema altogether. They simply can’t afford to mess Batman up again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

am sorry but am missing the obvious there.

The sequels all opened year after year with about a $3m difference in weekend gross. Very consistent for a few years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheUndertaker said:

If WW84 somehow goes below WW, Walter Hamada will get the boot, probably. He inherited Aquaman and Joker from previous management, and he was against making Joker because it didn't follow their "winning formula", according to Todd Phillips.

Todd Phillips should be their Kevin Feige

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Todd Phillips should be their Kevin Feige

They don’t need a Kevin Feige, they just need to properly establish that their movies are now unconnected... instead of half-assing it like they are now. Put the multiverse front and centre, let filmmakers do what they want, and stop trying to have your cake and eat it by still pushing the DCEU, but also claiming to do standalones. One or the other. I thought they were going clean on more standalone projects, but BoP and Twoicide Squad don’t bear this out.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

They don’t need a Kevin Feige, they just need to properly establish that their movies are now unconnected... instead of half-assing it like they are now. Put the multiverse front and centre, let filmmakers do what they want, and stop trying to have your cake and eat it by still pushing the DCEU, but also claiming to do standalones. One or the other. I thought they were going clean on more standalone projects, but BoP and Twoicide Squad don’t bear this out.

Maybe I should put an “/s” at the end next time...

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Wonder Woman (which yes he did write and cast Gal Gadot,

He didn't write it. It was mostly Allan Heinberg with Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns adding finishing touches. Also, Patty Jenkins said that Snyder's work was mostly about "arranging things" in the early stages.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.