TMP

Weekend Thread | Birds of Prey $33.25M Weekend

To the Snyder stans:

Snyder directed a divisive Superman solo that already set some wary eyes on the audience, and then followed it up with a poorly reviewed mega crossover event that y'all brag about being a massive hit but it barely broke even on its budget and had the obligation to do a lot more than what it did, nevermind having more than 1.9x legs. Alongside the bad wom and poor marketing, BVS itself was the 3rd of key reasons why Justice League tanked. The BVS, JL and Suicide Squad trio killed the audience's trust on the DC brand, and even then, DC has shown itself unscathed in moments.

Wonder Woman was indeed written and cast by him, but the direction was Patty Jenkins' and the direction she chose for the movie was not Snydery, apart from a couple of elements. Aquaman had NOTHING to do with Snyder besides the casting of Momoa and Heard, that was a movie with a clear and distinct identity. Joker had ZERO to do with Snyder. Shazam was an underperformer (though profitable), but blame poor marketing and scheduling on WB's part because the wom was there. Even Suicide Squad, which was only produced by Snyder, bad wom'ted itself to a bigger gross than either Man Of Steel or JL, though Birds Of Prey is paying for its sins along horrible marketing as well (Ayer is partially to blame for that, although the SS disaster is on WB themselves too).

Your delusion has no end, you fucking maniacs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I think BoP is the type of CBM that needs a proper shared universe with an overarching story. Unknown characters except for Harley. Low budget, trailers that didnt impress many at all. On it's own it just doesnt have the draw. It has a "B" movie feeling over it.

I think many CBM fans just feels like they can miss this one without missing anything important. This is where MCU films are so good, even a "small" MCU film would drive the overarching story forward and people felt like they cant miss out on it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

To the Snyder stans:

Snyder directed a divisive Superman solo that already set some wary eyes on the audience, and then followed it up with a poorly reviewed mega crossover event that y'all brag about being a massive hit but it barely broke even on its budget and had the obligation to do a lot more than what it did, nevermind having more than 1.9x legs. Alongside the bad wom and poor marketing, BVS itself was the 3rd of key reasons why Justice League tanked. The BVS, JL and Suicide Squad trio killed the audience's trust on the DC brand, and even then, DC has shown itself unscathed in moments.

Wonder Woman was indeed written and cast by him, but the direction was Patty Jenkins' and the direction she chose for the movie was not Snydery, apart from a couple of elements. Aquaman had NOTHING to do with Snyder besides the casting of Momoa and Heard, that was a movie with a clear and distinct identity. Joker had ZERO to do with Snyder. Shazam was an underperformer (though profitable), but blame poor marketing and scheduling on WB's part because the wom was there. Even Suicide Squad, which was only produced by Snyder, bad wom'ted itself to a bigger gross than either Man Of Steel or JL, though Birds Of Prey is paying for its sins along horrible marketing as well (Ayer is partially to blame for that, although the SS disaster is on WB themselves too).

Your delusion has no end, you fucking maniacs.

The one two punch of BvS and Suicide Squad hamstrung the entire venture right out of the gate. Those films are HATED by so very many people. WB should have had the foresight to not plan their entire franchise around movies before they had seen how they performed, and then had the guts to pull Justice League completely.

Jenkins and Wan are such strong filmmakers that they were able to successfully move their characters away from the Snyder narrative. Reeves will continue that trend... though The Batman looks clearly like a reboot anyway. Bird Of Prey clearly didn’t move away anywhere near enough, and I have grave misgivings about The Suicide Squad.

Dare I say it, Robbie might be suffering from the same fate as Cavill - great actors in terrible movies (BvS and SS) that probably need replacing.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

The one two punch of BvS and Suicide Squad hamstrung the entire venture right out of the gate. Those films are HATED by so very many people. WB should have had the foresight to not plan their entire franchise around movies before they had seen how they performed, and then had the guts to pull Justice League completely.

Jenkins and Wan are such strong filmmakers that they were able to successfully move their characters away from the Snyder narrative. Reeves will continue that trend... though The Batman looks clearly like a reboot anyway. Bird Of Prey clearly didn’t move away anywhere near enough, and I have grave misgivings about The Suicide Squad.

Dare I say it, Robbie might be suffering from the same fate as Cavill - great actors in terrible movies (BvS and SS) that probably need replacing.

Gadot's Wonder Woman and Momoa's Aquaman are Snyder's version of these characters. He cast the actors, he created the look, he established their power set in his movies & pushed for these solo movies to be made when WB were hesitant. Claiming that Wan and Jenkins moved away from him is laughable. They can't. Their movies were made when he was still active in WB till 2017.

Edited by YSLDC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Lol I love Mission Impossible Fallout, but I certainly wouldn’t call Cavill a “great actor”. Especially compared to Robbie, who has 2 Oscar nominations already (and might get a third for that David O Russell film). Also if Gunn’s Squad movie gets good reviews she would have been in 2/3 well received DC films, compared to Cavill’s 0/3 track record

• Like 1

SS and Venom are in a completely different league for me. Venom is an average but pleasing (for the Venom moments alone) time-pass watch - a gentleman's C+ at the very least. SS has moving images and beyond that it's not a movie.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, baumer said:

@Litio why the not cool insignia for me saying i have no desire to see BOP?

The not cool insignia is for you saying people trust in DC. I will switch to 'WTF' if you prefer.
What I see is that if people trusted in DC, Shazam and Birds of Prey would have a bigger box office. People went to see WW, Joker and Aquaman because of the buzz the films were having and because of word of mouth and good reviews. Brand films get more buzz than original films. It doesn't mean that people trust in DC.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

BoP is a flop but not an unimaginable flop. They kept the budget in check and didn't overspend on marketing. 

Moreover, they did get good reviews so that's something. Nobody can say the movie flopped because people smelled a turd and stirred clear. Overestimating character popularity or star power, underestimating SS damage, screwing up the rating so that biggest fans of the character couldn't see it, running a bad marketing campaign are all things that could be fixed going forward. They made a movie that those who saw liked. So that's a plus. Start building from there.

IMO, for that GCS movie that you all want, best case scenario would be to cast actual stars that have OS recognition as opposed to Jurnee Who, Rosie Who and cult cinema princess MEW. Nothing against the ladies since they did a good job but now that it's clear Margot can't do it alone, up the star power a la KO. Evans and Craig couldn't open a beer by themselves but together plus old household names such as Jamie Lee Curtis and some known character actors and former stars they created a star powered cast. 

So take your pick among Zendaya, Emmas, Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Lawrence, Sandra Bullock, etc. Real names. 

Milk popular characters. if Marvel could insert Tony in SMH to assure new Spiderman is a big hit, than GCS should pinch their noses and let Batman and/or Joker attract audience even if that defies the Girl Power idea somewhat. But take one for the team now so you won't have to later. 

In conclusion, everyone's smart in hindsight, even me. :lol:

All those names will probably join the MCU sooner or later. I mean Emma Stone passed on WW84 and Wonder Woman is WBs MVP. I think they're going to be stuck with mid level actors for a min. I think it's better for them to cast big names in one and done supporting roles and the leads to up-in-coming talent to build them into Superstars

Edited by BeastByTheBay
  • ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Gadot's Wonder Woman and Momoa's Aquaman are Snyder's version of these characters. He cast the actors, he created the look, he established their power set in his movies & pushed for these solo movies to be made when WB were hesitant. Claiming that Wan and Jenkins moved away from him is laughable. They can't. Their movies were made when he was still active in WB till 2017.

Lol people still pushing that narrative. Both their movies are clearly set in the universe he created. Not to mention Wan himself consulted with him against WB's wishes. The only one moving away is Batman

• Like 2

Zack synder consulted on both Aquaman and Wonder Woman.  Jenkins and Wan took thoes characters and made a way better movie since they are talented directors. They likely took Snyder under their wings and mentored him after his three failures at DC. Synder introduced us to the characters but it was Jenkins and Wan who did those characters justice. 

Edited by Curtis1986

11 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Lol people still pushing that narrative. Both their movies are clearly set in the universe he created. Not to mention Wan himself consulted with him against WB's wishes. The only one moving away is Batman

He did not consult Snyder. He showed him the finished product and there were no changes after that.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BeastByTheBay said:

All those names will probably join the MCU sooner or later. I mean Emma Stone passed on WW84 and Wonder Woman is WBs MVP. I think they're going to be stuck with mid level actors for a min. I think it's better for them to cast big names in one and done supporting roles and the leads to up-in-coming talent to build them into Superstars

You really need to cut this shit out.

A. casting big names in supporting roles and having lesser known - or in the case of RDJ, down-on-their-luck - actors for leads is what MCU have done as well

B. Said actors in supporting roles are not doing this for artistic integrity, they're doing it for the money. If WB throws enough money at an actor, there's a good chance that, if they're open to superhero movies in general, they'll take the role, without giving a shit if it's Marvel or DC, knowing full well they may never even watch the movie in its entirety. You using Emma Stone as some example means fuck all.

• Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

For the DCEU reference...

DC let the CW shows split up the DCEU in their huge winter crossover (the Crisis ones).  Even DC movie folks showed and you have pretty much separate earths for however many different concepts and plans are running around (Titans on 1, the CW folks on 1, Swamp Thing on 1, Joker on 1, etc, etc, etc).  So, they left open the idea they COULD bring all the universes together, but that they could also ignore absolutely everything from movie to movie and say they were on separate earths...

53 minutes ago, Essem said:

I think BoP is the type of CBM that needs a proper shared universe with an overarching story. Unknown characters except for Harley. Low budget, trailers that didnt impress many at all. On it's own it just doesnt have the draw. It has a "B" movie feeling over it.

I think many CBM fans just feels like they can miss this one without missing anything important. This is where MCU films are so good, even a "small" MCU film would drive the overarching story forward and people felt like they cant miss out on it.

Very true.

The most important goal of the marketing campaign of a superhero movie is convincing people that it's a must see in the respective cinematic universe. Either that or you need to have the novelty factor like WW or Joker.